Newbie question about Microsoft surface rt

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I am awaiting for the arrival of Microsoft Surface RT 32GB, manufacturer refurbished, touch keyboard cover included.
My budget can only allowed cheaper version of Surface.

Questions : ( I have 10 years experience with Windows Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 TP, but none on RT )
1. Is there a manual for it or "no such animal" ?
2. I have a micro sd card 32GB for my Lenovo andriod 4.2 tablet. That sd card can be used for my Surface ?
3. Can I use a 128 GB sd card or limit to 64 GB ?
4. What is the audio quality when playing music in the RT ? I don't need a Bluetooth speaker to make it audible, do I ? I bought and quickly returned an Acer Aconia Windows 8 tablet because I could hardly hear the music.

I probably will ask a lot more questions when my Surface arrives.

Thank you.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
1 probably but with your experience you do not need a manual. The only big thing is that you only can install apps from the STORE.
2 Yes
3 I would say yes . In the spec it is 64 but when it came on the market there where no 128 cards.
4 I would recommend to check a review.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the Surface 2, sound quality is very good, and the volume OK for what she wants, the speakers are small, so it isn't going to drown out airplanes landing but for light domestic use it's fine.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank you.
I asked about the audio because the reviews that I googled did not mention about sound quality at all.

I have a surface 2 and the audio is okay for me but I am not a music lover. Maybe if you google surface RT vs ...... you may get some idea.

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hit the send button, aughhh....
I have had the surface rt since it came out and absolutely love it. I use it for work and travel quite a bit so always using it for productivity and consumption.
To answer your questions;
1) No manual, fairly intuitive if you are a Windows user.
2) Yes
3) I believe you can use a 128, As stated in a previous post 128 cards weren't as readily available at the time of release.
4) Audio quality isn't bad, if you are wanting to use it for videos, audio files, and gaming it will do. If you are a music connoisseur then a sneaker would help. I bought a speaker to accompany my surface tablet for presentations. I have streamed music with the built in speakers in my hotel rooms and it is loud and clear enough with out an additional speaker.
I hope this helps.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Best manual out there is youtube. Just search for Surface RT and there and a lot of videos and demos on how to do certain things on it. However, like others have said, you ain't going to need a manual.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
You will love it. I had a Surface RT and only sold it as like you I pound a refurbed surface 2 at a great price, so good that I sold my RT for more! I have now sold my Surface 2 32Gb because the Surface 2 64Gb was on offer. Again I sold my 32Gb for more than I paid or the 64 :)
Type 2 covers are on sale on the Microsoft Store site for the same as touch covers. The type cover makes a fantastic addition and transforms the Surface to near Laptop usefulness.

The Surface is very easy to use, however if you are new to Windows 8 you will need to remember the setting for each open app are best accessed via the farms bar. That had me puzzled for a few days.

Last edited:

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I am awaiting for the arrival of Microsoft Surface RT 32GB, manufacturer refurbished, touch keyboard cover included.
My budget can only allowed cheaper version of Surface.

Questions : ( I have 10 years experience with Windows Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 TP, but none on RT )
1. Is there a manual for it or "no such animal" ?
Go to Microsoft's support site, there is a download manual. It's simple and I recommend it to get the most out of your Surface tablet.
2. I have a micro sd card 32GB for my Lenovo andriod 4.2 tablet. That sd card can be used for my Surface ?
It should be fine.
3. Can I use a 128 GB sd card or limit to 64 GB ?
The published limit is 64GB. I've never tried anything larger.
4. What is the audio quality when playing music in the RT ? I don't need a Bluetooth speaker to make it audible, do I ? I bought and quickly returned an Acer Aconia Windows 8 tablet because I could hardly hear the music.
It is tiny speakers in a tablet. It is fine for what it is, but it's still tiny tablet speakers. Through headphones the sound is great.
I probably will ask a lot more questions when my Surface arrives.

Thank you.
You're welcome, we'll answer them. Enjoy your new Surface, it's a really great device I think you'll be impressed with it. I love mine! I recommend the Type 2 cover if you can swing it.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I've got a Surface RT along with a SP3. I do like the Surface RT.

