No reset protection on 950XL?

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
Erase protection is one of the major security features all phones (and Windows Phone, AFAIK), have. At least, I thought so a couple of hours ago :) So, I wanted to enable it. I've read the guide here ( windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/protect-my-phone ) on MS site, and it's stated here that now it's only enough to log in with Microsoft account on the device and it'll be turned on. OK, did that. Sadly, there is no mention of erase protection anywhere in settings, and also in MS account / devices. So, in order to test it, I tried to make a reset, and it went "well" without asking me to log in into my MS account (it's also stated on MS site that you should be asked for your MS account password after you agree to reset the phone, so, sadly, I didn't have a chance to interrupt the actual reset) :(.
So, the question is, does anyone know a way to turn this feature on and if yes, why MS did it so hard to find?

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
does anyone know a way to turn this feature on and if yes, why MS did it so hard to find?

Yes. Look under Settings >> Update & Security >> Find My Phone.

For me, activating the 950xl (with the sim IN) automatically enabled Reset Protection. I experienced the same behavior after a factory reset, as well.

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
That's strange :/ Here is everything I have under Find my phone.
wp_ss_20151209_0001.jpg
Have you been asked to enter your account info before the phone allowed you to reset?

NorthFaceHiker

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes. It does ask you for account info before reset. If you skip it and forcibly flash the device, such as through the WDRT tool, you will be required to log into account.microsoft.com and obtain a 5x5 recovery key before you can proceed through OOBE and set up the OS again.

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, but the problem is that I can find no way to enable it (you can see the screenshot of find my phone screen). I think now that it's a region-restricted option and in my region it's not available. But you know, making this option region-restricted is a really, really bad idea :/

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
But unfortunately it is the same for my Lumia 950XL - bought from TMO Germany, MOID TMO-DE. It is not offering the option under Settings -> Security -> Find my phone, just the two options above. Also when checking my IMEI for the status of reset protection on the microsoft site, it is telling me that it is off. It was like that out of the box.

This is a little unsatisfying :-/ Is there anything that can be done regarding that?

Thanks,
Corwin

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
That's strange :/ Here is everything I have under Find my phone.
View attachment 118608
Have you been asked to enter your account info before the phone allowed you to reset?

Gosh, that's very interesting. Which version of the OS and which firmware revision do you have?

Mine:

OS Build 10.0.10586.29
Firmware revision 01078.00017.15454.29005

And, yes, I was asked for my username/password when I performed the factory reset.

P.S. I have the dual SIM, US model.

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Here is the info. Looks like firmware revision is slightly different. Windows device recovery tools says it's the latest rev available on server for my device.
My device was bought in Ukraine, so I assume this may be related to the european versions of the devices.
wp_ss_20151209_0002_cr.png

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm guessing you are right. Perhaps there is some European regulation or some other technicality preventing MS from right now offering the reset protection in your model. If it's been offered before, I'm sure they'll work it out... eventually.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
Erase protection is one of the major security features all phones (and Windows Phone, AFAIK), have. At least, I thought so a couple of hours ago :) So, I wanted to enable it. I've read the guide here ( windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/protect-my-phone ) on MS site, and it's stated here that now it's only enough to log in with Microsoft account on the device and it'll be turned on. OK, did that. Sadly, there is no mention of erase protection anywhere in settings, and also in MS account / devices. So, in order to test it, I tried to make a reset, and it went "well" without asking me to log in into my MS account (it's also stated on MS site that you should be asked for your MS account password after you agree to reset the phone, so, sadly, I didn't have a chance to interrupt the actual reset) :(.
So, the question is, does anyone know a way to turn this feature on and if yes, why MS did it so hard to find?

Yeah, it's odd. What I see on my 950XL doesn't tie in with this documentation, so I've reached out to Microsoft for clarification. Either the documentation is incorrect, or this is referring to a feature that isn't yet available (or maybe it's only available in certain circumstances).

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The problem is, thatr Reset protection is something that can only be done at production, at least Gabe aul said so in one of his tweets. I think they left it out in europe and have it in in US, because it is legally required in the US. Still it is very disappointing the way it is. OTOH, who will steal a Lumia ;) ;) ;)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to this thread, a documentation change request has been sent to the relevant team in Microsoft to change the content of this feature guide (i.e. to make it clear under what circumstances this feature is available). Hopefully this won't take too long.

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, Pete, for contacting them about this matter.
It would still be better if they enabled it on all devices rather than clarifying why doesn't it work on some :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb