Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have retired my WindowsPhone to the home music streaming department. No Sim just Wifi streaming Spotify and Slacker. Like Blackberry, WP is too shy on apps to even use as a backup phone for me. I use a BB10 phone for business and an Android for the personal line. That is a good combo for me and it works.

I was hoping WP would catch fire but it hasn't and I could not wait any longer.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have retired my WindowsPhone to the home music streaming department. No Sim just Wifi streaming Spotify and Slacker. Like Blackberry, WP is too shy on apps to even use as a backup phone for me. I use a BB10 phone for business and an Android for the personal line. That is a good combo for me and it works.

I was hoping WP would catch fire but it hasn't and I could not wait any longer.
I think I'll be ok with where WP is right now. Sure, it would be good if developers would give the device a second look with w10 but if they don't and I am no longer satisfied with it, I'll move to IOS. But that's a long way off right now. I'm still impressed with what Satya is doing and expect I'll right this out a while longer. I should have a 950 in house soon..

cb950xl

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I am new to Windows Phones. I have been using Android for years. I have not been interested in WP because of the difference in the phone and the desktop OS. I have been following these post for several weeks. I hear people talk about WP as a dying plant. If I didn?t know better I would shy away from WP. I am new to WP because I see the new OS and the flagship phones as a new seed that Windows has planted that I expect to flourish and grow. I was tired of seeing the new phones on other platforms getting rid of replaceable batteries, SD cards Qi charging and other features. I had one SD card die. Because my phone had a replaceable SD card, I replaced it and did not have to get another phone. Widows has become a leader and has others rethinking their products. Sure there are a couple of applications I need. One is the app for my home security cameras. When I travel I will throw my Android in a bag and use it on Wi-Fi to check my cameras. Instead of telling my friend?s negatives, I am telling them about the great new features and how I can use my phone as a phone and a computer. That Window?s is developing new ways for people to port apps to the platform. I believe that the new seed will develop into something beautiful! It does take time to grow something from seed.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Is there an app store you can view like Google play and Itunes on your browser, the only one I can find is the clunky one on the Microsoft website, that seems more geared towards apps for PC's. Any windows phone app review sites etc?

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I am going to try make this (Windows) world a little better and write an app rather than complaining about the lack of them. :). I see a gap out there for something I would like to have, might as well take a stab at writing a gap filler I figure. Universal App dev looks interesting and I always wanted to do something in XAML anyway...

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Is there an app store you can view like Google play and Itunes on your browser, the only one I can find is the clunky one on the Microsoft website, that seems more geared towards apps for PC's. Any windows phone app review sites etc?

This website was previously named as "Windows phone central". Besides there are others like
1. wpxbox.com
2. Nokiapoweruser.com
3. Wmpoweruser
4. Winbeta
and many others.....

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am going to try make this (Windows) world a little better and write an app rather than complaining about the lack of them. :). I see a gap out there for something I would like to have, might as well take a stab at writing a gap filler I figure. Universal App dev looks interesting and I always wanted to do something in XAML anyway...

Developing something still unofficial and I doubt you could do for banking

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
One app that is far better on windows phone is the fitbit app, constantly getting updates with new features, the live tile support is far better then the android or iOS widgets.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
We need more people like you :) especially now that Visual studio community 2015 and windows 10 are free and a personal dev account is ?15 (or free you are a student)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
With the lack of flagships and the coming of the Windows 10 Universal App platform, we've been in a holding pattern for over a year. The same goes for devs.

FB, Twitter, Vine, and many others ARE coming. I suspect Snapchat will come largely BECAUSE media uses it and it's a lot better to have multiple windows open on a desktop or laptop than flipping through apps through a switcher on a phone, regardless of platform. Station manager at big local iHeart station has said their company is demanding Windows 10 apps because of this.

This is the hidden secret to Windows 10. Businesses use Windows 10. Many businesses will LOVE the idea of mobile apps running side by side in a desktop because it's better for their business. Businesses drive advertising and subscription accounts for many companies.

You get Windows 10 into media, into other businesses that spend lots of money and any big app would be unwise not to come to the party.

It's not just about consumers, though the interesting aspect of Windows 10 is people ARE preferring to use apps over web browsers for things like Netflix, Hulu, etc (this WASN'T the case in Windows 8), but also about various enterprises.

The argument for HUGE media companies to move to Windows 10 centers around the ability to run FB, Twitter, SnapChat, WhatsApp, etc on one screen. I also expect a move to find a way to make your mobile phone and SMS show up too - regardless of the OS on the phone. The local ABC news station my father worked at for years and their parent media company are excited about this idea for their news broadcasts.

But we've taken time to get here. And, sure, there's a chance it won't work. But this is focused on Windows, Phone, and Xbox. And MS is working hard in the background to get all the major players on board, including the largest banks. They figure if you get the big players, the little guys will come eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria