Official response to battery problem

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a QA issue with what ever company puts the phones together. As I seem to have a 1020 that the battery just seems to last. I even managed to eek out almost a full 2 days light to med use the one day I did not plug in at bed time.

I have all Stock apps from Nokia ( removed all Rogers crap ). Most of my update settings are on, plus I have no clue now how many asked to run in background.

I will say this....from 100% to 45% to my feeling seems to last most of the day. From 45% to 10% battery and the nag toasts can happen quickly.

Now just from reading posts on most of the Lumia Models, I would say it seems luck of the draw fits here. Production of the phones seems to swing in batches......a good batch after complaints, then a bad batch when things calm down.

If you do happen to run an exchange on a phone, I would ask the person at what ever store you dealt with does not give you another phone from the same shipment. As phones ship in 25 or 50 unit lots I think.

Divjot Singh

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I tried draining battery completely and then recharging it , I could get 17-18 hours with ease , provided I don't WhatsApp much (<15 minutes of use). WhatsApp singly brings down the battery by a lot. But I guess it is true for most IMs and on most Phones even on other platforms.
I have WiFi connection on all the time and location services on (I need it for geo tag on photos). Rest all settings are pretty normal (no glance and double tap though). One thing I do is that I turn on battery saver mode to save battery when out, it is also a nice way to disable all notifications and internet usage when phone is locked.

Please don't charge phone at say 20% or so , let it discharge completely to avoid weird drain issues. And yes it seems possible to me that Nokia Black will fix it, and maybe GDR3 too does some memory management or something to conserve battery (reports did come that battery life had improved by 15%)

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Here is my ultimate settings to improve battery.

Reset/reformat the phone
Uninstall all the bloatwares (Angry bird roost, Nokia drive, Nokia here lens, Nokia Maps, CNN, ESPN Hub, Nokia Smart Cam, Smart Shoot, App Highlights, Transfer my data, Nokia Care, Weather App, Facebook, Twitter) ETC. Until you cannot uninstall anymore apps
Then go to settings
Turned off vibrate, uncheck Key Press, and lock and unlock on Sound settings.
Choose dark theme
Set lock screen to 30 seconds
Uncheck "Notify me when new networks are found" in wifi settings
Turned off bluetooth
Turned off tap+send
Turned off Data connection and set the highest connection speed to 2G
Turned off Location
Turned off all the backup settings (auto upload)
Set brightness to Low
Set touch sensitivity to Normal
Tuned off Connect with Xbox
Now install only necessary apps that you will only use.
Then disable or blocked all the background task
Do not fully drain your battery by the way.

Enjoy!
nonsense advice.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Twitter running in the back ground seems to suck down a lot of battery
that is a sweeping statement! twitter drain depends on so many variables that it might kill your battery or affect it very little. i have the official twitter app installed. only have 3 people that i have enabled tweet notifications 'on' from and my battery was at 95% at 00:23 this morning. it is at 87% now so dropped 8% in 12 hours

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
phew... my 920 battery drains at 20% per hour. i get on average about 5.5 hours. texting (wifi on) being the main activity with an almost equal screen on time. i thought this was bad until i saw your stat. i tried everything like putting it on power saving mode as soon as i unplug the charger, even disabled all background apps no live tiles.. as someone suggested.. do a hard reset. and before installing the apps.. try monitoring it for a day or two. i used to get 3 days standby when i was in airplane mode (played some games).

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I usually have around 40-60% battery left when I go to bed. I have no idea how you guys manage to drain more than a couple of % each hour.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried draining battery completely and then recharging it , I could get 17-18 hours with ease , provided I don't WhatsApp much (<15 minutes of use). WhatsApp singly brings down the battery by a lot. But I guess it is true for most IMs and on most Phones even on other platforms.
I have WiFi connection on all the time and location services on (I need it for geo tag on photos). Rest all settings are pretty normal (no glance and double tap though). One thing I do is that I turn on battery saver mode to save battery when out, it is also a nice way to disable all notifications and internet usage when phone is locked.

Please don't charge phone at say 20% or so , let it discharge completely to avoid weird drain issues. And yes it seems possible to me that Nokia Black will fix it, and maybe GDR3 too does some memory management or something to conserve battery (reports did come that battery life had improved by 15%)

Li-ion battery you only let discharge to 0% ( Lumia's shut off a 3-6% anyway) maybe every 30 days,
they have no memory, charging at 35-45% or higher is perfectly OK with a Li- ion battery,
letting it exhaust itself is for NiMH or NiCd {largely obsolete ) batteries not Li-ion

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I had that one and 5 others running at the same time discharge rate is an "educated guess at best" none had the same discharge rate,
battery meter apps like that one, that collect a lot of data and have lots of notices drain the battery significantly.

Checking the battery with a shortcut to the saver is best. Discharge rate is a "joke" imo.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As opposed to other manufacturers' phones being built in Germany?

I am sorry but there is one phone manufacturer who builds their phones outside mainland China, that is HTC who make their mostly in Taiwan.

Unlike the competition, Nokia build their phones in Nokia factories, they don't (or now don't) have their phones produced by other people, like Apple with foxconn, meaning they can insure consistent quality.

I am still disappointed Nokia moved production from Finland to China, but they have gone about it in a better way than some other manufacturers, at least they are marinating a bit more control.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry but there is one phone manufacturer who builds their phones outside mainland China, that is HTC who make their mostly in Taiwan.

Unlike the competition, Nokia build their phones in Nokia factories, they don't (or now don't) have their phones produced by other people, like Apple with foxconn, meaning they can insure consistent quality.

I am still disappointed Nokia moved production from Finland to China, but they have gone about it in a better* way than some other manufacturers, at least they are marinating a bit more control.

Cost of living in Finland and very strong unions and the wages for full time workers in Nokia's China factories is approx. 80 EU a month, in Finland the workers get more than that in one day -has made moving to China good for share holders and kept cost of handsets low(er)
Besides many NOKIA handsets have been made in India for a long time in fact in the mid 2000's the factory there (Nokia largest facility ) was producing about 300,000 handsets per day
They've also been highly criticized by Finnish watch groups, one of the factories Nokia runs in China, workers do get more than farm workers but only get 1 day off every 3 weeks.

* better for who ?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
out of interest how do you get the shortcut for that? tried holding down 'battery saver' in settings but do not get the pin to start prompt
Several apps in the store in fact have a shortcut to battery saver, screen rotation etc "toggles" has a shortcut to the battery saver that "updates" when you open it but it is a shortcut that you can add to the start screen and gives status details in the lock screen if you enable it in lock screen settings Toggles | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Since skype and Facebook cannot be turned off at the background task. I think they are one of the culprit.

You can turn off facebook tasks and you can turn off toasts from the app in settings and
Background Tasks
Advanced
These apps can run in the background and you "may not" be able to block all of them.
You can block some on the list and FB is one of them.

FB.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte