No longer selling complete care for the band

cwiley2566

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I have been trying to purchase complete care for the band but unable to. Endless loops on the website. Phone calls that they say will call me back. They don't. Finally they told me today it's not offered anymore.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Got mine from Best Buy yesterday and went online to add. Could not find so started a chat session. MS rep said she could add then said there is a new memo could not add. She said hopefully could add soon /shrug.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if it means we're a few months away from the next version. Complete would be a major liability if a new version is coming out and there's no good upgrade path.

lpc30000

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I took mine to the Microsoft Store in Northpark, Dallas and purchased the Complete on Saturday, just FYI. Maybe you should try that

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
yeah I read that if you take it to a MS store within 30 or 45 days, they can sell you the complete care. I guess they have to see if it's indeed still working. Got mine from MS online store and didn't come with the screen protector or starbucks card. I will ask for these too when I go.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I too have been trying to purchase this coverage and have had no luck. I had wanted to purchase it when I bought my Band using the link that was sent out to those on the Microsoft Store waiting list. When I couldn't do so directly at that time I contacted support (before completing the purchase) and was told I would be able to buy the protection plan once my Band arrived. So I made the purchase with that understanding. I've now spent roughly 1-2 hours trying to get this purchased to no avail.

I just got off the phone with Microsoft Support, Sales & Billing department and got a solid answer that the Complete warranty is no longer being offered. (to back up what was stated in this thread) I asked the tech to email me the info and this is what I was sent...

"The Microsoft Band product team has decided to pull Complete warranty for Microsoft Band. There is no TBA when/if this will be available again. Furthermore:

1. We do not sell Complete for Band for Bands that were purchased at other retailers.
2. We do not sell Complete for Band that were purchased from the online Microsoft store."

So that really sucks. I love my Band and just want to know it's protected! The support rep I spoke with advised that perhaps I could pick up 3rd party extended warranty coverage... Something like SquareTrade. Unfortunately that means it has to be purchased through Amazon. Since I got mine through the Microsoft Store I have no way to obtain that coverage so I'm considering returning this band to MS and instead buying a replacement through Amazon so that I can add a SquareTrade warranty.

It makes me wonder if the Microsoft Band Team was seeing too many returns or the likelihood of returns is simply to high for this device? Rather annoyed by the whole situation.

lpc30000

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I too have been trying to purchase this coverage and have had no luck. I had wanted to purchase it when I bought my Band using the link that was sent out to those on the Microsoft Store waiting list. When I couldn't do so directly at that time I contacted support (before completing the purchase) and was told I would be able to buy the protection plan once my Band arrived. So I made the purchase with that understanding. I've now spent roughly 1-2 hours trying to get this purchased to no avail.

I just got off the phone with Microsoft Support, Sales & Billing department and got a solid answer that the Complete warranty is no longer being offered. (to back up what was stated in this thread) I asked the tech to email me the info and this is what I was sent...

"The Microsoft Band product team has decided to pull Complete warranty for Microsoft Band. There is no TBA when/if this will be available again. Furthermore:

1. We do not sell Complete for Band for Bands that were purchased at other retailers.
2. We do not sell Complete for Band that were purchased from the online Microsoft store."

So that really sucks. I love my Band and just want to know it's protected! The support rep I spoke with advised that perhaps I could pick up 3rd party extended warranty coverage... Something like SquareTrade. Unfortunately that means it has to be purchased through Amazon. Since I got mine through the Microsoft Store I have no way to obtain that coverage so I'm considering returning this band to MS and instead buying a replacement through Amazon so that I can add a SquareTrade warranty.

It makes me wonder if the Microsoft Band Team was seeing too many returns or the likelihood of returns is simply to high for this device? Rather annoyed by the whole situation.

When I bought the Complete for mine on Saturday, the rep had to do a "return' for the band I purchased online and "sold" it to me again so he can add the Complete. Maybe you can try go to a physical store nearby. Hope this helps

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Seems an awful lot of trouble to turn a 12-month warranty into 13-months.

Complete covers accidents - like when you forget to take it off while washing dishes. The warranty doesn't cover that. So there is quite a difference. Save $20 or pay $199. I didn't like the odds of betting I'd never forget to take it off when I should. Not when all my prior watches were waterproof and I never gave them a second thought.

corgi11

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
To buy your complete warranty you need to call Microsoft Band Tech Support not support at the online store. Tech support says they can sell it you over the phone or you can go to any Microsoft Store and purchase that warranty as well. Remember Microsoft Tech support for the band not on line store tech support. I bought the complete warranty over the phone yesterday. 4/26/2015.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
To buy your complete warranty you need to call Microsoft Band Tech Support not support at the online store. Tech support says they can sell it you over the phone or you can go to any Microsoft Store and purchase that warranty as well. Remember Microsoft Tech support for the band not on line store tech support. I bought the complete warranty over the phone yesterday. 4/26/2015.
According to tech support today, Complete for Band has been cancelled unless you already have it. If you go to the Band Support site you will also note all mention of Complete for Band has been removed. Even though when you check warranty status there is still a link to extend the warranty, when you click on it the new page has been scrubbed of all references to Complete. I also just confirmed (again) with Microsoft Store that it has been cancelled - no vague responses, just an apology and statement it is no longer offered at all.

If people are still finding a tech support person selling it, that is a) odd since tech support doesn't generally sell things, and b) lucky because you got a random person who hasn't gotten the message. Evidently the SKU is still in the system but the multiple people with whom I have now spoken all state the same things: 1) they apologize; 2) the cancellation was sudden and unexpected, and 3) it really has been cancelled and there is nothing they can do to override.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The reason that I was given for no longer offering it, is that inventories are too low.

It sounds like they are making up excuses as they go. Long and short of it though is everyone with whom I have spoken have said they have dropped the program. One person in tech support went as far as to acknowledge that they were unaware it was happening until they were informed and that the person thought it was a bad idea.

FWIW, I have no problem with those purchasing now not being able to get the warranty - announce a change and move forward. I do have a major issue though with respect to those of us who pre-ordered with the claim it was available only to learn it was cancelled after delivery. I also take issue with the fact it was still available to in-store customers and they had the gall to tell some of us to just run by one of the stores - the nearest one for me is 500 miles away. This wasn't just a matter of not offering something to people purchasing from third parties. They were/are choosing to treat Microsoft Store customers differently based upon whether you live near a physical store. It is bad business, poor customer relations, and smells of the old Microsoft that simply enforced its will on its customers. It is their right to cancel the program but to do so between order in delivery is simply not defensible. They same goes for segregating their own retail customers based upon location....

gmaddry

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Squaretrade sales an extended warranty for a Band bought anywhere. You just need a receipt. Covers 3 years for everything but lose or theft.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Squaretrade sales an extended warranty for a Band bought anywhere. You just need a receipt. Covers 3 years for everything but lose or theft.

Before people grab a SquareTrade warranty, I would encourage everyone to read their contract terms. The following is from the standard terms:

HOW WE WILL SERVICE YOUR PRODUCT:
Depending on the Product and failure circumstances, We will either, at Our discretion: A. Repair Your Product, or;
B. Provide a cash settlement or a Gift Card reflecting the replacement cost of a new product of equal features and functionality up to the Coverage Amount, or;
C. Replace Your Product with a product of like, kind, quality and functionality.

The specific terms may have other things of interest but this covers points everyone should keep in mind. It is not a guaranteed replacement plan; they make the call on if the coverage has been triggered; and you have no guarantee they will replace a Band with a Band. This should all be taken seriously as some who have purchased coverage on phones only to be offered a previous generation iPhone or Android device for a broken Lumia can readily attest. They are also not even the company guaranteeing the coverage since they are a third party agent for Starr Indemnity & Liability Company. BTW, if they attempt "Service" of a device, the cost can count against their maximum liability which is $199.

Last I checked their available plan was a laughable $44.99 for three years (approaching 25% of device cost). That, of course, may have changed so I am not arguing there may be a two-year option. FWIW though, the only extended warranty I encourage people to consider are those offered on new cars (if the negotiated price is reasonable). Even for those, people should read all of the terms carefully. For small electronics, assume every term will be taken literally since it will be by SquareTrade. Companies that offer these plans make their money off the cost of the plan itself. It is, therefore, in their best interest to avoid payment or find ways to minimize their cost as often as possible. SquareTrade is a better option than some of the alternatives but they are still part of the same game. While it may sound rather clich?, buyer beware....

gmaddry

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
My experience with Squaretrade has been good. I had a Nexus tablet that repeatedly rebooted. They tried to repair and I ended getting tge price of tablet. There was no offer of replacement. There are widely available 25% discounts bringing the cost to $34 and this covers damage or failed battery. I agree it is not always a good choice. I didn't cover my Nexus 4 because of the $100 detectable, but for a device worn on the wrist during activity it may be a good choice. Of course YMMV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99