Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
AT ZvjerOPC...so the Black display not beeing Black IS a hardware issue after all???

The fact remains that if you hard reset 930 and NOT update the display app then the black screen is actually black. So it's a software issue I believe, but I don't like it! Some people claim that this method doesn't help which points to a possible hardware issue too!? I'm afraid that it will never be reverted to the way it is supposed to be. In any of the future updates :-( I'm also afraid that I will get a new screen tomorrow with the same problem: Uneven brightness.

I'm still unsure if I want to give away my 1020 and use 930 exclusively. I'm not THAT happy with it...

Faar126

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
AT ZvjerOPC....Thank you. I have tried your method with display app and it worked. But as you said it is hard to understand if the uneven brightness problem should be a software issue only. The problem seems to take all kinds of forms (different areas of display is affected) and it appears that not all phones have it. Which leads me to believe there must be hardware problems involved.

I like the phone, but would prefer a hybrid between 830 and 930 I guess😊 And I find it annoying that the product seems 'unfinished'. As I recall it, my L920 also wasn't fully functional before it had a year of software updates.....and then I accidentally through it in the washing machine😊

Heiko Quant

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I live in Germany, and who knows with what bugs the HTC One M8 comes. I also like the Nokia apps and camera.
You can be sure, that the metal of the sim tray has a different color than the body and the Micro SD tray is not flush with the frame. The display is usually not flush with the Bommsound speaker covers. Normally you'll see a mix of to high and too low variing on top and botom, asymetrical left and right. This results in nice razor edges. Black is dark grey and knock on works sometimes...
Given the attention to minute detail in this forum, I'd be surprised, if anyone of you would be happy with the HTC M8 WP 8.1.

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So, I have the bad touch on the top I mentioned before and now I noticed that sometimes, when I swipe for two letter words where the keys are next to each other ("we" and "as" for example), the keyboard only detects the second letter. I wonder if anyone else have this problem.

Funny is, the purple hue isn't gone when setting the tonality to green, it gets less purple but, when in low light, the screen still gets horribly purple.

Another problem I want to know if anyone is having is the not so loud and saturated sound in the back speaker. The sound isn't clear like my 820's. I wonder if it's because of the position of the speaker, since the camera and the headphone jack are misaligned, the speaker might be either.

I'm asking again because I didn't see people complaining about these things. The purple hue people said it was completely gone after setting the tonality and the touch I've only seen one guy complaining in the beginning of the topic.
Anyway, I'm gonna try to take the phone to the Nokia Care and if I don't get it working fine, I'm gonna sell it and go back to my Lumia 820 that works beautifully.
The only problem is, I've installed the Update 1, I hope the guys at Nokia Care do the service anyway.
I really wanna like this phone the same way I liked my Lumia 820, but it's getting harder and harder.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Had mine looked at with the back cover not sitting flush, the retailer thinks it could be a swollen battery as it's in the area where the bottom of the battery sits. I'm not so sure as the phone works fine, charges no problem and has no heat/drain issues (think I've mentioned this already). Anyway, a new phone is being ordered so I should have it within the next week hopefully. When I get it I'll check the screen, headphone jack and camera again. Fingers crossed there are no issues with the new one, I'm liking the phone otherwise, the OS is great after a long time with iOS.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So, I have the bad touch on the top I mentioned before and now I noticed that sometimes, when I swipe for two letter words where the keys are next to each other ("we" and "as" for example), the keyboard only detects the second letter. I wonder if anyone else have this problem.

Funny is, the purple hue isn't gone when setting the tonality to green, it gets less purple but, when in low light, the screen still gets horribly purple.

Another problem I want to know if anyone is having is the not so loud and saturated sound in the back speaker. The sound isn't clear like my 820's. I wonder if it's because of the position of the speaker, since the camera and the headphone jack are misaligned, the speaker might be either.

I'm asking again because I didn't see people complaining about these things. The purple hue people said it was completely gone after setting the tonality and the touch I've only seen one guy complaining in the beginning of the topic.
Anyway, I'm gonna try to take the phone to the Nokia Care and if I don't get it working fine, I'm gonna sell it and go back to my Lumia 820 that works beautifully.
The only problem is, I've installed the Update 1, I hope the guys at Nokia Care do the service anyway.
I really wanna like this phone the same way I liked my Lumia 820, but it's getting harder and harder.

1 - Yes, I have that annoying problem too. HOWEVER, I have that problem on ALL my Lumias, which means it's a problem with the way Microsoft calibrated wordflow and not with a phone. It should be fixable with an update.

2 - The purple issue needs an update to the Display app. People only got rid of it by resetting the phone and NOT updating the display app. According to the info I got directly from Microsoft, a fix is coming soon (though "soon" may be with the Denim update).

3 - Although that would be a possibility, I just think the speaker on the 930 is really bad. And the fact that it's placed on the back of the phone doesn't help at all, being easily covered even if accidentally. If you use a case, even worse.

4 - There should be no problem at Nokia Care. The DP is an official Microsoft update that you got directly from Microsoft. Your warranty isn't void. They just warn you because if it's bound to a carrier, those normally use all the excuses to deny you your warranty. But you're safe with Microsoft's official assistance (formerly known as "Nokia Care").

I understand your wish. I too would love to love the 930 but I've had such an horrible experience so far that when I finally get a new one, it has already a set date to be replaced by a phone from the competition.

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
1 - Yes, I have that annoying problem too. HOWEVER, I have that problem on ALL my Lumias, which means it's a problem with the way Microsoft calibrated wordflow and not with a phone. It should be fixable with an update.

2 - The purple issue needs an update to the Display app. People only got rid of it by resetting the phone and NOT updating the display app. According to the info I got directly from Microsoft, a fix is coming soon (though "soon" may be with the Denim update).

3 - Although that would be a possibility, I just think the speaker on the 930 is really bad. And the fact that it's placed on the back of the phone doesn't help at all, being easily covered even if accidentally. If you use a case, even worse.

4 - There should be no problem at Nokia Care. The DP is an official Microsoft update that you got directly from Microsoft. Your warranty isn't void. They just warn you because if it's bound to a carrier, those normally use all the excuses to deny you your warranty. But you're safe with Microsoft's official assistance (formerly known as "Nokia Care").

I understand your wish. I too would love to love the 930 but I've had such an horrible experience so far that when I finally get a new one, it has already a set date to be replaced by a phone from the competition.

So, my touch problem is only on the top of the screen.

I've reset the phone a few times and updated the Screen app a few times. The purple hue is visible either before and after the update. I don't have the problem that black isn't black. Just grey looks purple. Either before the update, after the update and setting the tonality to green.

It's really sad that we have to say that something in an expensive and high end phone is bad. I'm really starting to regret buying it. My 820 works fine. I wish I could have access to the HTC One for Windows.

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
AT ZvjerOPC.....how is your new display?? 😊

I only got it a few hours ago. So far I can confirm that black not being black is still an issue, so I hope that Microsoft will revert back the display settings to the way they used to be. And about uneven lighting across the screen all I can say is that the new screen is far from perfect but it's better than the first one. I will keep this one.

Also I have swapped my black back plate for an orange one. Now I have truly unique black orange Phone :)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I only got it a few hours ago. So far I can confirm that black not being black is still an issue, so I hope that Microsoft will revert back the display settings to the way they used to be. And about uneven lighting across the screen all I can say is that the new screen is far from perfect but it's better than the first one. I will keep this one.

Also I have swapped my black back plate for an orange one. Now I have truly unique black orange Phone :)

Can you post a photo? I'm curious about the result. I've been playing with the idea of doing that with the green plate.

Finally got my new 930 (about time!). The purple tint still happens and all the software problems are there. Those can only be solved by Microsoft.

The headphone jack is not heavily misaligned though. Still the problem is being investigated in Finland and several units from various European countries have been recalled for inspection.

This new unit, however, didn't get immensely hot when restoring the back up. Nowhere near how hot my first one got.
Let us see how this behaves but, so far, everything that could be solved through hardware seems to have been solved.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

How even does the new back cover fit? I'm having my phone replaced but in the last few days the area of the back cover that isn't sitting flush has moved a bit, so it seems more like a design/build issue rather than an internal part being misaligned. Got me thinking if I should just cancel the replacement and keep this one.

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Can you post a photo? I'm curious about the result. I've been playing with the idea of doing that with the green plate.

I forgot my 1020 in the car today and is raining a lot. I will post a photo tomorrow. Remind me if not :) It does not look that good but it sure does look wild :) I'm happy.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Sadly the new one creeks a bit at one spot :-( It's loose. And the power button is deeper in the Phone now,a bit harder to press.

The power button is deeper after the cover change or the screen change? If it's the screen I'd be questioning that with whoever did it. Looking at my phone again, and now the back cover dips in between the camera and power buttons. I know there's a clip here so it's becoming more obvious it's just poor build quality. It creaks in various places too.
Starting to think if I should have held off leaving iOS and waited for the i6....

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The power button is deeper after the cover change or the screen change?

I will not discuss iPhones here, those are good phones. Anyway, power button is deeper after screen+frame change and obviously it is a mans mistake for not setting it properly, but I'm a bit sick of going back to service centre and waiting for my phone, again.

Pacou90

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
hello,

I have a problem with my photos taken with my lumia 930.
All photos have a spot (see my pictures)

I have cleaned the glass front of the camera several times but it changes nothing.

I can see in the lens a dust or a defect on the first black circle of the lens, it does not move if I shake the phone.

You think I should return it to nokia repair center?

Thank you in advance.

WP_20140805_15_20_59_Raw.jpgWP_20140810_11_56_44_Raw.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo