(Official) What WP needs to succeed

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I know many android users that use this reason as to not to even consider Windows phone OS.

Android users will use any reason to not consider WP, you give them keyboards they'll just find another excuse like no file explorer etc. I wouldn't believe that they are really open to change either way. I find the Swype keyboard to be inferior to the native keyboard and the English WP keyboard is probably the best one out there (I have all current mobile OS devices and use them daily, so I'm speaking from experience), that said outside of the English keyboard WP is lagging behind such as different Chinese IME which Android is much quicker at filling in. I'm much more disappointed with stuff like that the Chinese handwriting IME of WP still shows me simplified characters when my input is specifically set to traditional, which is quite offensive to Hong Kongers and Taiwanese people - because it's like suggesting American English spelling to a Brit and shows serious lack of attention in localising the system for areas outside of the Western world.

fnanfne

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
One MASS thread for ALL the shortcomings of WP?

These comments will be lost, what's the point? Who will even read this post of mine other than the administrator?! The life of any thread is only a few pages long, not a plethora of pages one needs to wade through!

This is a great way of obfuscating the ****ty WP OS, well done.

For what it's worth, her are my WP annoyances:

Actually no, what is the point posting in this worn out lengthy thread?!?!

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Why non US phone enthusiasts should go to wp8??? Bing full and cortana is just US limited...

If MSFT is to much confined itself to US only.... Full Bing experience and Cortana will remain just limited to US then fine!!! MSFT sell your bricks to US only....

PS:- RIP LIVE TILES ON MY L720... THEY ARE DEAD SINCE 6 Days . Volume plus power off button are failed doctors to treat it,.. I lost hopes and interest... Each 15 days some app turn villain and we have to waste time in R & D of wp8 to reanimate live tiles.. I'm fed up.

anandkumar44

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The App Store needs more real life apps. For example just to mention a few are Banking, Navigation, Browsers, Sports, Air Lines, Career Related, Medical, Math, Lottery, and so on. WP8 and the Windows OS specifics are remarkable but that's not enough. I believe that the iOS and Android store are the reason for their success. The WP8 store is flat compare to the other 2 OSESS I speak from experience. On the other hand I like Microsoft products and made the switch to WP8 from IOS recently. I'm going to stick around. I believe that the Window Store team will have a mile stone of accomplishments in 2014.

Excellent explanation mate.......+1

Lukas Lukas2

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I got for Christmas my memory card i wanted that my games and apps would be there but as i started looking true the websites i saw that memory cards only alowed videos and photos and I'm going to say that's is really stupid and i really hate this. My opinion that they should make that you can store apps and games. Now i have ps 1 games and i don't have enough space and its really annoying.
I wanna discuss about this what is your opinion on this? And they just should make that you can store games and apps in to the memory card

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I got for Christmas my memory card i wanted that my games and apps would be there but as i started looking true the websites i saw that memory cards only alowed videos and photos and I'm going to say that's is really stupid and i really hate this. My opinion that they should make that you can store apps and games. Now i have ps 1 games and i don't have enough space and its really annoying.
I wanna discuss about this what is your opinion on this? And they just should make that you can store games and apps in to the memory card

It's not that you can't save other files than videos and music on a microSD card. The problem is that we can't access them with our WP devices. MS has to give access to certain APIs so we can save/use different file types. Also a file explorer/manager would be needed.

If you have experience with Android you might remember that it took quite a while too till it was possible to save apps/games to the SD card (I think it was somwhere in version 2.x where this option was introduced).
From what I'm observing with WP, Microsoft is kinda going the same way in the evolution of their mobile OS like Android (step by step introducing features and taking their time) instead of implementing those features in short time to get on the same level (iOS isn't included for discussion because the iPhone doesn't support microSD cards at all).

Edit: But resign just now, there may be a solution coming with WP 8.1 (WP Central has an article on this -> here)

sergeten

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Tiles of all battery apps do not show actual battery status, unless you start the application itself. I understand from the pages of publishers that this is due to OS restrictions (the update can take place only once in 30 minutes). Something should be done with this. Microsoft's own application perhaps?

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
A shortcut to battery saver screen, which has percentage, would do fine. Same goes for Brightness setting, just a shortcut, like we have for wifi, bluetooth, mobile data etc..

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Tried connectivity tiles? It does just that.

Yes---
status_tiles.jpg

deecoop0351

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
A decent browser wouldn't hurt.

Notification center wouldn't hurt

Get half the terrible apps out the store wouldn't hurt.

Why do we keep talking about this Microsoft already knows what they need to do.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Can't save numbers to contacts. Can't save apps to SD cards. Can't mass delete emails. Can't turn off music player volume controls without 3rd party apps.Can't save attachments in emails. Can't save all videos in one place, videos are all over the place. Can't select multiple pictures for mms sending.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Can't save numbers to contacts. Can't save apps to SD cards. Can't mass delete emails. Can't turn off music player volume controls without 3rd party apps.Can't save attachments in emails. Can't save all videos in one place, videos are all over the place. Can't select multiple pictures for mms sending.

can't save numbers to contacts? Care to elaborate?

You can select multiple emails, and empty the deleted items folder

Pausing the music works just fine. Any particular reason to want to stop the music?

Email attachments can be saved if the file type is supported on the phone. Saving unsupported good types is a waste of space.

im not much of a video person and dont send mms so I can't answer those questions.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
To have the basics correct,and weird immaturities of the OS (already mentioned multiple times in almost every forum),to provide a solid platform,and this is not restricted to just maturity

of apps,but the maturity of the OS aswell,Some reliable and well-defined toast notifications,Notification center are the Singlemost important things for me,As I plan to switch from iOS

to Wp8,though you would laugh at it,iOS still do have OS immaturities (UNABLE to copy a part of text from the text bubble in messages/apps,WTF and etc) but still there are solid

alternatives like JB,and overall the system is extremely efficient and matured,the apps are mind blowing...MS can't have the excuse of being a young OS anymore,otherwise it will be lost in the dust

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
USB-OTG would be a great start. Especially for devices that don't have expandable memory support.

IE needs major improvements in terms of features. It's generally stable enough but missing so many basic things.

A user friendly music player is a must.

Improved Bluetooth.

More apps....ok so this is down to third party development as well as MS/Nokia but if the features on the phones were improved, more people would make the switch to Windows Phone and the knock on effect is more apps will be made.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Only apps will bring market share, at this point. I am convinced of it. And not "get the same apps iOS and Android have" but NEW apps. A killer app that only WP has. I believe it's the ONLY way. I don't know how to get there, but I can't see any other way.

Why? Because WP8 is EVERYWHERE in ads and movies/TV. I mean, they're freaking everywhere, like in the new "Jack Ryan" movie I saw the other day for example, my girlfriend whispered "Hey, he has the same phone you do!". I said "Hey, yeah at least there's two of us!" Of course, I wish they had shown something cool the phone did (real or not), instead of him just sending texts. LOL.

For all the massive advertising and product placement WP makes, there seems to be very little movement in the market. Clearly, that is not the way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254