My experience with Windows 10 TP on Lumia 1520

udupa1982

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had installed the TP earlier but it was soo buggy that i couldn't even manage it for more than 2 days on my primary device. But after the latest update i felt like i installing and I, again installed the TP on my primary 1520 over the weekend and been using it since then.

In my opinion it has improved a lot and there are quite a few changes and fixes,
Now dialer is more stable and UI is much more refined. Actually incoming/outgoing call UI is so much better than WP 8,1 and i love this UI. Caller ID/Images are now circular and the dialer does not show square images of the individual who's calling. Dialer seems faster and when I'm dialing, I can see call history and that means dialer is not 100% opaque and this is a nice touch.
Also, setting UI is much more refined and responsive but older setting apps are thrown out of setting and are now part of normal app list and this bugs the hell out of me.
Brightness is does not change depending on the ambient light and its a bug which im certain of getting fixed.
I cannot swipe to dismiss the notification and i think its a OS feature. In my opinion, MS removed swipe to dismiss notification so that they can implement notification better.
Cortana is broken but there are improvements from earlier builds and it mostly works now.

I still believe that the users should be able to rearrange apps depending on frequency of use which is missing and recently installed apps on top feature is basically useless.
Also, most of the MS apps are not even transparent (weather/news/outlook/calender etc). How can MS expect other developrs to follow its design language when MS doesn't even follow it properly.

Last but not the least, i love the new start screen my friends who use the iphone say "finally MS fixed the start screen". So, in my opinion people didnt like WP because of its UI and MS realized it and course correcting its direction with windows 10.
Coming back to start screen, its especially buggy on my lumia and resetting it hasn't helped one bit.
I think home launcher crashes too many times and thats why many users are noticing or seeing "resuming" screen when they press home button and i see it whenever i press home.
Also, when i call all apps in multitasking OS doesnt go back to home screen instead i see "resuming" on my phone.
I also have been noticing "mouse pointer" on my phone and it appears whenever there is a crash or "resuming" screen. MS should optimize the OS faster and on devices with 2GB+ RAM resuming screen shouldn't even appear.
Resuming is similar to lag from earlier builds of android and everyone hated android for it.

Coming to home screen, it is super buggy as it crashes and renders the backgroudn images 3/4 of the screen and thats where it stays till I go into setting and fix it by resetting it. Also, i hate folders on this screen and dont even get me started on the folders. I have OCD when it comes to my home screen how it looks and folders are like a freaking rotten eggs on my screen.
Imo, they should move folders to app list and make app lists combine-able so that I can combine apps what i want together and arrange them the way i want and keep it in app list depending on priorities.

Other than these issues I'm glad to say that I can use my phone as a daily driver with Win 10. I use it as my work phone and it functions just fine.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about the others, but Calendar is transparent :) just set the start to "tile" (settings)..

and recently installed apps on top feature is basically useless.

This might be useless for you, but not for others (not many). I would rather have the most used apps up there, but after a bit I got used to having the recently installed apps there and have been using the option quite often. It comes down to how often you download apps.. I download apps quite often (obviously)..

How can MS expect other developrs to follow its design language when MS doesn't even follow it properly.

Do we really have to give them a hard time about this???

So, in my opinion people didnt like WP because of its UI and MS realized it and course correcting its direction with windows 10.

I can point you to a lot of users who disagree with the current direction MS is going. So again, it comes down to personal preferences.

Also, i hate folders on this screen and dont even get me started on the folders. I have OCD when it comes to my home screen how it looks and folders are like a freaking rotten eggs on my screen.

A lot of users love folders, I do as well.. I can keep certain apps that belong together.. well.. together..

All in all I enjoyed your review, but I have to say, MS can't please everyone :)

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this feedback. Like you I also installed and rolled back on the first build on my 1520. Even now with what you mention I feel I need to wait a tad bit more for bug fixes and until I can access the Store Beta to download office applications. That said, I am glad there are improvements from the first build. I think I will be updating on the next release just not this one. I will track your forum for more updates as you use the OS. Cheers

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this feedback. Like you I also installed and rolled back on the first build on my 1520. Even now with what you mention I feel I need to wait a tad bit more for bug fixes and until I can access the Store Beta to download office applications. That said, I am glad there are improvements from the first build. I think I will be updating on the next release just not this one. I will track your forum for more updates as you use the OS. Cheers

Office applications are now available :) and they work well enough. Haven't done intensive work on my phone yet.. Whenever you do update again, drop us another review :) We love to hear from everyone:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria