New Phones coming to Canada

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
just finished a visit to the new Microsoft Store in Calgary, Canada. I had a pretty in depth convo with some folk there and just to let you know, 2 new phones are coming to Canada very soon.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
While I want to believe this is true (for the sake of Canadians, seeing as their last flagship was the niche Lumia 1020), I'm not entirely sure sales staff at the Microsoft are the most knowledgeable about new phones in the pipeline.

So unless these devices are currently being stocked in the backrooms, I don't see how these salespeople know anymore than what we do.

Still, fingers crossed, they deserve some Microsoft love!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
it was not a sales person that I spoke too. They knew what they were talking about. expect the phones shortly after the completed cycle of the 1020.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
it was not a sales person that I spoke too. They knew what they were talking about. expect the phones shortly after the completed cycle of the 1020.

Hmm, I'm still skeptical, but usually where there's smoke, there's fire. Fingers crossed!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Lets hope, since we didn't get 7xx/8xx variations here i doubt it will be the new leaked ones we have seen. I'll bet money 630 may be one of those 2 phones mentioned, and its out.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Canada did say new handsets were on their way after the Lumia 635 for Rogers, Telus and Koodo got revealed. I think we can plausibly look forward to seeing the Lumia 730 and 830 make it up here with most carriers. I'm game so long as the off-contract pricing is good, e.g. <$250 for the L730 and <$400 for the L830.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys know that unlocked phones are out there? I am using 1520 Hong Kong country variant from amazon.ca on Fido. Cyan update went on air 3 weeks ago. Even without a carrier for 1520, my phone is now updated with official Cyan release. Don't rely on carriers. They only trick you to rip you off.

Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is the most realistic situation, and if its true thats disappointing.
I wouldn't blame them, the low-end Windows Phones are a relatively safe bet as they're both cheap and have a decent shot at garnering easy sales. Rogers, Telus, Fido and Koodo have picking up lower-end Windows Phones for several years now, there seems to be demand for such phones.

That said, I wouldn't discount the possibility of seeing the Lumia 730 and/or 830. Although pricier than the 5xx/6xx series, these phones are expected to offer a better bang for the buck.

Recent rumours had the Lumia 730 equipped with LTE and built-in Qi wireless charging, and if priced at $240 (an earlier rumour), such a phone would definitely be compelling.

Then there's the Lumia 830, reportedly the "affordable high-end smartphone." If they can truly cram a PureView camera, solid specs (ideally S600 and 2GB RAM), LTE, Qi wireless charging and a nice design into a price point that's less than $400 (ideally $350), they'd have a compelling offering.

Either way, great optics at an affordable price-point might in of itself be very attractive, hence giving carriers a good reason to try these devices out.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys know that unlocked phones are out there? I am using 1520 Hong Kong country variant from amazon.ca on Fido. Cyan update went on air 3 weeks ago. Even without a carrier for 1520, my phone is now updated with official Cyan release. Don't rely on carriers. They only trick you to rip you off.

Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

Im definitely considering unlocked for my next phone, but that wont help Windows gain market share here in Canada. Carriers are what drive market share in north America...we have unlocked options but I'm sure the sales for those are minimal.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Im definitely considering unlocked for my next phone, but that wont help Windows gain market share here in Canada. Carriers are what drive market share in north America...we have unlocked options but I'm sure the sales for those are minimal.
While high-end Windows Phones will have trouble gaining traction off-contract and unlocked, I think mid-range phones such as the Lumia 730 and 830 would have a good shot, even without carrier sales support. While Microsoft would be better off ensuring that its phones get carrier certification/approval for use on their networks, I don't think it should depend on the carriers, at least directly.

Off-contract handsets at $250 and $350 would be compelling in their own right, I mean seriously, how can anyone give grief over *fully capable* (i.e. 1GB RAM) phones with *good optics* at *good prices*. If there ever was a chance to drive curiosity behind Windows Phone, it'd be through the Lumia 730 and 830. Someone would have to be a fool in the complete sense of the word to still give grief to Windows Phone...

I mean for goodness sake, at $250 you don't need to drop your iPhone/Android, just pick up a Lumia 730 for your night out, or your jog or visit to the gym, or for fun. Admittedly it might be a weird idea, but 'Windows Phone as your 2nd phone' might not be a bad marketing angle. It's mainly a matter of altering consumer behavior, make having a second phone a good idea and connect that thought with Windows Phone.

One could market, "the best Friday phone on the market, the Lumia 730 let's you take incredible selfies" or "the Lumia 830, the best companion for vacations, the 21MP PureView camera lets you capture those memories, so you'll never forget even the slightest details [showcase the pixel depth, colour fidelity, etc] or "don't let work and home get tangled together, it only takes a Lumia 730 to get you a first class enterprise experience for only $250" and so on.

The problem with pinning these low-cost phones with carriers alone would be that people will feel compelled to pick up high-end handsets, so as to make the most of their contracts. Alternatively they could go in with the intention of seeking a non-contract phone, but that brings us full circle about off-contract.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While high-end Windows Phones will have trouble gaining traction off-contract and unlocked, I think mid-range phones such as the Lumia 730 and 830 would have a good shot, even without carrier sales support. While Microsoft would be better off ensuring that its phones get carrier certification/approval for use on their networks, I don't think it should depend on the carriers, at least directly.

Off-contract handsets at $250 and $350 would be compelling in their own right, I mean seriously, how can anyone give grief over *fully capable* (i.e. 1GB RAM) phones with *good optics* at *good prices*. If there ever was a chance to drive curiosity behind Windows Phone, it'd be through the Lumia 730 and 830. Someone would have to be a fool in the complete sense of the word to still give grief to Windows Phone...

I mean for goodness sake, at $250 you don't need to drop your iPhone/Android, just pick up a Lumia 730 for your night out, or your jog or visit to the gym, or for fun. Admittedly it might be a weird idea, but 'Windows Phone as your 2nd phone' might not be a bad marketing angle. It's mainly a matter of altering consumer behavior, make having a second phone a good idea and connect that thought with Windows Phone.

One could market, "the best Friday phone on the market, the Lumia 730 let's you take incredible selfies" or "the Lumia 830, the best companion for vacations, the 21MP PureView camera lets you capture those memories, so you'll never forget even the slightest details [showcase the pixel depth, colour fidelity, etc] or "don't let work and home get tangled together, it only takes a Lumia 730 to get you a first class enterprise experience for only $250" and so on.

The problem with pinning these low-cost phones with carriers alone would be that people will feel compelled to pick up high-end handsets, so as to make the most of their contracts. Alternatively they could go in with the intention of seeking a non-contract phone, but that brings us full circle about off-contract.

In short, almost all sales people are biased to their preferred platform and will still give grief to windows phone.. I have yet to meet an open minded, knowledgeable in all platforms, unbias sales person. Having worked in sales, I can tell you they are incredibly hard to find (you can pick up their sub conscious tendencies even if they proclaim they don't have a confirmation bias) as what drives a sales person is passion for what they love and secondly the dire need to fill their sales quota.

You've made great marketing points, problem is we are relying on MS to pick up the slack when it comes to marketing and lets face communication / marketing is not their strong point. The issue you have in marketing windows phone as your 2nd device, is that:
a) why would want to spend that amount of cash when your "high end" smartphone is doing just fine
b) couch analyst's will start harping on about how MS has given up on going for 1st place, therefore shows that they don't have confidence in their product.

MS need keep doing what they did with the Cortana advert (which was subtle) - they compared the Lumia 630 against the Iphone. However they missed a trick there, they should have showed the off contract pricing for the various models (we all know what the iphones cost, you would be surprised what psychological effects a visual cue has. which is why products are generally priced for example ?9.99 not ?10.00)

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
In short, almost all sales people are biased to their preferred platform and will still give grief to windows phone.. I have yet to meet an open minded, knowledgeable in all platforms, unbias sales person. Having worked in sales, I can tell you they are incredibly hard to find (you can pick up their sub conscious tendencies even if they proclaim they don't have a confirmation bias) as what drives a sales person is passion for what they love and secondly the dire need to fill their sales quota.

You've made great marketing points, problem is we are relaying on MS to pick up the slack when it comes to marketing and lets face communication / marketing is not their strong point.

TechFreak1, you're absolutely right. Having been in sales in the past, and working closely with sales in my current job, it boils down to one thing and one thing only, commission. What MS should be doing to get things kicked off and get people familiar with WP, even if it costs them for a while, is paying sales reps an extra bonus for every WP poker they sell if that is legal/approved by the carriers.

To the best of my knowledge, the carriers themselves are frequently paid more by various vendors to push their phones for a while. MS needs to get very aggressive with that, lose money for a year or two, and then they'll have a real market, and people will start buying the phones on their own merit. This will also get sales people motivated to learn the differences and advantages of WP over others. They've already reduced the licensing costs of WP to zero, so they're clearly willing to get aggressive. This is the logical next step in my view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb