No custom Contact Details

blacklumia70

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
When I enter a new contact name in my windows phone (Lumia 920, Lumia Black Update) I get 7 main entries for details:
1- add photo
2- name: with 7 sub-entries ( first name, surname, company, middle name, nickname, title & suffix).
3- phone: with 10 sub-entries (mobile, mobile 2, home, home 2, work, work 2, company, pager, home fax & work fax).
4- email: with 3 sub-entries (personal, work & other).
5- ringtone: Custom, 21 from Windows & 30 from Nokia.
6- text tone: Custom, 11 from Windows & 4 from Nokia.
7- other: with 9 sub-entries (address with 5 fields for {3 addresses: home, work, other}, website: one field, birthday: one field, note: one field, anniversary: one field, significant other: one field, children: one field, office location: one field & job title: one field.

The above may seem allot of information but its not. An important entry is missing, The customized entry, where I can make my own entry title, for example if I want to assign 3 mobile numbers for a contact name, I can't do that because there is no field for (mobile 3) among the sub-entries, so windows will offer you to use the other remaining fields like (home or home 2 or work or work 2....etc).

I know that the customized field is available in iphone (I don't no about Android) and its available in my old Nokia E71 which will also let me edit the default entry names (lables).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
When I enter a new contact name in my windows phone (Lumia 920, Lumia Black Update) I get 7 main entries for details:
1- add photo
2- name: with 7 sub-entries ( first name, surname, company, middle name, nickname, title & suffix).
3- phone: with 10 sub-entries (mobile, mobile 2, home, home 2, work, work 2, company, pager, home fax & work fax).
4- email: with 3 sub-entries (personal, work & other).
5- ringtone: Custom, 21 from Windows & 30 from Nokia.
6- text tone: Custom, 11 from Windows & 4 from Nokia.
7- other: with 9 sub-entries (address with 5 fields for {3 addresses: home, work, other}, website: one field, birthday: one field, note: one field, anniversary: one field, significant other: one field, children: one field, office location: one field & job title: one field.

The above may seem allot of information but its not. An important entry is missing, The customized entry, where I can make my own entry title, for example if I want to assign 3 mobile numbers for a contact name, I can't do that because there is no field for (mobile 3) among the sub-entries, so windows will offer you to use the other remaining fields like (home or home 2 or work or work 2....etc).

I know that the customized field is available in iphone (I don't no about Android) and its available in my old Nokia E71 which will also let me edit the default entry names (lables).

Make a new contact using lets say just the first name. Add the desired information then use the link feature to link the contacts. If there were a third field someone would want a four and so on. Instead of fighting it make it work for you.

blacklumia70

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Make a new contact using lets say just the first name. Add the desired information then use the link feature to link the contacts. If there were a third field someone would want a four and so on. Instead of fighting it make it work for you.

the purpose of the post is to improve the system not to fight it.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Improve it how? What if I wanted 10 mobile phone numbers. Should WP present all 10 entries? What about 100? Where to draw a line?

Contact entries on mobile devices has always been limited since WM days. But typically you can create more entries for a contact on the desktop PC using either Outlook or Outlook.com and the phone will take it and display it.

blacklumia70

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Improve it how? What if I wanted 10 mobile phone numbers. Should WP present all 10 entries? What about 100? Where to draw a line?

Contact entries on mobile devices has always been limited since WM days. But typically you can create more entries for a contact on the desktop PC using either Outlook or Outlook.com and the phone will take it and display it.

I don't think that a custom entry like in IOS or Android is the end of the world.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
blacklumia70,

I'm with you on this one. The lack of this very simple feature has irritated me from day one of owning my 820. I can't believe M$ left out this. Surely it wouldn't have been difficult to implement?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel