Normal ? New surface, Creak when pressing bottom left and discoloration when pressing screen.

narutoninjakid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys just opened up the new surface pro 4 I bought yesterday. The only thing I'm noticing so far is that when I press slightly hard in the bottom left corner of the device I hear creaking/click noise. And it occurs every time I press there with a little pressure. I'm wondering if that's normal. I'm also noticing when I press down with a little Force anywhere on the screen there is a little discoloration that appears on it until I release the pressure is this normal? I do have some light bleed in the upper portion but that may be normal with lcd's. Is this normal or should I go ahead and return before the sales are over.

Link to video showing sound and screen discoloration :

https://youtu.be/k3ULDuuzB90

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
On second unit and it also has click noise. Both new and from same lot number at Costco.

Ive had the same discoloration effect on a couple of these. I think the glass is just too thin. I was at the launch event and they talked about hoe they intentionally made the glass really thin. Never had that on previous models. It is normal for the thin glass to flex a little. Hopefully they fix this on future models. The squeaky screen on the edges is not normal.

narutoninjakid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Ive had the same discoloration effect on a couple of these. I think the glass is just too thin. I was at the launch event and they talked about hoe they intentionally made the glass really thin. Never had that on previous models. It is normal for the thin glass to flex a little. Hopefully they fix this on future models. The squeaky screen on the edges is not normal.

The click seems to happen when i press a little harder. Not a normal tap. It doesn't happen in the other 3 corners so that's why i was worried. I'm noticing a light yellow tint as well on the left side of the screen. This is really annoying. Cant be driving to the store and swapping them out everyday. Thanks for your input.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Any LCD will discolor if you press it hard enough. The SP4 and SP3 machines are incredibly thin and exhibit the effect, even when pressing the stylus against the screen.

The Surface Pro 2 was built like a tank and has a much harder screen (probably because it has an active Wacom digitizer screen as well as thicker glass) so it doesn't flex like the SP3 and SP4 machines.

narutoninjakid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Any LCD will discolor if you press it hard enough. The SP4 and SP3 machines are incredibly thin and exhibit the effect, even when pressing the stylus against the screen.

The Surface Pro 2 was built like a tank and has a much harder screen (probably because it has an active Wacom digitizer screen as well as thicker glass) so it doesn't flex like the SP3 and SP4 machines.
OK thanks for the input. I may just keep this one. Since the noise doesn't happen unless pressed hard. The only concern now is the light yellow tint on the left side but I may be dreaming but looks like after the update it got less yellow. Is that possible? Unless some glue there is curing.

steakandpotatoes

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my third unit from lot 1724, also bought at Costco's $749 sale price, and all have had manufacturing issues. The first had a fan that clipped against the chassis, the second had a pressure spot in the middle of the screen, and this one has a slightly bowed kickstand and makes a light clicking noise when pressed from behind in the left corner. Touchpad is also rubbing on something when clicked. I think I'm just going to keep it even though it's not perfect. The positives, like zero backlight bleed, outweigh the risk of playing the SP4 lottery again I think.

narutoninjakid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my third unit from lot 1724, also bought at Costco's $749 sale price, and all have had manufacturing issues. The first had a fan that clipped against the chassis, the second had a pressure spot in the middle of the screen, and this one has a slightly bowed kickstand and makes a light clicking noise when pressed from behind in the left corner. Touchpad is also rubbing on something when clicked. I think I'm just going to keep it even though it's not perfect. The positives, like zero backlight bleed, outweigh the risk of playing the SP4 lottery again I think.
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on but Costco didn't get good batches. I didn't want to keep returning them. Second one I got is much better with the noise only happening if I press really hard. Discoloration on screen as well. So I'm going to keep it. Sale is over today anyway and didn't want to drive to another Costco and get a worse one.

steakandpotatoes

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Just noticed my third SP4 also has a light pressure spot in the middle of the screen, most obvious on white backgrounds. Also several other small issues and manufacturing flaws. Blah.

narutoninjakid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Just noticed my third SP4 also has a light pressure spot in the middle of the screen, most obvious on white backgrounds. Also several other small issues and manufacturing flaws. Blah.
It's slightly upsetting. Maybe if surface pro 5 comes out before 3 months we can return. I doubt any good deals will be out though.

steakandpotatoes

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I feel so bad returning things more than once but a brand new premium electronic device shouldn't have defects, and if it does it shouldn't have been sold. There is a like a 40% likelihood I will be returning this, but like you, I'm hesitant to and CostoCo's sale is over and they're out of stock in my area. An early production SP5 will likely be even more issue prone and much more expensive unfortunately. Hope your Surface works out for you man.

narutoninjakid

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I feel so bad returning things more than once but a brand new premium electronic device shouldn't have defects, and if it does it shouldn't have been sold. There is a like a 40% likelihood I will be returning this, but like you, I'm hesitant to and CostoCo's sale is over and they're out of stock in my area. An early production SP5 will likely be even more issue prone and much more expensive unfortunately. Hope your Surface works out for you man.
Thats exactly how I feel. Will hold onto it for now. Hopefully no other issues pop up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124