My system has 2 GB of RAM. Should I use 32 or 64 bit W10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Does not matter you either have 32 or64 bit processor.go to my computer right click and properties.you should find out under system.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

64bit has slightly better security. But will be less efficient. If you think you will add more RAM later, use 64bit. If RAM is fixed, use 32bit to get the most out of the hardware.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
re:

I am asking which should I prefer???

Compared to their 32bit counterparts, 64bit OSes and software require more RAM to do the exact same thing. That's why you should prefer the 32bit version, as this will lower your RAM usage by roughly 10%. Lowering RAM consumption is a particularly good thing if you've got only 2GB of RAM to work with, as that will allow you to do more before your device runs low on RAM and starts swapping memory pages to your page file.

That's also why every new device with 2GB of RAM has the 32bit OS pre-installed. You would be wise to do the same.

The 64bit OS only makes sense with 4GB or more.

Some may make the argument that 64bit systems have performance advantages, but ask them to show a study/benchmark demonstrating this on the PC and they will come up empty handed. At least for the average web/office/mail user it's a completely irrelevant (theoretical without practical implications) argument. The RAM savings on 32bit systems will occasionally lead to far more tangible benefits.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
re:

ASLR is better - larger address space. Plus can use EPM etc. Enhanced Protected Mode - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Thank you for the clarification!

IMHO ASLR is a protection mechanism that serves primarily as a script-kiddie deterrent (it requires a lot more knowledge and time to write an exploit that can successfully attack an ASLR protected process) and is relevant as a countermeasure only when a system was already successfully infected (I tend to prefer security measures that prevent infection in the first place). At heart, ASLR is an example of security through obscurity, which in security circles isn't considered real security at all. A 64bit system can be more obscure (the attacker must wade through more muck before getting to the good stuff), but IMHO that's nothing that will stop a well educated hacker, so I don't think this is really worth listing as an advantage of 64bit Windows. Prior to Windows 8 it would have been, but Windows 8 has very much improved ASLR on 32bit Systems.

It's my understanding that EPM is simply a collection of security measures specifically for IE. AFAIK (although I'm not an expert) the security features provided by EPM are identical on 32 and 64 bit systems except for one single component... the already mentioned ASLR.

In theory you're absolutely right, I'm just not convinced it matters in practice.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

Thank you for the clarification!

IMHO ASLR is a protection mechanism that serves primarily as a script-kiddie deterrent (it requires a lot more knowledge and time to write an exploit that can successfully attack an ASLR protected process) and is relevant as a countermeasure only when a system was already successfully infected (I tend to prefer security measures that prevent infection in the first place). At heart, ASLR is an example of security through obscurity, which in security circles isn't considered real security at all. A 64bit system can be more obscure (the attacker must wade through more muck before getting to the good stuff), but IMHO that's nothing that will stop a well educated hacker, so I don't think this is really worth listing as an advantage of 64bit Windows. Prior to Windows 8 it would have been, but Windows 8 has very much improved ASLR on 32bit Systems.
Source? AFAIK only 64bit has a high entropy ASLR.

It's my understanding that EPM is simply a collection of security measures specifically for IE. AFAIK (although I'm not an expert) the security features provided by EPM are identical on 32 and 64 bit systems except for one single component... the already mentioned ASLR.

In theory you're absolutely right, I'm just not convinced it matters in practice.

Source? AFAIK EPM is a 64bit only feature. It inherently blocks all 32bit ActiveX which is a massive win for security as well as sandboxing IE processes.

All big security gains and not at all just through obscurity.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
re:

Source? AFAIK EPM is a 64bit only feature. It inherently blocks all 32bit ActiveX which is a massive win for security as well as sandboxing IE processes.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think the source you provided already says pretty much everything:

Protection Mode (PM) in IE7 integrates these security features:

• User Account Control
  • Mandatory Integrity Control (MIC)
  • User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI)
All of the above is identical on 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows. Enhanced Protection Mode (EPM) in IE10 includes all of the above, and ads to that the following:

• Protecting your personal information
  • Protecting your corporate assets
  • 64-bit processes

Of those additional three, only the last one is specific to 64bit versions of Windows, which is basically 64 bit ASLR. I don't see anything else on that list which is specific to 64bit Windows, which I take to mean that EPM is not a 64 bit only "feature". I can even compile IE extensions for EPM compatibility on 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows.

EDIT: The fact that I can enable EPM in IE on 32 bit versions of Windows also suggests it's not specific to 64 bit Windows.

Source? AFAIK only 64bit has a high entropy ASLR.

Yes, it has high entropy ASLR. My question to you is how relevant is that? None of the real ASLR exploits (outside of university settings) I've heard of were ever specifically written to attack 32 bit Windows only, or in other words, none of those exploits used brute force as their primary method of attack.

Maybe you'd say those brute force attacks don't exist because 64 bit ASLR is so successful. I'd believe that, but then again, if they don't exist, what disadvantage does 32bit Windows have exactly? IMHO none.

After saying that, it kind or reminds of vaccination, where you don't need a 100% immunity level to protect the entire herd.

Last edited:

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's on Microsoft's website for the OS requirements, and if that isn't obvious enough then for the average consumer like you, best to stick with 32bit, and probably turn on UAC to highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCC