Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Kissanviikset:

are you suffering from a bug that when you take the picture it's perfect clear, but when you tap to see it, the system puts like a green hue on it?

I updated to amber and now I'm suffering from this =/

Hi Andre!

It is not a bug. I'm sure you mean thing that happens when you view photo from that small preview image top left corner. It momentarily shows image how camera sensor saw it before software added post processing in to it. If photos would be saved like it appeared on your screen before you take shot, those would look completely bad. What you see momentarily is RAW image snapshot straight from sensor without any post processing. This phenomenon is best seen when you are shooting in very low light and then look in to that preview image and you see how photo is momentarily filled with noise before post processing cleans it out. You see that same noise from screen before shot and that image in your screen is actually RAW image your camera sees before any post processing.

Screens pixel density is over 300ppi and it hides all noise from those RAW images and making them look sharper but those would contain very much noise in them. Post processing ads colour corrections and noise reduction which makes photos look different compared what you see from screen before shot. If you go straight to camera roll, you see processed images without that shift in colours.
Image doesn't look like in real life from your screen before shot by the way. Try this out comparing colours from what you see from screen before shot and look how it is in reality. Then take shot and look how colours are after processing. Yes, those are correct after that most of a time.

Sensors in phones camera are very small and that means more noise and therefore more post processing, which leads to poorer image quality. Sensors in actual cameras are very big compared to phones and those big sensors leads to low noise, accurate colours and less processing needed which means high image quality.

Shift between preview image and processed image depends completely how good lightning conditions shot is taken. In good sunlight there is quite little need for software to correct it. In those conditions you see almost no shift between preview and processed image, since very little processing is applied. Low light conditions needs lots of noise reduction and colour correction, meaning noticeable shift between preview and processed image.

Hope this helped :smile:

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Here are a couple of images I took when I went to London recently:

First a HDR Shot of the London Skyline
ShardView.jpg

And a picture of the Shard.
Post-Processing-Shard-(1-of-1).jpg

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Taken last night..

WP_20130821_007.jpg

Tup3x

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The updated Pro Shot app is quite nice too. It's hard to pick between it and Nokia's camera app.
ikZBnl3y54bEq.jpg

ibnDO77vSX7WqU.jpg

Last edited:

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I had to crank up the Exposure value to the maximal 3.0 to get natural colours of the buildings, otherwise it would be very dark and ugly. Captured with Nokia Pro Cam on Nokia Lumia 920 :).

P.S.: I forgot to mention where this is, Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, the Congress Square, and in the background on the hill is the Ljubljana Castle.

wp20130822102311pro.jpg

Last edited:

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
tree after amber update.. =)

Low light photos are better with the new algorithms, I hope now nokia makes it better for daylight photos.. this is the picture while saving:

wp_ss_20130822_0013.jpg

wp_ss_20130822_0014.jpg

and this is after saved..

although the 1st photo is reaaaally good, with a nice focus and perfectly detailed! much more than portico, I just wish now they fix this ''green'' hue =p

Last edited:

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andre!

It is not a bug. I'm sure you mean thing that happens when you view photo from that small preview image top left corner. It momentarily shows image how camera sensor saw it before software added post processing in to it. If photos would be saved like it appeared on your screen before you take shot, those would look completely bad. What you see momentarily is RAW image snapshot straight from sensor without any post processing. This phenomenon is best seen when you are shooting in very low light and then look in to that preview image and you see how photo is momentarily filled with noise before post processing cleans it out. You see that same noise from screen before shot and that image in your screen is actually RAW image your camera sees before any post processing.

Screens pixel density is over 300ppi and it hides all noise from those RAW images and making them look sharper but those would contain very much noise in them. Post processing ads colour corrections and noise reduction which makes photos look different compared what you see from screen before shot. If you go straight to camera roll, you see processed images without that shift in colours.
Image doesn't look like in real life from your screen before shot by the way. Try this out comparing colours from what you see from screen before shot and look how it is in reality. Then take shot and look how colours are after processing. Yes, those are correct after that most of a time.

Sensors in phones camera are very small and that means more noise and therefore more post processing, which leads to poorer image quality. Sensors in actual cameras are very big compared to phones and those big sensors leads to low noise, accurate colours and less processing needed which means high image quality.

Shift between preview image and processed image depends completely how good lightning conditions shot is taken. In good sunlight there is quite little need for software to correct it. In those conditions you see almost no shift between preview and processed image, since very little processing is applied. Low light conditions needs lots of noise reduction and colour correction, meaning noticeable shift between preview and processed image.

