Only 1 WP8 Counts as a device on xbox music pass

imstymied

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
To say I am a bit miffed and just plain hacked of at xbox music would an understatement. I got my new 1020 to replace my 900 personal phone. I have a 920 for by business phone. I used my personal live ID to set up the 1020 same one as the 900 used. The xbox music pass is associated with my business ID. Synced the 1020 and got DRM errors. Checked to make sure it was on the device list and it was. After hours working with support a tech asked if I used the ID associated with music pass to set up the phone. I said no what would be the point of having a second phone if that were the case an ID mirrors itself on all machines it is used on. He didn't understand what I meant. I proceeded to explain if I used the the same ID on both phones all of the email content etc would be the same on both. He said exactly. I explained that my personal phone is personal my business phone is business and he still didn't get it.

Bottom line is if you have 2 WP8"s for any reason the second WP8 can not get rights to Music Pass unless it uses the same ID as the 1st WP8 Phone. Same goes for Surface if you have a surface for work and one for home only 1 can be a device for Music Pass.

I never had an issue with my 937 Samsung and Lumia 900 both were devices.

Anyone else run into this.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
So:

Lumia 1020 replaced Lumia 900 as personal phone, with personal account; no mention of Music Pass.
Lumia 920 with business account, with Music Pass.

You must have a Music Pass for each Microsoft account, otherwise you'll have to use one account with Music Pass to all your devices to use Xbox Music.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
What's so shocking? Each music pass works for one Microsoft ID. Otherwise, you could buy one pass and then let your wife and kids (up to five devices) listen.

Why can't you set up both devices with the same ID and put different email accounts on each one. Or, if you use live as your main email, just add a second live email to one of the devices.

imstymied

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes I used the Zune software to add the device to the device list when I first set it up. I downloaded directly to the phone and let wireless sync or phone update DRM. My 900 was connected to Zune maybe 3 times since April of 2012 all for updates to the phone. Microsoft says Zune is dead and the software is a stop gap until they figure out xbox music.

imstymied

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
What's so shocking? Each music pass works for one Microsoft ID. Otherwise, you could buy one pass and then let your wife and kids (up to five devices) listen.

I guess what is so shocking is that with ZUNE it was based on devices. It did not matter if I had four Zunes they all worked. That's what made it worth having. Having a zune in the shop and one in my truck and 1 on my boat made it very convenient.

Why can't you set up both devices with the same ID and put different email accounts on each one. Or, if you use live as your main email, just add a second live email to one of the devices.

Unfortunately ID does not work that way. When you use an ID as primary on a phone your get everything associated with the ID. Contacts, Email, Documents, Pictures all Follow that ID. There is no way to separate it from the device. This is a great concept for a pc that you can log in and log out of. You cant log in or out of a WP. You are stuck with the ID you set the phone up with unless you do a hard reset. Secondly you cant have 2 phone numbers on a WP. It would be awesome if I could log into my phone have a new number and my files follow me. I am sure the carrier would hate it. While I could use my company as a personal phone what happens when I leave that company. All my personal info goes with the phone and I have to get a new number to 100 or so people. It is much cleaner to have 2 devices. Been there done that its a mess. I am not the only person in the world who does it the same way.

Which brings me back to why a device is not a device as it used to be. There has to be a way to authenticate outside of the Live ID if you are not allowed to log in and out of a device.

imstymied

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So:

Lumia 1020 replaced Lumia 900 as personal phone, with personal account; no mention of Music Pass.
Lumia 920 with business account, with Music Pass.

You must have a Music Pass for each Microsoft account, otherwise you'll have to use one account with Music Pass to all your devices to use Xbox Music.

Yes you are correct but this is not the way it was with ZUNE devices were devices. Live ID authenticated you then for a piece of software. Today it authenticates you for a device or operating system. It is a WP8 only issue. You can not log in and out of your WP. I could log into a PC in China or someones Surface RT anywhere or your XBOX and get to my music pass using my ID. You cant do that with WP. I get and understand what they are doing and agree with how it works but I don't think it is correct for second WP8 not to be another device. People have 2 phones, 2 computers, 2 laptops, 2 surfaces etc etc. A second WP8 should be considered a device of which I am allowed 4.

The solution is pretty simple allow one other ID to be associated with the main ID problem solved.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
What are you trying to achieve? Do you expect both phones to have a music pass even when your personal account doesn't even have a music pass to start with? Each Microsoft account can have a music pass which can be used for up to 4 devices max. If you already have used your music pass with another device and replaced it, then you can remove it from your device list in either Zune software or Xbox Music under Manage Music Pass Devices.

imstymied

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
What are you trying to achieve? Do you expect both phones to have a music pass even when your personal account doesn't even have a music pass to start with? Each Microsoft account can have a music pass which can be used for up to 4 devices max. If you already have used your music pass with another device and replaced it, then you can remove it from your device list in either Zune software or Xbox Music under Manage Music Pass Devices.

I want to use my second WP8 as a device that simple.
I can have 4 WP7 phones as devices all using different ID. All are listed as devices and all work with different music on each.
I can have 4 Zune devices work all under the same ID used to log into Zune software and all work with different music on each.

Its very simple I don't give a Flip about the ID I care about the device. How hard is that to understand. I have a Microsoft service which is Zune or Xbox Music I do not have a service I pay for called live ID. Live ID is an authentication method that unifies log in to multiple services both free and payed. It is supposed to allow me to move about the world and not be tied to a box in my office. However in the case of WP8 since you cant log into it on the fly it does not work that way. You are limited to only one WP8 for Music Pass.

Maybe this will help If I have 2 Surface RT's (which I do) one for business and one personal. I could list both as devices with Music Pass. Then if I went on vacation and left my Business RT at my office and took my Personal RT on vacation. All I have to do to get to my business data is log onto my personal RT with my business ID and everything is there including music pass. I do not have that choice with WP8 unless I am willing to hard reset the phone set it up again with the ID associated with the pass.

Yes both WP8's can be on the device list but one is rendered useless unless it has the same ID as the 1st phone. If you do set it up with the same ID all of your documents, Pictures , contacts, texts, voicemails etc are the same on both phones for that ID the only thing that is different is the phone number. How much sense does that make? That's the problem if you want to or need to keep Business and Personal separate you need another ID to set up the second phone.

I bought the service, me not my ID. That service says I can have 4 devices. It should not matter what those devices are or if they are the same type. Microsoft is so gung ho with the pin number to prove who you are system provide me 4 pins let me put them on the 4 devices and be done with it. There are better and easier ways around authentication of devices than the ID where WP is concerned.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am facing a similar situation. My GF has Zune Pass. We have my WP7 and her WP7 listed as devices allowed to sync and play DRM music. This worked just fine. Since I did not have the Zune pass on my phone all I had to do was to sync my phone with zune to authorize the DRM content on my phone every 2 weeks. Now I got a WP8 and she still has WP7. I can no longer use my device as a device under the same account. This stinks...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb