Nokia should've been more innovative with the camera grip.

SuperMAG

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They should've added a zoom lens in that grip, instead of just battery and microusb, it would have truly made it a full camera accessory.

If they added that zoom lens of like 20x zoom (like the galaxy camera), it would've cost like 150/200$, while also destroying the direct competition of s4 zoom.

When this phone first came into rumours with round camera bump and camera grip, i automatically though it will have some sort of zoom lens. Whats the point of creating a round bump (the 920 type looks better).

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
The more complexity the higher the case cost, lower life cycle, bulk, etc. a zoom button would been neat. But to be fair 1020 is the best without zooming in.

Optical zoom has been tried in N93 and just didn't work. That was years ago. S4 zoom is a messy solution / probably not a massive hit and perhaps Nokia decided not to risk it. The next gen tech is liquid zoom / multiple lens, etc.

IMO paying the current price is already stretching it. That said something like sony's qx100 would be interesting as concept.

SuperMAG

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
just saw this qx100, yes thats the type i wanted. they made it as an accessory. It has everything in it with sensor and tons of other stuff, for around 400$.

Now, what i was suggesting was just to add the zoom lens to the camera grip, now thats not too far stretched.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
just saw this qx100, yes thats the type i wanted. they made it as an accessory. It has everything in it with sensor and tons of other stuff, for around 400$.

Now, what i was suggesting was just to add the zoom lens to the camera grip, now thats not too far stretched.

You do know that "Zoom lenses" like the one you are suggesting are not really a "good" solution to photography? Every single lense in front of the main lense will have a negative effect on the image quality! There are some "working" solutions for professional photography lenses, but they are made of quite a few lenses and cost a fortune...

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

Qx100 looks like a really cool concept - porting over RX100 m2's camera module & lens - and using the smartphone to do the processing. But just look at the bulk of it! It really could be a half-baked concept, or a big mass hit at this stage- It all depends on how they market it. But from what I've seen so far, it sounds like a few Sony creative / engineers had one too many pints. "Why don't we just glue the RX100 onto a phone"?! They say. Sony's had a track record to try these "out of box" things, think their high end headphones, smartwatch. You hear about it before launch, it sounds great on paper - but then you never see it again! It's just Sony seem to have TOO many ideas which in turn becoming MANY products - linked by their often proprietary ecosystem. Unfortunately they've not built a service based platform like Apple / Google, that makes people want to buy each product in their ecosystem. They've compartmentalised each product for a segment, great. But in terms of all-in-one imaging flagship phone, they're still a mess, even their upcoming rumored photo flagship is said to have a small 1/2.3 sensor.

Whereas Nokia seems to know what people really want, that the consumer wants good quality photo from practical device they will always have on them. Their engineers have simplified a relative large sensor, OIS into 1020. With QX100, you might as well get a standalone RX100 & keep your phone - unless the price is really attractive. Because it looks like QX100 has a big practical trade-off, it needs to be mounted onto the phone. (Takes time to clip it together, miss photos, you sure as heck aren't gonna answer a call with that module attached!) Imagine if you're in a concert / gig - trying to attach QX100 onto your iPhone in the dark - Nokia 1020 suddenly looks SO much more elegant.

Unlike the messy S4 Zoom though - QX100 will offer as good image quality as you can get on a phone in theory, and is said to be OS agnostic - there will be definitely be people paying a premium to have the best possible photo experience without a 2nd device; the question is if QX100 is seen as a practical extension of their phone, or a second device. Sony internally has many divisions each pushing its products, and each product seems to have a relative price to not upset their ecosystem - QX10/100 would do well to challenge that, by launching at decent prices / but I really doubt it at this stage. Obviously, the price is also crucial, it has to be lower than RX100 (but not so cheap that it cannibalise RX100's sale); because as it is, a RX100 is more expensive than many older entry DSLR in the UK. (E.g. 600D, etc) Still - whatever price it launches at, subtract it from RX100's cost - and you get the value added of your smartphone. Gonna keep an eye on that.

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
No, no, no, no, NO!!!!!

That's completely unintuitive and defeats the purpose of of this device in the first place... The purpose of the Nokia Lumia 1020 is to put the power of a pro camera is a smartphone like device. The 41-MP is also supposed to supply loss-less digital zoom, without the need for a bulky optical lens.

Adding an optical lens ruins the philosophy. The 1020 is supposed to be slim, sleek, compact, yet still provide kick *** photos. If you want ugly optical zoom in a camera, Samsung's offering is for you.

I detest this suggestion. Nokia has elegantly pulled of the 1020, it's perfect the way it is. You idea is horrid, if you're going to do that, you're better off buying a stand alone camera.

So no, this is an awful idea, I'm shocked you even felt this would be necessary.

SuperMAG

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
lol, you are sounding like i am saying to put the optical lens on the nokia 1020 main phone. lol.

I was saying to put the lens on the grip only, its not like people are putting camera grip all the time in their pocket, they put it on when they are going in a vacation or a place. Well wouldnt it be better to have a zoom lens in that grip too.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea. Though I think it would be better as a removable lens attachment that could be added on to the grip. But the grip could also be bought without it.

Other things I would have liked in the grip include an SD card slot and wireless charging.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I tend to agree with swim"". The device is a phone first and foremost. For true zoom lens use a dedicated camera is still a better option.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 blurs the boundary between phone and camera, and the camera grip accessory blurs it further. However, the camera grip doesn't add thickness beyond the hump, making the phone still easily pocketable and lightweight. An optical zoom assembly would certainly increase thickness beyond the hump, not to mention adding a lot of cost and complexity. I think at that point you'd be better off grabbing a real camera instead of the camera grip.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The 1020 blurs the boundary between phone and camera, and the camera grip accessory blurs it further. However, the camera grip doesn't add thickness beyond the hump, making the phone still easily pocketable and lightweight. An optical zoom assembly would certainly increase thickness beyond the hump, not to mention adding a lot of cost and complexity. I think at that point you'd be better off grabbing a real camera instead of the camera grip.

I like the idea of an optical zoom add-on that can be attached to the camera grip. It would be small by itself, and can be kept in a separate pocket, or not brought at all. It still beats carrying two devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077