Hope this helped :smile:

Hi! thanks for your nice feedback and answer! Yeah! it really seems that in low light shots that ''hue'' actually helps the image, making it less noisy and more clearer, I just wish that didn't happen while taking daylight photos, but I'm glad to hear and read that it is normal and a software update shall happen to fix that, thanks a lot for your description!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
tree after amber update.. =)

Low light photos are better with the new algorithms, I hope now nokia makes it better for daylight photos.. this is the picture while saving:

and this is after saved..

although the 1st photo is reaaaally good, with a nice focus and perfectly detailed! much more than portico, I just wish now they fix this ''green'' hue =p

This is covered in my photo guide (link in my sig):

[tip]If you are seeing pictures that look perfectly sharp when you're focusing on a subject and after the picture is taken, everything seems to blur it's because Windows Phone saves a low-res preview of your image for you to zoom into and look around. It's low-res in order to keep the performance high, but unfortunately this means that you're seeing a lower quality, more blurred image than the picture you just took really is. If you want to view your photo in its true quality you can either view your pictures on a PC monitor or install the HD Photo Viewer app.[/tip]

After the picture is taken you're looking at a lower resolution of the file. What is actually captured is ever so slightly different (and much sharper) than the image you pan and zoom around on the phone.

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Dog1.jpg

Dog3.jpg

Dog4.jpg

Dog2.jpg

I was at PetSmart yesterday and took these pic's. The most amazing thing is they were just as happy, getting along, and seem to enjoy themselves. My dogs would have had a WAR going on!

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to L920, just 2 days since i've got my hands on this beauty. Is there any thread or link for photography tips using Nokia ProCam or default camera on L920? I sometimes get awesome pics and sometimes they are just about average. I would appreciate if you guys can share you suggestions. A tutorial for ProCam and low light photography would be great.

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Awesome link. Recently moved from L720 to L920. Massive change in my approach to casual photography. Phot quality has improved significanlty but I had to adjust my photography technique because of the weight. In 720 i used to take 90% of the photos with just one hand, can do that anymore with this. But, added weight somehow helps in stabilizing the phone.
The link however is a bit more general. I'm looking for something ProCam specific. like can anyone explain what is it the second orbit from the outside does in the procam? It has3 values : auto,medium,infinity.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Awesome link. Recently moved from L720 to L920. Massive change in my approach to casual photography. Phot quality has improved significanlty but I had to adjust my photography technique because of the weight. In 720 i used to take 90% of the photos with just one hand, can do that anymore with this. But, added weight somehow helps in stabilizing the phone.
The link however is a bit more general. I'm looking for something ProCam specific. like can anyone explain what is it the second orbit from the outside does in the procam? It has3 values : auto,medium,infinity.

I will be adding a Pro Cam specific section shortly. Hope that helps!

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to L920, just 2 days since i've got my hands on this beauty. Is there any thread or link for photography tips using Nokia ProCam or default camera on L920? I sometimes get awesome pics and sometimes they are just about average. I would appreciate if you guys can share you suggestions. A tutorial for ProCam and low light photography would be great.

I have been investigating low light performance after Amber update and it seems that new software handles noise up to 800 ISO pretty well. After that image quality starts to degrade noticeably. I took tons of sample shot with different shutter speeds and 1/10 shutter speed seems to be where my photo was always sharp when shooting hand held.

My advice is to set shutter speed manually to 1/10 and leave ISO to auto. That way you get lowest possible ISO on given exposure and photos look sharp. You need to keep eye on ISO value since you don't want it go over 800. If it does either slow down shutter speed or use flash. I also noticed that ISO 200 gave me better *crisp* look to images compared to ISO 100.
If light is good enough to allow faster shutter speeds i recommend locking ISO to 200 and leave shutter speed to auto.

Here is few sample shots i took today.

ISO 125 - 1/10s
WP_20130822_21_15_44_Pro.jpg

ISO 500 - 1/8s
WP_20130822_21_27_17_Pro.jpg

ISO 640 - 1/8s
WP_20130822_21_32_03_Pro.jpg

ISO 160 - 1/13s
WP_20130822_22_10_24_Pro.jpg

ISO 800 - 1/10
WP_20130822_22_19_24_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's been a while since I posted a photo so here goes...

BTW..how come I can't insert and image from my computer anymore? The ok/cancel button is only visible on images inserted via url.

Attachments

• WP_20130722_001.jpg
    WP_20130722_001.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 15
  • WP_20130803_009.jpg
    WP_20130803_009.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 6
  • WP_20130803_010.jpg
    WP_20130803_010.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 9

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just played with the manual settings in pro cam for this shot. Not sure what it is about it. but I'm just in love with this shot.

WP_20130822_20_43_14_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross