My Issues with Nokia Lumia 820...

ahashan21

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
1. File manager...
Where is the file manager ?
How can I open a PDF file saved on my SD card ?!

2. App close button...
There is no app close button, which is very painful. In browser, if I want to close it, I have to go all through backwards to close it, until I go to the first page.

3. Multi tasking ...
Symbian is better than windows phone in terms of multi tasking. Its ok, we can use back button as opening all running tasks , but we really want true multi tasking. What's the use of this processor then ?

4. Notification light...
Where is the blinking light for missed call or SMS alerts ?
Windows icon should blink...

5. Battery...
Battery drains very quickly. You suppose people will use this phone only for browsing and calling ?!!
Then what's the use to buy a phone with this price ?

6. Quick notes...
I always have to open OneNote for this. Should have a notepad like app, for txt support. I've always been using the notes app in Symbian.

7. Poor camera...
Lumia 820 has very poor front camera, main camera is not so good either. I expected it to be better than N8 at least.

8. Accessories...
The accessories are not available, even the spare battery. I wanted the ruggedized case very much, but I don?t know, when will it be available in Dubai :(

I have been using Nokia phone from my second phone. The first one was NEC e313. Probably Nokia Lumia 820 is my 13th in 7 years.

Andy M

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
1. Install a PDF Reader app, most are free. That should solve the problem of not being able to access the memory card.

2. Just press the Windows (middle, bottom of screen) button. That closes the app and returns you to the start screen. I too would like a close app button, but it would do the same thing as the Windows button.

3. Multitasking would eat the battery big time especially if apps continued to run in the background. I'm glad that it is not implemented on this phone like it was on my Nokia N95 8GB. Running but minimised apps on that phone ate through the battery in no time and most of the time I was not even aware that they were still running. On the Lumia 820 some apps do run in the background though, which probably explains the poor battery life. I wish a savvy app developer would create an app to KILL those background processes though :winktongue:

4. I agree, the Windows button should flash or at least an icon should be visible to inform you that a missed call or a message was available. The flashing Windows button would also eat battery power so maybe that's why it is not implemented?

5. I have to agree that battery performance is not too good. It is a powerful phone though and as with any such device, battery performance will never be good, unless we can have a nuclear battery or something like that ... :evil:

6. Install a notepad app. Most are free and offer pretty good options too.

7. The cameras on this phone are like something from Noah's ark. Truely abysmal when compared to anything else including my ancient Panasonic Lumix 2MP camera from around 2000 or so.

8. Accessories are scarce everywhere except the UK as far as I can tell. Even they don't have a great selection though.

These are not the only problems I find with the Lumia 820.

A) The volume, power and camera buttons are a bit inconvenient at times and I often press them at inappropriate times :(
Why not put the volume buttons on the top or bottom of the phone?

B) The speaker placement would have to rate as the dumbest of all time, especially if you have poor hearing like me. Nokia, the speaker goes at the TOP of the phone ... doh!!! Of course they include the hands free, but not everyone likes or uses these, and that includes me.

C) The screen sensitivity seems to vary at times. Sometimes it's overly sensitive and at other times it's not sensitive enough. I'm not sure what's going on with that? It could be just my fumble fingers I guess ... :grin:

OK, rant over, time to step down from the soap box ... :grin:

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm some of the named issues. But i simply don't understand the camera problem.

Just point 1,2 and 4 are annoying me and i think should be changed.

Luiskp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Comments:

5. Thats true, the battery performance its not the best. After 2 weeks of use, improved a lot (compared to first weeks)

7. For my toughts the camera is one of the Best i had. Coming from Xperia Play, BB 9360, Xperia Mini Pro.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
5. Thats true, the battery performance its not the best. After 2 weeks of use, improved a lot (compared to first weeks)

My 820's battery has been pretty awesome since day 1. Right on par with the iPhone 4 I had, and the iPhone 3GS before that.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Even though most consider it ugly, the battery in my 810 is a champ. I was pissed about the 920 exclusivity, but I think this is the top 800 series wp8.

Accessories have been a real pain to find, I agree.

Btw, why do you need to close the browser? This shouldn't be "running" in the background.

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
A bit late, but if you really want to close the browser, you can just press the '...' button, open tabs, and close each active tab. After you've done so, you can press the backspace and internet explorer will be closed. Is a lot faster than revisiting every opened page, especially if you've opened a lot of them during your session.

