Not impressed by the action center

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You can add airplane mode toggle. Go to settings, action center, tap on an icon change. They're all just hot keys.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Yeah but that would turn off EVERYTHING like 3G , Bluetooth and the whole network and not just wi-fi

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
1. I rarely turn off data by itself so this doesn't affect me much. I mainly use airplane more for that sort of thing.

2. There's nothing preventing you from pinning a Wi-Fi tile if you feel the need. I can see the reasoning for a toggle and not having a toggle. I rarely turn off Wi-Fi so it doesn't affect me that much.

3. My 920 and 520 works fine.Maybe try a hard reset? That fixed a number of issues with the preview for me.

Internet Sharing, Rotation lock and Brightness are the ones I use most often.
1. It does drain the battery so I would like that option and airplane mode would turn off everything not just 3G
2. yeah but that's even less than inconvenient ill have to unlock the phone find the tile and then switch it ON/OFF
3. apparently its a "catch" where you can reveal the action center only without having to pull it all the way down to reveal the notification center. pretty neat if you ask me

oh that's nice

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It's kinda clunky and has big spaces between notifications, kinda annoying.

Aswel why can't we check older notifications? Once you check them, they're gone and if you forgot what was there or your phone crashes you're pretty much done

And leaked actionable messages aren't there either, so dissapointing..

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it necessary to have a toggle to turn off data. I never turn off date and when I have wifi �� on I don't worry about battery ��drain. I leave my phone on wifi with data on and when I wake up its still at 100 percent after 8hrs on standby. Anyways I like how the action Center on 8.1 is. It's more practicle than IOS and more easier than android imo
It all comes down to the hardware after all. whats your phone ???
agreed on that I find it pretty neat with your prvious screen (say the homescreen for example) fading away and moving backwards as if you are literally pulling another tile over it and not just something flat like the iOS. android's is more practical though with their "two finger" swipe down ability to reveal all the toggles on one screen and there many toggles that can be swiped through from the small action center

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It's kinda clunky and has big spaces between notifications, kinda annoying.

Aswel why can't we check older notifications? Once you check them, they're gone and if you forgot what was there or your phone crashes you're pretty much done

And leaked actionable messages aren't there either, so dissapointing..
just noticed there are large spaces between the notifications
Its a good point but I have no clue how do you intend to achieve this . maybe by a button on the notification center saying "older notifications"
whats actionable messages ??

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It all comes down to the hardware after all. whats your phone ???
agreed on that I find it pretty neat with your prvious screen (say the homescreen for example) fading away and moving backwards as if you are literally pulling another tile over it and not just something flat like the iOS. android's is more practical though with their "two finger" swipe down ability to reveal all the toggles on one screen and there many toggles that can be swiped through from the small action center
I use the Nokia Lumia 810 but I really don't see the need for a data toggle for me. That's why msft gave us options to chose what toggles go where even though I do still think its not necessary. And I don't think most people are going to 2finger swipe something just to see more toggles when they are just going to place the mostly used things when they pull down the notification center :/

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think they covered the extra stuff with that "All settings" shortcut in the action center. Good enough for me at least, I only turn on airplane mode, for example, when going to movies so I don't need that on the action center toggle display. It's a great way to get to Settings.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
These smaller niggles are going to be what Microsoft will listen to and most likely implement as soon as they can, which will mean likely 6-8 months in the 8.2 update, unless they really get their skates on and implement them asap.

Let's face it though, these are small issues that interfere with your preferences. The Action Centre itself works as advertised, no complaints here.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I use the Nokia Lumia 810 but I really don't see the need for a data toggle for me. That's why msft gave us options to chose what toggles go where even though I do still think its not necessary. And I don't think most people are going to 2finger swipe something just to see more toggles when they are just going to place the mostly used things when they pull down the notification center :/

It's important to try to save energy or to make sure your data pack isn't used up if your wifi connection goes on and off alot the thing is the action centre is limited to 4 which is pretty neat but I wish they added an extra slot

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
These smaller niggles are going to be what Microsoft will listen to and most likely implement as soon as they can, which will mean likely 6-8 months in the 8.2 update, unless they really get their skates on and implement them asap.

Let's face it though, these are small issues that interfere with your preferences. The Action Centre itself works as advertised, no complaints here.
I hope so , do you know any place where I can provide Microsoft with such suggestions though ? Discussing it on forums here is pointless if our voice doesn't reach them
FYI I think that these small things are details customers look for and what sets operating systems apart. Microsoft would be wise to understand such a thing and work on filling those little gaps that aren't really significant but they do complete the whole picture. Do you get what I'm trying to say ?

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
use cortana to turn off wifi :)

as for the 3rd point yes agree about that. Made a topic about it.

another problem with the notification center doesn't cooperate with the tiles. Maybe the apps need to update for 8.1

Cortana doesn't seem to turn wifi off for me, how do you do it?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
1. Its a necessity to all of us. turning off 3G when at home turning it back on when going out. Its something you do everyday no doubt about it
2. I get your point. You make complete sense. but such a setting should be removed in my case ( because chose manually) + that's not something THAT essential to make me go through 3 steps instead of 2
3. my phone is a Lumia 920 :)

Cant argue with you about that , the notification center is superior although its not completely synchronized. Like when I open my mail from the tile , and check the notification centre later it doesn't remove it from there unless I swipe it away. But the action centre on the Android is PERFECT , sorry. That's actually a nice idea although it will take up space from the main homescreen. that's why they made the notification center after all

I do not agree with you on 1st point. Thats the reason they have Introduced wifi sense. When you reach home, your phone should detect any known wifi connections and automatically connect and switch to the connection. That way you do not use up your 3G or 4G data. So there is no need to switch of data connection.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I do not agree with you on 1st point. Thats the reason they have Introduced wifi sense. When you reach home, your phone should detect any known wifi connections and automatically connect and switch to the connection. That way you do not use up your 3G or 4G data. So there is no need to switch of data connection.
Yes but its not only about connection, its about battery life , its about turning off any connections except for phone calls and SMS in case its urgent, its about replying on whatsapp and quickly switching off all kind of connections so you don't have to be obliged to reply back
I know I'm being very picky I apologize for that but I still think you need that switch Daniel himself pointed it out in his windows phone 8.1 review

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
In response to your reasons for being unimpressed:

1. I can agree with that one. Although I don't have a use for it, it's always good to have a data toggle for the ones that need it. Hell, the more toggles the better right?
2. I believe this one is like this because of having the option to choose how long a person wants the WiFi off. I can also see just an off/on toggle here as well.
3. I believe this "lag" is for the half-pull down just for the toggles. It takes nothing away from its elegance in my opinion.

But like with everything else, to each its own. I was all against an action center altogether but now I've had a chance to use it myself, I'm glad it's part of the ecosystem now.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes but its not only about connection, its about battery life , its about turning off any connections except for phone calls and SMS in case its urgent, its about replying on whatsapp and quickly switching off all kind of connections so you don't have to be obliged to reply back
I know I'm being very picky I apologize for that but I still think you need that switch Daniel himself pointed it out in his windows phone 8.1 review

I turn off data all the tim when I am out and about so it`s not trying to sync stuff in the background or running out my battery. I agree with you 100% that a data connection toggle should be there or at least a direct link to a setting to turn it off. On Android in newer versions in the quick settings, a tap on the data toggle takes you directly to the data settings so you can restrict background data or turn it off completely, something similar in WP would be convenient.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I need the data button too, Nokia Lumia 822 has a glitch over tmobile network that it only lets you text over 2g, so I switch back and forth constantly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)