Like others have said, youtube reviews are the best bet for looking at sound quality and learning about the device. For me, the sound quality is good enough - I do not need external speakers when watching movies. I think your experience with Windows is great and that you are literate in technology.

Your SD card will work fine. I believe the 128gb SD card will work with it. If you want, I'll buy one and try it on my Surface RT.

Have fun. You won't regret it. It's an amazing device. I use it for surfing the internet. The addition of Office is very useful too 😃

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I can definitely confirm that 128GB Micro SD cards work fine (theoretically up to 2TB cards, if available, should work). I'm sure a quick forum search will turn up previous posts about it since this question has been asked many times.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Just received my Surface RT 3 hours ago. Surface RT 32 GB Windows 8.1 rt w/ MS Office and touch cover.

Setup was a breeze, comparing to what one has to do setting up a new pc.

After so many years, it is strange to find out ............
1. No such thing as system restore and therefore not such thing as "creating a restore point "
2. I can create a Recovery USB but there is no provision to create a system image backup. System Image backup has saved my computer many times. Very uncomfortable without it. Refresh and Reset options are not the same as system image backup.
3. I have the MS Office Outlook 2013 rt but somehow I failed to create a POP email account, and I have had setup email accounts zillion times. Hence I have to settle for a Hotmail account in my MS Office Outlook. I must have done something wrong on my account settings.

4. I love the touch keyboard. Never thought I would say that because I am an absolute lost cause in typing.
5. Screen-capture ,i.e. snipping tools, is rudimentary. Too bad.

So far, I like it..........although I paid too much for a manufacturer refurbished. US$180 + shipping US$27.56 +Import charge US$28.83 ( import charge? From US to Canada ? What a rip off.) + currency exchange about 17%.

Last edited:

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
There is no POP email on the Windows RT email client. As for recovery option, there is no need for this. You can restore the whole tablet from the recovery tool and then sign into your Microsoft account for everything else to be updated/re-installed. That is providing you keep your data on the cloud or SD card. This is a big plus point for me. No need for lengthy back up rituals, which get forgotten at the same time as they are needed.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Before I received my Surface RT, I had been asking questions as well as googling for related articles.
From this article, I knew that RT does not support POP protocol.
However, from the same article, in a paragraph it says this.......
"You can also send and receive email from POP accounts using Outlook. If you’re using Surface RT or Surface 2, Outlook is included with Windows 8.1. You may also purchase Outlook for Surface Pro."

That led me to think that Outlook RT will allow me to setup a POP email account.
Perhaps I have misinterpreted the statement.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Before I received my Surface RT, I had been asking questions as well as googling for related articles.
From this article, I knew that RT does not support POP protocol.
However, from the same article, in a paragraph it says this.......
"You can also send and receive email from POP accounts using Outlook. If you’re using Surface RT or Surface 2, Outlook is included with Windows 8.1. You may also purchase Outlook for Surface Pro."

That led me to think that Outlook RT will allow me to setup a POP email account.
Perhaps I have misinterpreted the statement.
The Mail app in Windows 8.1 does not support POP - the Outlook 2013 client does. In my case I have my Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail going to the Windows "Modern" mail app and I have my ISP Comcast email going to my Outlook client since it's POP.

As far as screen capture, etc. - Paint is there, you can mark up, crop screen captures all you want. Also you can install something like the Fotor app or the great Adobe Photoshop Express app - I think they're both free and they are both GREAT and I think there are other photo apps out there. Also, you can use One Note, though I admit I have done very little with One Note so far so I don't know what it involves.

Other recommended apps - YouTube client, Hyper (another YouTube client that doesn't work well for me), Maps Preview, Comcast/NBC Sports, Watch ESPN, Pinball FX 2, Kindle, others.

brad63

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Screen capture is very easy. Hold down the window button and the volume down button. Screen will blink and picture is in pictures/screenshots.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Screen capture is very easy. Hold down the window button and the volume down button. Screen will blink and picture is in pictures/screenshots.

I am sorry. You don't get what I was saying.
It is not about how to do a screen capture. I did that for 10 years from using the most rudimentary Print Screen to more advanced SnagIt and such.
My point was what could be down with the screenshot, i.e. editing and customizing.
I apologize for not making it clear in the first place.
Thank you for replying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4