Official "I have the Surface 2" thread

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
waiting for my Surface 2 to arrive, thanks to the refurbished sale!!!

So excited! My Surface Pro 2 is still my favorite machine. My Surface RT has served me well as an Office machine and music machine (though it's too slow as a web browser).

My DecalGirl skins are coming in the mail so I can cover and protect my SP2 and S2. good times ahead!!!

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up a refurb for my dad. Played with it for a while. Microsoft really dropped the ball in terms of marketing this beast. When I gave it to my dad I carefully explained to him what this tablet was:
You can't install pc programs in it but it does pretty much everything else a PC can do. It may be an easier sell now since the app market is filling out. I hope Windows 10 gives us access to the Phone apps. The ipad would be insane if it had a similar set-up.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
*insert bombastic symphonic music*

I .... have SURFACED!!!!!!!! 2.

As a 2nd time WP owner (Trophy then Icon) and now a 1st time tablet owner (thank you refurb sale), I must say that ... so far it's nice. I'm not going nuts because a tablet just can't blow me away with what it can do with what I already have (awesome laptop and phone). And even for this seasoned WP user, the interface is taking a bit of getting used to, which I can see annoying the impatient. That being said, as I'm adjusting, I'm digging it much. I'm typing this on laptop though because I don't yet have a type cover and the onscreen keyboard is a chore to use.

What is surprising me more than anything though is the inconsistency between apps on my phone and this. Sometimes the tablet app is better but most of the time it's the other way around. For instance, in the WC app, I can't figure out how to access the forums at all. And IM+ Pro isn't universal so I have to spend $4.99 again? Homey don't play that! But my favorite comic reader on my phone (Lindy Comics) isn't available so I had to find something else and found Cover and it is AWESOME!

Still feeling my way through, but I don't regret my decision. Especially once I finally start using remote desktop and show others why RT is still worth it. I don't even have the desire to run x86 programs on this ...

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Finally got my Surface 2 last week during the holiday sales. Went with the 32GB version for $299 at Best Buy and got the Type Cover 2 earlier that week at Staples for around $70 after sale price, 20% off bag coupon, and tax. :smile:

This is my 1st tablet and overall I'm happy with it. Not sure yet if it's worth it to exchange it for the 64GB version since they are still on sale. Already seeing the issues with Windows Updates taking up too much disk space but I was fully aware of this going in. I will probably create a USB recovery drive and then delete the recovery image to free up some space. Already have a SanDisk Pixtor 64GB microSD card coming on back order from last week's BF sales.

Surface2_6tag_photo.jpg

James Ng1

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just got my surface 2 for ADU 298 + 110 typecover. Loving it. Was comparing it to the note pro12.2 (hancom office + bluetooth dock that doubles as a cover...pretty cool). But ended up with the surface as it has that usb3 goodness. Sure i miss out on the 'apps', but i realise you can do a lot with the browser. IE itself is very good actually, and it syncs with my lumia 1520. Xbox video now plays mkv, i just plug in my external hardrive and voila. Desktop...oooo the desktop....that is where all the multitasking goodness comes. Multiple office + multiple IE with multiple tabs + excel...love it

I can access my cloud software, i use my one drive (tf from dropbox), it's a friggin awesome device to get.

bad things...like i said, no apps (but doesn't matter if you don't care about apps); standby power could be better (but htis is because tegra 4 is 'always on'; c/f android/ios, changing brightness/screen rotation/bluetooth is not as quick (no notifcation drag down); no stylus for note taking

all in all happy :)

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Surface RT a month ago, it was very cheap and I wanted to try out the device as I was considering a pro or Android tablet. At first I found Windows RT a bit of a strange hybrid and was puzzled at what MS were doing.

2 weeks in and I was hooked, so much so that I realised that this device was just perfect for my needs. So I sold the RT and got a Surface 2. I am now waiting for a type 2 cover to replace the touch cover, which is not so usable on the lap.

It is better than any laptop I have ever used because it is just so portable and long lasting. I work in IT support and now use my Surface rather than my work ThinkPad. I often have to pop to different parts of the building and I can just fold the surface cover and go, no faffing about waiting for sleep mode or wondering if I will need my charger or not. With one drive for business and full office, inc outlook it is just such an essential work tool. There is only one app I miss and that is Sky+, the full ie browse seems to cover all other apps I use and the multi tasking is way ahead of other tablets. Sd card slot is handy but the USB3 port is just fantastic for plugging in my 1Tb USB back up, or using my wireless mouse or charging my phone!

I hope it gets Windows 10, but it won't be a tragedy if it doesn't as it works so well for me now and I actually like Windows RT for its simplicity and worry free use.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
People. I want to factory reset my S2. When I need to hold down the volume button and click the volume button, my tablet just takes me to the login screen. It takes longer than usual - something is happening - but I just end up on the regular login screen.

What do I do now?

Thanks in advance!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
People. I want to factory reset my S2. When I need to hold down the volume button and click the volume button, my tablet just takes me to the login screen. It takes longer than usual - something is happening - but I just end up on the regular login screen.

What do I do now?

Thanks in advance!

Charms, settings, change pc setting, update and recovery

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Thats what I try to do, but Windows tells me that "some files are missing". So I downloaded the OS files from the MSFT website and put them on a formatted USB. I need to reboot and hold down the volume button, according to the support page, to start the reset process. I should at some point be able to select the USB as recovery drive, but I just get taken to the login screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124