Not Satisfied with the m8's camera? Check this out!

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
So my girlfriend got the m8 not for the camera but because her last phone was wigging out (928) she had dropped it like 50 times so the digitizer was acting strange. She decided on the m8 because she loved the round edges. Anyway after using the camera, she was a little more than disappointing vs her 928. But that disappointment quickly faded when she saw the front facing camera.

I However was not as distracted and i wanted to see if i could get decent pics out of this phone.

I've had the proshot app for a long time but have never really used it much on my nokia because the pro cam app is pretty equivalent in terms of quality for me. But using proshot on the one m8 is amazing.

Take a look for your selves:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5aj8qilthrdyui/htc camera vs pro cam.zip?dl=0

So everyone get out there and support this guy, he makes one hell of a camera app!

ProShot | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
^ right.. Anyway i spoke a little too soon. There are some timing issues with the proshot (the developer has not accounted for the specific htc one m8 flash timings etc) so night shots or dark shots will not turn out AT ALL as the flash is not fired when AF lamp is set to on. I have emailed the developer and hopefully they can push out a fix in the coming weeks.

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Everyone make sure to email the developer and let them know that you are using an htc m8 and that you're looking forward to an update to fix AF lamp and flash!

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the few apps I paid for on the Windows Phone Store, really amazing app.

I admit I was debating on getting this then when it was free I had no excuse not to. The only thing I am having trouble with is the ISO. I can't get night time shots as good as the built in Nokia cam. But this is one awesome app

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I admit I was debating on getting this then when it was free I had no excuse not to. The only thing I am having trouble with is the ISO. I can't get night time shots as good as the built in Nokia cam. But this is one awesome app

The reason why you get worse shots at lower ISO is because Nokia Camera takes a unique approach at this.

Nokia Camera tries to keep the Exposure above 0, and it automatically changes the shutter speed and exposure while you are adjusting ISO. It's the only camera app that does this.

So basically Nokia Camera allows you to take ISO 100 shots at 4S shutter speed at night and provided you have very steady hands or a tripod you can take some very wonderful lowlight landscapes with Nokia Camera.

But IMO ProShot has a much faster shutter speed compared to Nokia Camera and for capturing motion I would recommend ProShot.

Both apps have their advantages but ProShot really impressed me, I managed to take some decent snaps with my Lumia 520(when I had it).

Here are a few photos I took with ProShot, they aren't the best but still impressive for the 520's sensor:

1408830688969.jpg

1408830717529.jpg

While here are some photos I took with Nokia Camera:

1408830770798.jpg

1408830786828.jpg

Both apps have their own advantages, nonetheless ProShot is an app worth paying for. 👍

Sorry for going slightly OT but just to prove I'm not a bad photographer I felt compelled to share a few snaps I've taken with my current phone:

1408830880309.jpg
1408830925410.jpg

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I think that's brilliant. Thanks for clearing that up and using the pics to show me. I will use pro shot all the time but Nokia cam for effects such as ISO and action shot

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think that's brilliant. Thanks for clearing that up and using the pics to show me. I will use pro shot all the time but Nokia cam for effects such as ISO and action shot

Haha thanks a lot.

In a nutshell use Nokia Camera to take photos of still subjects and try to keep ISO as low as possible, I would also recommend getting a tripod because not many people can keep a phone stable at 4 seconds shutter speed.

Always set focus before taking a photo with ProShot, and I wouldn't recommend using the manual controls in ProShot(other than White balance maybe).

I've also heard that ProShot takes way faster photos than Nokia Camera on the Lumia 1020 because of the fact that Nokia Camera takes two photos(38 MP + 5 MP) while ProShot takes only one 38 MP shot.

On a sidenote one of you should contact ProShot developers and tell them to add "continuous focus" because the Windows Phone 8.1 API supports continuous focus. It will make photo taking even faster.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Haha thanks a lot.

In a nutshell use Nokia Camera to take photos of still subjects and try to keep ISO as low as possible, I would also recommend getting a tripod because not many people can keep a phone stable at 4 seconds shutter speed.

Always set focus before taking a photo with ProShot, and I wouldn't recommend using the manual controls in ProShot(other than White balance maybe).

I've also heard that ProShot takes way faster photos than Nokia Camera on the Lumia 1020 because of the fact that Nokia Camera takes two photos(38 MP + 5 MP) while ProShot takes only one 38 MP shot.

On a sidenote one of you should contact ProShot developers and tell them to add "continuous focus" because the Windows Phone 8.1 API supports continuous focus. It will make photo taking even faster.

Yeah proshot is the best for every day normal.pics. It just makes the pics sharper. Your right about the tripod. Took a night shot using the ISO on delay...forgot to turn the flash off and 2 women walked by.....looked up and called me a dirty old man lol totally unexpected lol

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No. They were not, trust me, clean them with your hand, and you will see the stripes change direction.

Clean them with a cloth and you will get a clear view of direct light.

I don't have the 520 anymore, but I will try this out with my Nexus 5. What kind of cloth should I clean with?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
microfiber wipes or lens cleaning wipes(a kind of tissue) and air blower to remove dust particles. I keep those in my camera kit by my computer so it is handy. I wouldn't carry them around for the purpose of my phone though.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Based on your pictures I have deduced you are a low ranking spy on a budget who waits in nice (rainy) places a long time for his contacts to show up and gets assigned cheap phones by The Company.

:D

(PS, those 520 pics are really nice! I need to go load ProShot on mine and play with it some more)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99