Srikanth Raj

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
dude are you sure will it improve the battery after few days? i bought and i had 47% and it got drained with in 1.30 hour with continues usage.
please tell me how much you getting now with heavy usage? how much did it improved ?

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
1. File manager...
Where is the file manager ?
How can I open a PDF file saved on my SD card ?!

2. App close button...
There is no app close button, which is very painful. In browser, if I want to close it, I have to go all through backwards to close it, until I go to the first page.

A bit late, but if you really want to close the browser, you can just press the '...' button, open tabs, and close each active tab. After you've done so, you can press the backspace and internet explorer will be closed. Is a lot faster than revisiting every opened page, especially if you've opened a lot of them during your session.

In settings in IE, you can also set the button to the left of the URL box (by default refresh) to be the "tabs" button

3. Multi tasking ...
Symbian is better than windows phone in terms of multi tasking. Its ok, we can use back button as opening all running tasks , but we really want true multi tasking. What's the use of this processor then ?

4. Notification light...
Where is the blinking light for missed call or SMS alerts ?
Windows icon should blink...

5. Battery...
Battery drains very quickly. You suppose people will use this phone only for browsing and calling ?!!
Then what's the use to buy a phone with this price ?

6. Quick notes...
I always have to open OneNote for this. Should have a notepad like app, for txt support. I've always been using the notes app in Symbian.

7. Poor camera...
Lumia 820 has very poor front camera, main camera is not so good either. I expected it to be better than N8 at least.

8. Accessories...
The accessories are not available, even the spare battery. I wanted the ruggedized case very much, but I don?t know, when will it be available in Dubai :(

I have been using Nokia phone from my second phone. The first one was NEC e313. Probably Nokia Lumia 820 is my 13th in 7 years.

1. Get a PDF reader, you then have the option to open PDF's

2. Click on the tabs option, close the tab and then hit back. Or press the windows button.

3. What type of multitasking do you want? When you go back to the home screen that tombstones an app, then it doesn't use any memory or anything at all until re opened.

4. Notification light is the choice of hardware manufacturers. Something that Nokia needs to do, soon.

5. Battery is very good on the 820, I compared it to a GS3 with NFC, bluetooth, wireless and mobile data on, the 820 won with moderate usage. Also, if you don't have a 4G plan, turn off 4G.

6. There are many apps that save as .txt - Search results for "quick notes" | Windows Phone (United Kingdom)

7. Front camera isn't too fantastic I do have to say, but the rear camera is fantastic! Maybe you're using it wrong.

8. eBay.

Katsy One

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, don't want to spam the forum with another thread, so here is my issue.

I experience lags while navigating/scrolling on a web page. Phone reacts to touches with a short delay. This mostly happens to heavy websites, such as WPcentral, for example.

Have the latest OS version, wich is Portico, and also all those Nokia system apps are updated.

How do I fix that?

rnk

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Newbie here ... planning to go for a 820...
just wondering: if there is no file manager, what ever we download can be opened by specific applications (pdf on a pdf reader, .mp3 on a music player),
but, could we ever save the files that were donwloaded at all ?

thanks

wolfgang keth

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
battery performance improved for me after 15 days . Main point is when you put the phone for charge , leave it there untill its 100% full and each time when you use till to drain the battery tilll the end and then charge it .

Preetam Gogate

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

I bought 820 a week back. Having some awesome time with it. Camera, navigation, look and interface works awesome for me. Now after these 7 good days.. I realized some issues..

1. My phone is heating up unusually. (No unnecessary apps, no background tasks, tap+send n other stuff is off) . Phone is on battery saver mode.

2. Random reboots : Its really random. I uninstalled each and every unwanted app. checked settings. but still its rebooting randomly. Its annoying to have this bug. Its not affecting any operation as its pretty fast ...but still why would one have this kinda bug in the phone.. ?? I read somewhere its because of Skype .. which is ****ty on WP8. let me know about this..

I am almost there to contact the store and getting replacement. Suggest me something good. Thanks.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
1. Mine gets hot if I use anything that uses the GPS, especially Nokia HERE.
2. My reboots every couple of days and/or freezes so I have to reboot. I just reboot it on my own every couple of days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo