No, Microsoft is not killing W10M to prepare for Surface Phone.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
They're killing it because they realize that their smartphone ambitions are a dead end. Why would you chase your small handful users to a different platform right before you released a Surface Phone? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. You don't kill off one product before you release another one to replace it. Especially when there aren't even credible rumors of a successor. Even if Surface Phone happens (it won't), why would people come back after you pulled the rug out from under them and pushed them to a new platform?

No, Microsoft is killing W10M because it's not a realistic mission for them to have their own smartphone platform. They waited too long to modernize, and they will never be able to catch up to Android and iOS. Microsoft is years behind the other platforms, and that gap can never be closed as long as MS treats phones as an afterthought rather than a cornerstone.

Anyways, after buying the Zune, RT, Band, WP 7/8/10, nobody has any confidence that this won't be another expensive proof-of-concept experiment where consumers are left holding the bag with beta products that are essentially DOA. So it would take a minimum of two promising iterations of Surface Phone before your burned customers are willing to come back. Like how people were reluctant to return to Surface until the Surface 3 line. I don't know if MS has the will or resources to absorb losses like that on a new phone experiment.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
They're killing it because they realize that their smartphone ambitions are a dead end. Why would you chase your small handful users to a different platform right before you released a Surface Phone? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. You don't kill off one product before you release another one to replace it. Especially when there aren't even credible rumors of a successor. Even if Surface Phone happens (it won't), why would people come back after you pulled the rug out from under them and pushed them to a new platform?

No, Microsoft is killing W10M because it's not a realistic mission for them to have their own smartphone platform. They waited too long to modernize, and they will never be able to catch up to Android and iOS. Microsoft is years behind the other platforms, and that gap can never be closed as long as MS treats phones as an afterthought rather than a cornerstone.

Anyways, after buying the Zune, RT, Band, WP 7/8/10, nobody has any confidence that this won't be another expensive proof-of-concept experiment where consumers are left holding the bag with beta products that are essentially DOA. So it would take a minimum of two promising iterations of Surface Phone before your burned customers are willing to come back. Like how people were reluctant to return to Surface until the Surface 3 line. I don't know if MS has the will or resources to absorb losses like that on a new phone experiment.

My DOA Band and Surface RT still work as they should and I use both every day. Weird how they are DOA, but are both still alive and kicking...

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not so sure. This just popped up on Microsofts Azure Twitter feed. Seems an awful lot like the rumoured Surface Phone design if you look closely. May just be a concept or a prototype but it's certainly as the patent drawings described.SmartSelectImage_2017-07-19-19-15-01.pngSmartSelectImage_2017-07-19-19-14-43.png

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I some what disagree. Microsoft was years behind the other platforms. Not so much now as of late. They literally went head first against the grind stone for the past 2 years now, heading out to completely re-create the platform while at the same time future proofing it at every corner of the way. To me Microsoft Windows is the only real thriving OS in this current age, because it has everyone else's hind site to learn from and build off of. It has a bit or piece of almost every part of our modern world. The OS itself is in cars, IoT devices, mobile, PC/tablet/*whatever devices, servers, thermostats, AR/VR devices, gaming consoles, you name it. To me they may surpass iOS/Apple OS soon (I honestly think that has already started). Android on the other hand is going to start getting a run for their money in the next year or two though.

On the flip side, there not many real examples that people have for tangible observation of this. If you are not a die hard Windows mobile person, than it is too easy to look past the mobile part. However I think it would be interesting to know out of all the iOS users out there, how many of them own a Windows OS device also.

As for killing the whole platform W10M off. I personally think they won't and have not. But that can change tomorrow if they announce differently. The W10M side is a huge piece of the puzzle, huge piece of the entire machine of Windows. So if they did let it go, than most definitely it would get replaced by something. Maybe that is what we have yet to discover.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm not so sure. This just popped up on Microsofts Azure Twitter feed. Seems an awful lot like the rumoured Surface Phone design if you look closely. May just be a concept or a prototype but it's certainly as the patent drawings described.View attachment 136788View attachment 136789

That looks like "project andromeda" which is supposed to be dual screened with a detachable magnetic hinge running a branch of win10m.

That's a REAAAALLLY good find there man, you should make a separate post about it, seeing as the front page folks are so behind on the new "phone".

I did think it would be smaller. That's a beast of a device for dual screens.

It's huge, lol!

With two screens it makes a cheezeblock size phablet look like a babies toy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That looks like "project andromeda" which is supposed to be dual screened with a detachable magnetic hinge running a branch of win10m.

That's a REAAAALLLY good find there man, you should make a separate post about it, seeing as the front page folks are so behind on the new "phone".

I did think it would be smaller. That's a beast of a device for dual screens.

It's huge, lol!

With two screens it makes a cheezeblock size phablet look like a babies toy.

Yes, because we need more Surface Phone threads rehashing the same unsubstantiated information... /s

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, because we need more Surface Phone threads rehashing the same unsubstantiated information... /s

But it's got a really cool name, Andromeda, so it must be real and right around corner waiting to take over iPhone and Android market share.
In all seriousness, while it's interesting to talk about things like this, talk is cheap. Deliver and then we can talk more.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Dude evidence:

1) Windows code, found in current builds listing Andromeda as a dual screen device with a hinge (dual gyros and a hinge value
2) More windows code, in current windows apis - shows Andromeda as an SKU for cshell
3) Insider leaks, speak of this exact device, running a branch of win10m (as described in 2, new style of device, with its own win10m branch of an SKU)
4) Sighted on campus recently
5) identical to the patent - dual screened device, magnetic hinge (look it up
6) phone emerged, from a Microsoft source (azure developer twitter), with dual screen device, with hinge.

I can deduct and I can logic. I can check tangible evidence. I do hope others can too.

Zac, well honestly I don't know why anyone listens to him. He doesn't seem like the smartest card in the deck.

The code, the patent AND the photo (not a render), show EXACTLY the same device.

If you personally don't want to even LOOK into the evidence yourself, and consider it, your just as bad as the ultimate widget crowd.

Use LOGIC, don't use FEELINGS, engage brains not hearts- and you'll see this is a thing. Its logically and deductively a thing. Unless MSFT is putting code into windows for a device they AREN"T making and creating photos of devices that don't exist, and both those things just happen to look exactly like a patent they filed. lol. I mean really, lol.

I mean what's the logic here from zac - the azure developer team went and photoshopped a device up, a non-existant one, using a render and phone of someones hands or made a mock up plastic device of a non-existant device, that perfectly matches code in current builds AND a patent they filed, JUST to post on twitter. Is that what he is saying happened?

Does that sound logical? Does it even sound likely? How does that fit into anyones head?

Go on, someone explain to me how any of that remotely makes any sense!

Fake code for non-existant device rolled out to active windows builds + fake code for fake OS SKU rolled out to active windows builds + fake picture of non-existant device just for a funzies twitter post + identical patent that "just happens to look the exactly same down to the magnetic detachable hinge". Oh rly ;P

Its baffling TBH. hahaha

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1) Windows code, found in current builds listing Andromeda as a dual screen device with a hinge (dual gyros and a hinge value
2) More windows code, in current windows apis - shows Andromeda as an SKU for cshell
3) Insider leaks, speak of this exact device, running a branch of win10m (as described in 2, new style of device, with its own win10m branch of an SKU)

I don't disagree with you, and I don't think the Windows Central team does either. We all think think that Microsoft is going to be re-entering the mobile space in a new way. But we ought not be naive enough to assume we have all the facts.

6) phone emerged, from a Microsoft source (azure developer twitter), with dual screen device, with magnetic hinge, and its not a render.

It's concept art of tablet. That's pretty much it. Stuff like this pops up all the time. It doesn't mean much more than that.

Zac, well honestly I don't know why anyone listens to him. He doesn't seem like the smartest card in the deck. He's real young too. Weird to have people consider him as an authority IMO.

His age doesn't matter. He's the single best advocate for Windows mobile on the web. Your comments are rude and your angst is misplaced. He's not an authority, he's a journalist. But he does have access to far more information than you do. And not only that, he's got a better idea of the full picture.

The code, the patent AND the photo (not a render), show EXACTLY the same device. The code and the patent are things that a person can look at themselves - actual things in the world.

If you personally don't want to even LOOK into the evidence yourself, and consider it, your just as bad as the ultimate widget crowd who think the new device will have a fully folding flexible screen, windows on arm with cshell and a bell so people know you are coming.

Use LOGIC, don't use FEELINGS- and you'll see this is a thing.

And if you don't want to use deduction and logic - well what do I care - believe in whatever you please!

Again, we all see the same "evidence" you see. And we have for several months. Please don't act like you're some sort of prophet in the wilderness declaring the coming of Andromeda.

I've been a Windows Phone & Surface user and fan for several years. I'm just as excited about the prospects of a mobile Surface device. But we're not doing ourselves any favors by harping on the same information over and over again. Just wait and see. The Surface team will release a device and OS when it's ready.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Dude evidence:

6) phone emerged, from a Microsoft source (azure developer twitter), with dual screen device, with hinge.

I can deduct and I can logic. I can check tangible evidence. I do hope others can too.

Zac, well honestly I don't know why anyone listens to him. He doesn't seem like the smartest card in the deck.

The code, the patent AND the photo (not a render), show EXACTLY the same device.

If you personally don't want to even LOOK into the evidence yourself, and consider it, your just as bad as the ultimate widget crowd.

Use LOGIC, don't use FEELINGS, engage brains not hearts- and you'll see this is a thing. Its logically and deductively a thing. Unless MSFT is putting code into windows for a device they AREN"T making and creating photos of devices that don't exist, and both those things just happen to look exactly like a patent they filed. lol. I mean really, lol.

I mean what's the logic here from zac - the azure developer team went and photoshopped a device up, a non-existant one, using a render and phone of someones hands or made a mock up plastic device of a non-existant device, that perfectly matches code in current builds AND a patent they filed, JUST to post on twitter. Is that what he is saying happened?

Does that sound logical? Does it even sound likely? How does that fit into anyones head?

Go on, someone explain to me how any of that remotely makes any sense!

Fake code for non-existant device + fake picture of non-existant device just for a funzies twitter post + identical patent that "just happens to look the exactly same down to the magnetic detachable hinge". Oh rly ;P MSFT must be some crazy pranksters

That kind of denial reminds one of a religious ideology

What was that about injecting feelings?
We all have our own thoughts (guesses) about what might be coming. That doesn't make anyone wrong.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
PS, save that zac dudes twitter post on your hard drive. That could have utterly priceless value next year, any time he acts like he knows what he's talking about XD

What was that about injecting feelings?
We all have our own thoughts (guesses) about what might be coming. That doesn't make anyone wrong.

Feelings don't reflect reality. They reflect past experiences, and desires - they lead to assumptions. For example, someone feels doubtful so they deny something that's logically true. They feel hopeful, so they deny something that's logically true.

Only detachment from feelings allow one to employ logic properly. Hence, why I say use logic.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Feelings don't reflect reality. They reflect past experiences, and desires - they lead to assumptions. For example, someone feels doubtful so they deny something that's logically true. They feel hopeful, so they deny something that's logically true.

Only detachment from feelings allow one to employ logic properly. Hence, why I say use logic.

You missed my point. You were also injecting feelings into your post, whether you see it or not.
Thanks for the education.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
His age doesn't matter. He's the single best advocate for Windows mobile on the web. Your comments are rude and your angst is misplaced. He's not an authority, he's a journalist. But he does have access to far more information than you do. And not only that, he's got a better idea of the full picture.

Oh my, well how do I make penance to the great and noble zac? Here I was thinking he was a human being, us pretty silly monkeys, and he shat and ate like the rest of us. I also thought he was a clickbait blogger for a click farm. I am sorry I was gravely mistaken.

The next time he posts a dismissive meme, with no substaintial logic or argument whatsoever, I will treat it as the word of god.

You missed my point. You were also injecting feelings into your post, whether you see it or not.
Thanks for the education.

You have your opinion, I have mine, others can form there's. That's all it is.

None of this is important. It's petty. I don't even care about the silly phone. Don't care about MSFT. Its a waste of life even thinking about it. I've already spent too long on it.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Can either of you explain why there is an Andromeda SKU listed in the cshelll code, and why that SKU lists a hinge value, and two separate sets of gyros, both in current windows build apis, if there is supposedly no new SKU or a new device?

There is only one type of device that matches those variables - a detachable dual screen clamshell. Which MSFT happens to have a well known patent for (and which by mere coincidence looks like the photo)

This is originally what I meant by logic.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, and I don't think the Windows Central team does either. We all think think that Microsoft is going to be re-entering the mobile space in a new way. But we ought not be naive enough to assume we have all the facts.

So, can we all continue to seek out facts and evidence and share that as part of this forum - the truth will continue to emerge as Microsoft simply can NOT hide something of this magnitude and "potential category change".

IMHO ... the DAY that Samsung - who always seems to sniff out future competitor directions - SHOWS a "similar dual screen device" - we will know that Microsoft is "close to launch"!

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Well, I "think" tat HP - and Joe Belfiore - "might disagree"? Microsoft "RETREATED from the consumer space to focus on the ENTERPRISE space!

But, the blogosphere seems to "ignore" this as they chase for "sensational story lines" IMHO!

Microsoft Claims Big Software Win in HP | Fortune.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss