Paul Thurrot: "There is the HTC Windows Phone 8X, and then there is everything else."

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Whatever floats one's boat.

Most of my life I've listened my music from laptop-esque integrated speakers, as in horrible quality and no bass. I've never used the FFC on my N8. I dont use Skype, dont care for any other video calls either, dont care for taking pictures of myself either :p

Whereas the features of 920 are much more what I need/prefer/want/use. 8X is a great device if the features match your needs!

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
They may have the best audio (certainly my Titan is far from perfect in the audio department) but only 16GB of storage space; it's a strange decision and certainly does not contribute to a feeling of leading edge.
FFC is something I can't get excited about, I only ever use it for Skype not for getting 4 of my mates into a photo when I'm out drinking.
I'm going to take some persuasion that HTC have upped their game since the Titan and Mozart.

And 32GB does? really only the Ativ S is "leading edge" in that area.

Well having owned 2 HTC & 1 Nokia WP's I didn't notice anything better about the Nokia in fact despite them advertising the "Carl Zeiss" Lens on the camera the quality was just not as good as the Mozart at least.

What really does the 920 have over the 8X that's leading edge?

Wireless charging is a gimmick it takes longer to charge and means if you want to use the phone whilst charging you will have to use it laying flat. Until wireless charging means exactly that as in I could maybe walk around my house with the phone charging wirelessly and it charges just as fast or faster than conventional charging then I don't see why its useful.

The Camera work's fine for low light but its not leading edge when it comes to daytime shots and despite people keep saying it will be fixed with a sw update I wouldn't be so sure the sw update didn't improve the Lumia 800 camera to a acceptable level.

etc etc

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Well having owned 2 HTC & 1 Nokia WP's I didn't notice anything better about the Nokia in fact despite them advertising the "Carl Zeiss" Lens on the camera the quality was just not as good as the Mozart at least.

Wireless charging is a gimmick it takes longer to charge and means if you want to use the phone whilst charging you will have to use it laying flat. Until wireless charging means exactly that as in I could maybe walk around my house with the phone charging wirelessly and it charges just as fast or faster than conventional charging then I don't see why its useful.

The Camera work's fine for low light but its not leading edge when it comes to daytime shots and despite people keep saying it will be fixed with a sw update I wouldn't be so sure the sw update didn't improve the Lumia 800 camera to a acceptable level.

etc etc

I'll be honest.

Next phone I'm getting, in about a year or whatever, will be a Nokia.

Why?

Is it better than all of the other Windows Phones? Probably not.

Why, then?

I feel Nokia should be rewarded for going whole-hog with WP.

Just felt I'd give my two cents.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

etc etc

He didnt say Nokia was leading edge with 32gb only that HTC certainly is NOT with a poor 16gb. As a music-freak there is no way Im buying a 16gb device. 32 is at least the double.
The point is that it is illogical to pimp soundquality and dont give us space to store our music. (Streaming services are for the radio-people who doesnt really care if some albums are missing).

L920 Screen works with gloves. Speaking for myself living in cold scandinavia this is awesome.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll be honest.

Next phone I'm getting, in about a year or whatever, will be a Nokia.

Why?

Is it better than all of the other Windows Phones? Probably not.

Why, then?

I feel Nokia should be rewarded for going whole-hog with WP.

Just felt I'd give my two cents.

Well they don't really have a choice they are up sh*t creek without a paddle.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Well they don't really have a choice they are up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Plus, they haven't gone "all in" with WP, either. They actually sell more Symbian and S40 handsets than Windows Phones. The proportion of total WP sales to overall smartphone sales for Nokia in 2012 will be lower than HTC's.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Plus, they haven't gone "all in" with WP, either. They actually sell more Symbian and S40 handsets than Windows Phones. The proportion of total WP sales to overall smartphone sales for Nokia in 2012 will be lower than HTC's.

I thought they were in a transition?

If they're not going all-in, I might have to look into a different company (barring Nokia Drive being Nokia-only, I forget if it will be).

I'm guessing the 8X doesn't have the oh-so-wonderful microphone problem that the original Titan had where everyone said I sounded like I was in a tunnel.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I love everything about the 920 except for the carrier that Nokia decided to go exclusive with in the US. If Nokia would have released their flagship phone on Verizon, I would have purchased it day 1.

However, that is not going to happen for 1 reason or another. I have to look at what is best based on a carrier that simply just works where I travel in the US. I really want to support Windows Phone 8. The HTC 8X looks like a great phone over all. Granted it will lack Nokia Drive and other Nokia exclusive apps.

I like having the top of the line phone. I have to decide if I upgrade now or hope that the rumored Feb/March release for a Flagship phone on Verizon from Nokia is true.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought they were in a transition?

If they're not going all-in, I might have to look into a different company (barring Nokia Drive being Nokia-only, I forget if it will be).

I'm guessing the 8X doesn't have the oh-so-wonderful microphone problem that the original Titan had where everyone said I sounded like I was in a tunnel.

They are all in. They haven't had a new Symbian phone since the 808 as far as I know. They continue to make Asha (S40) phones, but those compete at a price that even wp 7.X phones have a hard time reaching.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Goodness.

I'm likely going with the 8X. My mind may change. Yet here's what I know unequivocally: Windows Phone 8 is coming to market with three excellent phones on the top end.

There. Nokia, HTC, and Samsung have all delivered. Samsung's offering isn't particularly unique, but it brings some S3 gravitas with it and that's a popular phone.

Nokia has beautiful designs and some great features.

And so does HTC.

Frankly, I think Android fans will look at both the 8X and 920 and drool. Apple fans might, but they usually have some pretty heavily shaded glasses that prevent them from seeing greatness in anyone but Apple, though I think privately they will have doubts about Apple's ascendency.

It appears to me that the 8X and 920 have both climbed to the top of the smartphone heap. They have great design, both have great exclusive features that cater to different audiences, and their mobile OS is second to none.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
They are all in. They haven't had a new Symbian phone since the 808 as far as I know. They continue to make Asha (S40) phones, but those compete at a price that even wp 7.X phones have a hard time reaching.

The vast majority of their smartphone volume is non WP.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Overall the whole "debate" is stupid. Personally I'm glad that there are positive reviews out there versus the other subtly negative ones

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What Thurrot said is his point of view, HTC 8x is one nice looking device yes, But so is the Nokia L920 if Nokia hadn't done the exclusive thing with AT&T placing it on Verizon, AT&T, T-MO it would have been hands down lights out. If Samsung had brought the ATIVs State side and done the same it would be the second best selling WP8 device behind the L920. But the factors that are in motion now place the HTC 8X at the top tear on T-MO and Verizon. L920 is exclusive the ATIVs is not coming state side. I'm on T-MO sporting both the HTC HD7 and the Nokia L710, for me the best step would be the HTC 8x

HTC has given equally to Windows Phone. True they don't have the special apps that Nokia does, then HTC has never been known for kick *** apps. Granted the L920 is better than the 8x some people are saying that the L810 IS BETTER THAN THE 8X because of the app features even though overall it's close I don't have a mind supporting HTC as a personal snub to Nokia for making the best WP8 device Exclusive only and then passing out the watered sown version on everyone else

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Brother, brothers (and sisters) we need to cut the Nokia/HTC fanboyism (sp?). Brmiller1976 mentioned it twice and I'm going to repeat it. Paul is a major figure whether you agree with him or not and he said that a WINDOW PHONE is the best smart phone in his opinion. I see this a a major win for our platform. After just reading the 920 review in Boy Genius which pretty much said the Lumia fell short because it weighted too much it's refreshing to see an opinion that is so positive. Nokia, HTC or Samsung, it doesn't matter. Positive exposure for ANY phone is a win for the platform. :excl:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb