Phone Screen Staying on with Continuum

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I am just starting to use Continuum in earnest and had a quick question.

When connected either via Miracast or HDMI/display dock the Lumia 950XL screen stays on the entire time that I am connected via Continuum -- even if I am using Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

If I turn the phone screen off the Continuum session is interrupted.

Is there any way to have the screen off while connected via Continuum?

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I made an app that display an all black screen. That way I won't get burn-in or battery drain since black screen use less power.

I think someone else released an app to the store that does the same thing. Search for Disable screen or something like that.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I use an app called Blank Screen, which combined with disabling the Continuum banner only leaves the back/home/search buttons on the screen. There may be variants of the app that disable those too - I'd certainly like to hear about them!

But yeah, requiring the phone to be unlocked and active constantly feels like a bit of a design hiccup, but I guess it's just another one of those OS restrictions.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, the WC app doesn't appear to have an edit function in Continuum - but Disable Screen does appear to completely blank the screen including the aforementioned navbar icons, so that'll be my go-to app from here on =)

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I find it to be a bit of an oversight too, although I would imagine the number of Windows Phone 10 users who are diving headlong into Continuum are probably a small minority.

I find my usual Continuum setup is to use the MS folding keyboard and just use the phone screen as touchpad when I have access to a wireless display. That way I am carrying the bare minimum number of extras.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My main worry with Continuum would have been screen burn-in (it's an AMOLED display on the 950/950XL) so that app is brilliant.

I can see Microsoft basically implementing the idea of this app into the OS as a Continuum improvement; when in Continuum, the power button turns off only the screen, unlike currently without where the phone goes into more of a hibernation mode as is expected with general usage (which obviously must lessen the power available for Continuum).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard