Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the people having screen issues, second Lumia 930 now. Both had this bleed effect, one full screen, the other only half of the screen. Added a picture for reference.
View attachment 74792

My guess is that everyone having these gradient / screen inconsistency issues is actually having this issue as well. Just test the phone by opening a bunch of black images in a dark room (or at night) and see if it doesn't light up in those areas. Bad batch of manufacturing maybe?

Funny thing is though that this ones battery is much better then the previous one. Last one was under a day with full charge, this one says 1 day and 17 hours... Same setup, same usage, same mileage.. What the hell microkia!

Edit: manufacturing date of this one is 23-6-2014

I've had to swap phones 3 times to get a good one. The first two had the screen bleed problem in different degrees, but both in the bottom right corner. The 3rd one I have now is OK. Still, from time to time I still see some uniformity issues. In general, I think the screens are just not that great quality.

cwwei

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I got a problem yesterday. When I come out of standby, before I see the lock screen, there is the information :loading... For one second. Wtf? Never had this before..

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I got a problem yesterday. When I come out of standby, before I see the lock screen, there is the information :loading... For one second. Wtf? Never had this before..

Have you installed the Live Lockscreen Beta from Micrsosoft and then uninstalled it? If so, there's a bug related to that.

The fix is to go into settings and start enabling "Kids Corner". A few steps into the process the phone will ask you to uninstall the Live Lockscreen and just accept that. Then you can back out before Kids Corner is fully enabled.

Mads Egseth

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
My screen flickers when the brightness is low and im using data services with a low signal quality. Im about to swap to my third now... Hope that will be the one.

Matteo Guichardaz

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I found a solution for display issue. The problem is in the latest display update. (purple color and when the brightness is at the top grey background).

How to:
set the date of the phone at 2300.
Disable automatic apps update
After that when you enter in display setting it will say that you can't open because the app is expired. Reboot the phone. Now, waiting for an official update on the issue, you have no problem at max brightness and you will see purpe only when you set the minimum brightness...

Matteo Guichardaz

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I tried now to low the brightness of my psp vita (oled model). Grey backgrounds are purple with low brightness. I think Nokia must set the low brightness to a higher default level....

Mikeey87

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had to swap phones 3 times to get a good one. The first two had the screen bleed problem in different degrees, but both in the bottom right corner. The 3rd one I have now is OK. Still, from time to time I still see some uniformity issues. In general, I think the screens are just not that great quality.
Well Ive tried 3 now, all with issues. Two of them had the discoloration in the lower right the last one in the upper right. Ive decided to send it to Nokia Care to see what they can do about it. Currently they've had it for a day and a half, but no changes yet. Guess its hard to see the discoloration /sarcasm (the one I send them has so much discoloration, dark blue becomes light blue..). Fairly disappointed that I've been unlucky to get so many of the bad batch(es).

Edit: It just says its been repaired, when ill get the work report I'll inform you guys whats repaired. Really curious now if they did fix the discoloration and if so how. Wonder if they replaced the screen. Lets hope they didn't duck up like last time with my Lumia 920. That one came back with 3 new issues created by the repair.

vecera

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

here is my feedback

- On 2G/3G/4G phone screen is flickering (when background is white).
- On auto brightness in low light, gray color transfer in purple (if I set to low or any other settings display "working" fine).
- Battery life isn't great.
- Phone heats up quickly, when I am using internet browsing or similar tasks (bottom part of phone).
- When I press unlock button, phone have small delay until screen is actually on.
- Windows capacitive button isn't clear white (its darker on one side than on other (when backlight is on) - I wouldn't mention this if it's not flagship device)
- I have copied/converted video with 3840x2160 resolution on phone and some times its resuming for ever (when I reboot phone it's working properly)

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Now on my 2nd phone and the right ******* side of the screen is much lighter than than the left, especially after using the Car thingy app

rikycaldeira

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
This is kinda unforgiving for the wannabe-king of smartphone photography.. at least this is mostly a viewfinder effect, the photos don't came out that bad considering the amount of light at the scene (basically none ahah). But that much noise is not normal, I hope a fix is on the way..

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140809_0005.jpg
    wp_ss_20140809_0005.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_20140809_01_58_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140809_01_58_53_Pro.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 29

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
This is kinda unforgiving for the wannabe-king of smartphone photography.. at least this is mostly a viewfinder effect, the photos don't came out that bad considering the amount of light at the scene (basically none ahah). But that much noise is not normal, I hope a fix is on the way..
I have the phone for about 4-5 days now and at first I was quite alarmed by the bad low light performance. Pretty soon I realized that all you need to do is manually increase exposure to 0.5-1.5s depending on the situation. This usually produces pretty good images, but I agree, the auto settings need a serious update.
What I don't quite like is low light video camrea perfromance. The image keeps pulsating as the camre tries to decide the right white balance and the images are grainy even under balcon lights.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm picking my 930 from Nokia on Monday. It should come fixed. If it doesn't, I think I won't bother any more. I'll just keep using the 920 until Sony releases the Z3 Compact and then I'll just sell the 930 and replace it with the Z3 Compact and be done with this.
It's not admissible so many hardware issues and, worst of all, such lack of software updates from Microsoft to correct bugs that are clearly common to 99% of the users.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

The ISO seems very high. Trying shooting with an ISO of 200 or 400 at night. 800 if you want a faster shutter speed but you will have a noticeable drop in quality.

EDIT: They (Microsoft) should adjust the auto settings so the ISO never goes above 800, because even at 800 photos come out soft, noisy, and with horrible color balance.

Last edited:

dibsbibs

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble with pressing the capital letter key (up arrow) on the keyboard and it reverting back to lowercase letters instantly?

GStr

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone has problems with quiet audio in video recordings?

Using Nokia Camera. WP8.1, also tried WP 8.1 Update 1. Stereo speakers or not, dolby or not, doesn't metter. Also when video is moved to PC it is very quiet, almost muted.

Audio level never exceeds 10-15%. You have to set 30/30 audio volume on the phone, to hear anything.

Hard reset doesn't help.

oleg626

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey there! I have a few visible light stripes on the screen when doing scrolling. I can also make them a screenshot.this defect?
wp_ss_20140811_0001.jpg

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After two weeks, not only wasn't my phone repaired, it wasn't even replaced yet because they have no units to replace it with, even though Microsoft has launched the device on the 16th July.

I got the phone back but I'm not even bothering to put anything on it. And by the looks of it, Sony will have released the Z3 Compact before I get my replacement unit from Microsoft. Which means the chances of me not even using the 930 as a daily driver are now even bigger. I'm sick of this. The damn phone is over 6 months old, it comes filled with defects and they don't even have replacement units at the Care Points? Screw this, I'm done.

Congratulations, Microsoft, your ****ty customer support has managed to finally send me to Android, after WP8.1 made me actually want to stay with WP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett