My Carrier's Offered Me an Early Upgrade. Do I Get the Lumia 830, or Wait for the 640?

jm5001

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I've got an HTC 8X that I've had on Bell Mobile up here in Canada for two and a half years. It's still a reliable phone, but it's starting to show its age, and I'm thinking about upgrading.

My contract doesn't run out until September, but Bell said they can get me out early if I get a new phone with them. They're down to 2-year contracts, down from the 3-years they had back when I got this phone, and one of the phones they offer is the Nokia Lumia 830, which is a mighty tempting piece of kit.

However, with Windows 10 for phones just over the horizon, and some tantalizing unlocked phones being made available in the Canadian market, not the least of which includes the Blu Win HD LTE, the Yezz Billy 5S (possibly), and of course the Lumia 640 and maybe 640 XL, I'm debating about whether I should wait it out until September.

I'm thinking of going on a second-tier carrier as well, since they're cheaper and have more features than Bell ever offered me, and I might be moving around a lot in the next few years, possibly even to Europe, so having a phone where I can just cancel my service and pop in a local SIM card wherever I move to (especially a dual-SIM), might be more useful than having to buy out of a contract, or pass it off on someone else.

What do you think is the best option? Is the 640 a better potential choice than the 830? Are one of the other unlocked phones on the Microsoft Store a better option still?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Look at it this way, the 640 has neither pureview, zeiss optics (only the 640 XL has the zeiss optics - no pureview) & wireless charging. The FFC is similar to the 830. You get more on the 830 in regards to the screen, so on paper really the 830 is a no brainer.

Not to mention the 16gb of internal storage on the 830 compared to 8gb on the 640, which would be more along the lines of 14gb / 6gb approx.

It boils down to what you prefer however since your contract ends in September, that may work out in your favour as the anticipated launch of Windows 10 is not too far away.

jm5001

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The Blu Win HD LTE is also a compelling option, since it has a slightly beefier processor, a bigger battery, and I can get it unlocked. People have been telling me there's a noticeable performance difference between the Snapdragon 400 and 410, and even between the Snapdragon 400 and the old S4 Krait in my HTC 8X (though that could just be Qualcomm fanboys pitching a fit).

The Lumia 830, of course, has a lot of pluses over it, like exclusive apps, a sharper camera, wireless charging, and it just looks more slick. Considering I'm coming from an HTC 8X, though, which dropped its exclusive app support (such as it was) pretty quickly, the Lumia-exclusive app suite might not be that big a deal to me.

It has some other perks over the Blu which makes me think twice, though, like that the Blu's microSD card slot only takes up to a 32GB card (lame), and the 830 has a removable battery, while the Blu doesn't. Considering one of my bigger grievances with the HTC 8X is its absolutely minuscule 1800mAh battery, being able to swap out my phone's battery if it starts holding less charge, or even if I just don't want to recharge it, is certainly appealing. The 830's aluminum build quality will also almost certainly hold up better than the Blu's soft-touch plastic.

And it being unlocked is a MAJOR sticking point for me. Considering people have criticized the 830 for being overpriced, the Blu Win HD is a cheaper option, and the upcoming 640 might be cheaper still. Really, if Bell tries to stick me on a stingy phone plan with the 830, that might be the dealbreaker for me. We'll have to see.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Based on your description of your situation, getting locked into a contract doesn't sound like a good idea. And...keep in mind the 830 on Bell (and Telus) is your most expensive option ($500.00). So, getting out of the contract, if need be, will be expensive. And, as you said, their plans are overpriced.

If it were me, I'd be waiting it out until September and then go unlocked at that point. At the very least, by that time we should have a better idea of what's coming for new phones. If you need a new phone now....go with some of the cheaper options you've already mentioned: one those will do until a better option comes (hopefully) in the fall.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Given the options you have I would go Unlocked Microsoft 640XL. As nice as the 830 is, you would be locked to contract and have to buy out and unlock the phone.
Windows 10 for phone should not really be a factor, as all handsets you have talked about should get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss