New Forum Design: Official Feedback Thread

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@GioLogist

Hyperlinks now look just like regular text.

Click Me

Could we maybe fix that? I really don't want to have to drag my cursor over each and every word of each and every post to see if there are any clickable links. I mean, I understand that you want to make everything plain, dull, oversimplified and as stultifying as iPhone, but this is maybe going too far.

I just want to scream and then break things and then maybe have a nice crying jag.

Note that I'm retired even though the change has not been made to my profile yet so this is not an official statement of any kind. It's getting harder to stay around just to read a few posts a day...

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
On PC (W10) IE11 browser Windows Central forums partially shows but is unresponsive to any clicks anywhere. Edge works, but I don't use Edge b/c it won't open links w/focus in new tabs. WP app works tho.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Why doesn't it make use of the browser width instead of a fixed size? Lots of wasted empty space on the left and right when maximized.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why doesn't it make use of the browser width instead of a fixed size? Lots of wasted empty space on the left and right when maximized.

Because that is another area they want to tuck ads into. If you run the site without Ad Block (like I have to do at work) it loads an advertisement in the background as a wallpaper and then lays the forum on top of it as a "window" and you can see bits of tiled advert spilling over on those edges.

To solve this partially, click the right arrow in the upper right corner of the top advert in the right margin. It expands the board and reclaims the space. You end up seeing a WC pink colored triangle that says "Reveal News." In the past this margin used to show a feed of WC Blog titles, but they've since given it over to advertisements.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting this a lot lately @GioLogist

A huge part of the board just cuts off from view. Always at this same point. Always. And if you scroll through the "blank space" your cursor will indicate clickable links (forum titles) where all you see is just blank field.

Refresh doesn't fix it either. You have to enter a forum and then come back out.

Windows 7, Chrome, no ad block of any kind. IMHO, when you added the advertisement to "Order: product x | product y" to the top WC logo bar it fubarred a few things, this current complaint and the one I made previously (hyperlinks show as plain text).

Here's a lovely picture...

Capture.PNG

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
I use Firefox for all my browsing needs: the 'hamburg' icon indicates that it is clickable when hovering with the pointer, but does nothing when clicked, thus I am unable to log in. The 'forum' icon (the one below the hamburg on the left side) behaves the same.
I must click one of the articles before finding a way to log in.
Very annoying.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The log in error is getting worse.

Click the Hamburger > click log in > go to the log in page and after entering user name and pass word > click Log In button > the button greys out and becomes unclickable yet nothing happens > refresh the page > click the Log In button and it works...

EXCEPT today, just a few moments ago I HAD TO REFRESH 3 TIMES to get logged in.

It happens on Iron with AB+ and Ghostery and it happens on IE with no ad blocker whatsoever.

@GioLogist do you even come here and read these things? No word from you on any of the issues and they just persist and worsen. Whatever is being done under the hood is wrecking the site.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm stuck using IE11 on Win7 at work, with their add blocking system in place. The latest version of the forums is completely unresponsive. I've tried clicking on virtually every clickable interface with no response. It doesn't change the mouse icon to indicate they are clickable responses either. Literally the only clickable item on the whole main page of the forums is a news letter signup on the side of the page.
Edit: I was able to post this from my 950 very easily, which is a miracle. Apparently *someone* is coding for W10m! I thank you for that.

Last edited:

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I am unable to go from the WC news page to the Forum page in my browser.Am I missing something obvious ?
Logging in is problematic.
Also I am unable to understand which page number I am on as the page numbers given below are not like before where the current page number was of a lighter shade

Last edited:

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Well the 'News' links work now so that's progress I guess, thanks. IE11 browser version of Forums is still broke like a fat man on a toilet seat.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, on W7 with IE11, at work so not by choice :( the forums don't work for me, like others have pointed out. It shows up, but everything is unresponsive to clicks... even the ads 0_o

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This site is embarassingly bad. The new design, the new menus, the list goes on and on. Every single aspect of this site has taken a step backwards. It literally feels like someone 40 years ago tried to design the 1st ever website and nothing works yet. I went from visiting this site 2-3 times a day to this being the 1st time I've come here since the new design. Seeing as how the app for W10M is pretty bad as well, I have now just accepted that I need to go to other sites to get my news and to participate in discussions. It's as if you guys are a carbon copy of MS in every way. Make things worse for people and drive them away. Shame, this was my favorite site for the last few years.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting this a lot lately @GioLogist

A huge part of the board just cuts off from view. Always at this same point. Always. And if you scroll through the "blank space" your cursor will indicate clickable links (forum titles) where all you see is just blank field.

Refresh doesn't fix it either. You have to enter a forum and then come back out.

Windows 7, Chrome, no ad block of any kind. IMHO, when you added the advertisement to "Order: product x | product y" to the top WC logo bar it fubarred a few things, this current complaint and the one I made previously (hyperlinks show as plain text).

Here's a lovely picture...

View attachment 136634
@GioLogist... This is still very much an annoying thing. Whole swaths of the board are "invisible."

But at least I get the privilege of having to dismiss the motherloving Mint Sim and Best Buy ad banners on just about every page over and over and over and over and LOG OUT BECAUSE I CANNOT SEE THE CONTENT BUT YOU SHOVE ADS IN MY FACE.

Is it Windows Central or Advertising Central?

Every day, in every way you and your crew are running this place into the dirt.

I wouldn't mind the ads half as much except THE ADS ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT WORK CONSISTENTLY ON THIS SITE. Priorities. Get some better ones.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Case in point. As soon as the above posted this is what I saw;

Capture.JPG

Notice how the ads render, but the post composition box does not? And what wonderful ads. The lowest of the low, click bait multipage articles which have more adverts than content per page (sound familiar) and multiple pages you have to click through to find out it isn't half as salacious as promised just so they can get credit for serving more ads and pump up their click through ratings so they can charge more to place ads... Horrible stuff that should never have been allowed to suck up bandwidth, but be sure that renders properly and to heck with the actual site, right?

So I struggled to get the post composition box back into view. Here's what it looks like:

Capture2.JPG

Clearly all the effort goes int the ads and ZERO EFFORT goes into the site's functionality.

Bravo.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This site approaches irrelevancy, and I think Mobile Nations is aware of this, so they are just cashing in (out)!

They started the fall with info-ads/articles featuring the trash wireless provider Mint, and persist with the new ad-dominated design.

I used to log in several times a day, but those days are over. I guess all good things must end:cry::cry::cry:

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the lack of participation and acknowledgement in this thread speaks volumes about how much they care about this site and it's users at this point. They have become MS's Mini-Me.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Today I am unable to log in to my WC account in both Edge and Chrome browsers.Clicking on log in brings me back to the unlogged in page .
However ,it is working normally with AC website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifeca1295