No SD card is actually a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Again, this thread is a total FAIL. Yea, some people want it, others dont think there is a need for it. You know what, your all right here (besides a few morons who dont know their head from their a$$).

The deal is, other brands high end models have it, Windows Phone is LACKING in this area. It's all about how people use their phones, some just do a few apps and maybe a little music, others want to have it all. Everyone SHOULD have the option, Windows Phone should provide this option on high end phones.

The ICON/930 would be the PERFECT phone, great camera, 5" display (big enough but, not too large like the 1520), 2gb of ram, nice size, well designed look of a phone but, for a LOT of us, the space is very limited. We are talking last gen phones, like the 920 and the 928 all had 32gb of space(higher end models), now the "next gen" high end models have the same amount of space. Something is wrong with this, make everything better but, keep the same amount of space.

Everyone will have their differences here, I acutally think this thread should be closed. It's not about how the subject is, it's more about a b*tching session why some SHOULD have MicroSD and how others SHOULD NOT.

Get over it, some people want it, others dont but, there should AT LEAST BE A OPTION for people who want it on all carriers.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
LOL. So you are saying if something adds thickness to the phone it does not take up extra space inside... Newsflash: that's why it adds thickness. You either have the camera module fill out the entire thickness of the phone or you make a hump for the OIS, so there is enough space left inside for other things behind the camera moduel, like an SD card slot. And really, the z2 has everything BUT the coil? You mean it has everything related to wireless charging except the thing that takes up space and adds to the weight, right?

Again, not arguning that that's not a vaild design choice - Nokia did the same thing with the 925, when everyone and their mother was complaining the 920 was too thick and heavy. But it is a choice. You have to fit everything in to a give space: you either add a bigger battery or a wireless charging coil; you either add a thick camera module with OIS, or a thinner one without OIS and have room for things like a card reader. Or do both and add a hump. Again, pick and choose whichever phone suits you best, but why are you arguing they had to make choices like that?

And, if you could, elaborate on the seceret master plan, why they deliberately chose to exclude the card reader. They had all this extra space inside the phone, but decided not to add the SD card module because... ?

- No, it doesn't take "space" it adds thickness. Meaning, you won't have to mess with the phone size, just the thickness of it. There's no extra space inside the frame occupied by the OIS.

- Yes. The Z2 has everything the likes of the 1020 and 925 have inside it, except the coil that is in the case. If you have a Nokia charging case that you don't need, you can dismount it to see exactly what's missing from the 925 (and the Z2 and S5). Or head over to YouTube and search for a video about adding wireless charging to the 925. You'll see exactly what's missing from the 925 and Z2 in terms of wireless charging. Again, no, it doesn't take space, just thickness (and even that...not a lot of it)

- I'm only arguing that the "excuse" about space is a fake excuse. Because nothing that the 930 has, apart from OIS and built in Qi charging, prevents the phone from having a microSD card slot. If Sony puts all the 930 has, including a bigger battery, a microSIM (instead of a Nano) AND a microSD inside the thinner and lighter Z2, then Nokia was perfectly capable of doind the same in the 930. They simply decided not to. Neither OIS nor the Qi charging coil require the space a microSD card would take. Specially when you've already reduced more space by putting a NanoSIM in the 930.
Here's the insides of a 930 http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/nokia-lumia-930-tear-down-1.png

- I didn't said that. I said that the 930 that was planned was more than an international version of the 929/Icon. The info I got from my friends at Nokia is that they planned to not only add the microSD but also refresh the internals to match those of current Android flagships (SD801 yadayadayada). Now, whatever happened, I don't know and they don't know either (as they were not part of the D&S division). But I have no reasons to doubt them. I think the 929 presented as the 930 was a last minute decision, rushed to get their last flagship out before the acquisition was done, so that Microsoft could also benefit from the use of the Nokia brand on the flagship Lumia (as well as the 630) for longer (the 530 and future Lumias will not come with the Nokia branding). But this is just speculation.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
For you to have a "top of the line" phone, you have to have also a phone that ISN'T top of the line. Apple only does one phone, the iPhone. You can't have a "flagship" in a squadron of 1 ship. Plain and simple.
So the iPhone isn't a flagship of anything. The iPhone is the iPhone. It's Apple's phone and you know it's the best you can get from them but also the only thing you can get from them. The term flagship is used to single out the best phone a company offers in their catalogue. You have the Z2 as a flagship and then the E1, M2 etc. You have the 930 and them the other 10 Lumias. You have the S5 and then the other 100 Galaxies.
On Apple you have the iPhone 5S and that's it. And then you have last years model. Just like you have the Z1, M7, 920, S4.

Since they also sell the 5C, the 5S would be considered their "flagship" until the 6 comes out. The other poster is right, flagship means company's top of the line phone. If that company's top of the line phone doesn't hold up with another company's top of the line phones, it's still their flagship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty