No extra tile row for the lumia 920?

Fallakin

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the above comment. Being based on Screen size makes a whole lot more sense.

That said, I would still like the option for the extra rows on a smaller screen.

Acryion

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Well then, the most logical conclusion would be that for 4.5+ devices to use 3 medium tiles in a row, for 4.3 devices to use 2 medium +1 small tiles in a row and for under 4.3 to remain at 2 medium tiles.

If my L820 would look like the one from Haris Aziz's post , I would declare myself satisfied.

Cabooservb

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
After using smaller tiles for a week (samsung ativ s with reg hack for smaller tiles) , I can say I dont get any issue with hitting the wrong icon.

Apps I use when in my car are set to medium (like swipe tunes and bluetooth shortcut), so they are easy to hit when driving.

The only gripe I have with the small size tile is its impossible to read live updating text on them. So I just use small for apps without live text (like sky news, webpages, settings etc).

Msoft should release this hack as a operating system setting in 8.1 so people can choose to fit more on screen, if they wish to sacrifice tile size (This shouldnt affect developers as it seems to be a rendering setting rather than actually changing the tiles size, as all tiles I have running are rendering just fine).

With this hack I finally I dont have to scroll up or down to launch the apps I use on a daily basis as it all fits on the screen now.

Marcello Crescini

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I made a suggestion in the Uservoice part of Windows Phone websites. I don't know if you know what it is, but it's like a suggestion-box where all WP users can bring their ideas and let the admins know where to improve in building the next WP update. I really want the third row even on my Lumia 820 and I bet someone else is interested! Here is the link to the suggestion:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/5197440-enable-the-third-live-tiles-row-in-all-windows-pho

Please give 1, 2 or 3 votes to this, so that it can grow and be visible to other people. Through this way, we obtained custom SMS tones in GDR3, and also the task manager. Take a look even to other suggestions, as they may be interesting for you!

negi ji

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
but lumia 630 & 635 have 3 tile column in videos of windows phone 8.1 preview how is only for 1080p it need all higher lumias like 920+above series like as glance.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
but lumia 630 & 635 have 3 tile column in videos of windows phone 8.1 preview how is only for 1080p it need all higher lumias like 920+above series like as glance.
This thread was at the time of GDR3, the announcement of 1520 and 1320 (first 3 column devices). Don't be panicked you'll get your third column for your windows phone in a week.

negi ji

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
This looks quite nice on my 8x, but do agree that the icons are small but not something my fat fingers couldn't handle. Unless your hand is so unsteady im sure most could handle it as think of the size of the on screen keyboard, how tiny are they but we all manage don't we?

But its optional so why? This is not the actual reason(fat fingers).

negi ji

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Based on what I read, the 3x5 Start Screen layout kicks in on 5" devices. Then, once a device reaches 6", the OS very subtly changes to display more info. Nothing major, but apps like emails or the People Hub will show more at once, resulting in less scrolling necessary. 5" devices only get to take advantage of the new Start Screen layout.

Mostly windows phone users have 4.5" screen with higher lumias like 920 to 1020. So i think +0.5 inch screen is not a big difference.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
They definitely said that devices with a 4.5" display and up will get the option. I've read that multiple times on multiple site. Simply said none of us have in our have in our hands a final build or even the preview version. They did say they needed this time to work some things out. And I'm preeeetttyy sure we will have the option. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I know I've heard it many times.

Either way, I understand both sides. I would prefer the option of more tiles, and I don't think it would be too small. There are many smaller elements in our UI such as the send button for texts and emails. Its fine!!! Don't fret guys its just an option after all.

Edit: so reading into it some more, it looks pretty iffy. Some say maybe, some say 4.5" and up, some say 5" and up. We will just have to wait!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amon manengureni