Nokia's comeback to Windows Mobile?

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Now that the non-compete clause expired with Nokia citing that they may release a phone Q4 this year and the fact that the rumored Surface Phone won't be out until next year, do you think Nokia will make another Windows Mobile device? Especially now that MS is on a hiatus, OEMs have the chance to build phones. I think it'll be smart for Nokia to at least try, and I won't lie, I was swayed by the Nokia brand to try Windows Phone. What do you guys think?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know what to expect since Microsoft basically snapped up their mobile division.

And if I were Nokia, I'd probably diversify, meaning trying Android, but then again, it'll only be the Nokia brand with not much else behind it.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
With Samsung and Apple accounting for 95% of the profits in mobile, why on earth would Nokia want back into phones??? That would be a monumental mistake.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
With Samsung and Apple accounting for 95% of the profits in mobile, why on earth would Nokia want back into phones??? That would be a monumental mistake.

Probably, but why not? They're already thinking of buying Withings to be in the wearable market and next thing you know they're back to mobile. Picture this: Microsoft making Surface Phones and somehow Nokia is back to selling the Lumia devices (correct me here; not sure if they can own it again). As a consumer and buyer of WM, I think it's good to have a wide variety of premium devices. But hey, I'm just dreaming here and the chances of this happening is slim.

ZoneofJhay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Isn't there a news before that Nokia will go all out with android once their contract with MS expires? I'm a big fan of Nokia(no Lumia phones though) and I really wish that they regain some market share again. I loved my N3310, N2330 and N95 and I'm really sad when my 7 year-old N5130 XpressMusic finally took its last breath a couple of days ago. I don't think any phone this days have that kind of longevity with regular use everyday.

If Nokia jumps to android I'm pretty sure I'm getting one.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
It would be lovely to see them back in the mobile arena with Windows devices, though I'm guessing that they don't have the asset strength to be able to do this. I've had some wonderful devices from them, including the N95, which was ahead of the field.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft's drabber phones, stopping those brightly coloured Lumia cases that allow me to find it easily, if I've misplaced it. Their strategy towards the corporate/business sector, away from the consumer sectors in various countries, apparently the reason for universal drab. It was Apple's move into brighter, shinier tech that supported them being viewed as cooler than the grey pc market of yesteryear. Microsoft is certainly innovating now, albeit reportedly not doing much new themselves with mobile in 2016 - although OEMs will get the chance.

I assume that there must be millions of people globally who would trust a Nokia return into mobile. Whether enough of their original staff would do the same is another matter. (I'm assuming that some transferred within the Nokia business, rather than transferred over to MS, so they may still have some great in-house expertise).

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech is reporting that Intel canceled their mobile SoC development, so don't hold your breath for a convergent x86 phone.

Yep I saw this the other day. Honestly, we really don't know what the surface phone will have. Whatever it'll be, I'll get it.

I just sold my 950xl in favor of the 1520. It looks way better!

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The last I heard Nokia were 'in no hurry' to enter the mobile phone business. The problem being that going up against Apple and Samsung seems to be a no win scenario; only Chinese makers like Huawei seem able to compete. Nokia went with Windows Mobile because they knew they couldn't differentiate on Android and I don't see anything which makes the situation different now.

Given how comprehensively Nokia out competed the other OEMs on WP, if they did return we'd probably see history repeat itself and to be brutally honest, part of WP's failure was not sticking to the original strategy. Yes, the vast majority of WPs are 520s etc, but there is no money to be made at the low end and no traction with developers. Accommodating OEM short-term strategy allowed devices like the HTC 8S to come into being and which device was first to be dropped from WM10? Diverting resources to rejigging the OS to run on 512MB RAM slowed development on a system which was busy playing catch-up.

Another thing which might help Microsoft, is to agree with OEMs a minimum budget that OEMs should commit to advertise their product. It seems crazy to me that OEMs can come in and waste Microsoft's time and money like Samsung has and then complain that there own half-hearted efforts aren't successful. In truth, these OEMs were already committed to Android and WP would have had to take off immediately for them to be interested in continuing with it.

What makes me angry is that the world needs an alternative to Android and iOS isn't it, because Apple are only interested in people who have more money than sense; literally, billions of people are being lead like lambs to the data mine.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
During Ballmer and Elop era Microsoft and Nokia were supposed to be each other's salvation. It did not really work for any of them. Nadella pissed away whatever feeble position WP gained and basically killed off Nokia's phone division. If Nokia learned anything from this then that they should at least diversify if not stay away from Microsoft completely.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm still amazed with the quality of my Lumia 525. (even I own a 640 as my daily driver). If Nokia comes back into Windows mobile, I will be sure to get one. they make quality stuff that lasts long

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
During Ballmer and Elop era Microsoft and Nokia were supposed to be each other's salvation. It did not really work for any of them. Nadella pissed away whatever feeble position WP gained and basically killed off Nokia's phone division. If Nokia learned anything from this then that they should at least diversify if not stay away from Microsoft completely.

Agreed, there is no sane reason why they should have any connection with a Microsoft based OS, especially one that is declining rapidly in sales and mindshare, the little that it had. And their financial exposure in the phone market will be minimal as they wont be directly manufacturing handsets but working with a company like Foxconn to make the handsets and only be responsible for the design and tech that goes into it, just like how apple makes their phones. I probably wouldnt buy one running android but as a Nokia fan I would love to see what they bring and I think they can see enough sales to make their venture a relative success. You can bet all of Finland would buy one at least. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia sold off all their Mobile production infrastructure. That took years and years to build.

They licensed their name to a white label maker to produce tablets with Nokia branding to keep their name out there.Other companies do similar. You can find tablets with many names on them that are not manufactured directly by those firms... It nets money. Nokia also sold off HERE...

Produce a Windows Phone? Probably not. Rebuild all the factories and distribution network they sold off? Rehire talent that was transferred in the sale? Highly doubtful.

Now Nokia is purchasing and absorbing Withings. This looks more like the direction they are headed. IoT.

I don't really see them getting back into phones with any platform in the near term. Nokia provides recast segment results for 2015 reflecting new financial reporting structure | Nokia

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Give me a well-built well-designed phone from Foxconn (even branded Foxconn) running W10M and even that would get my attention. They’ve proven they can build high quality phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb