Post any official updates from Verizon or Microsoft about the Icon

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is the text of a letter I just mailed to Verizon:
I am the owner of a Nokia Icon, model 929, phone since the first day of its release in the Spring of 2014. Although I have been extremely satisfied with this handset, I am disappointed with Verizon for its failure to date to provide the long available Windows Phone 8.1 update and Cyan firmware update. Other Nokia phones by competing carriers, including the nearly identical 930 model, have had these updates for many months. In fact, the next generation of firmware is nearing release soon, which will render my phone two versions out of date.
I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. I?m concerned because I?m missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, I?m very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I?m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don?t hear anything, I?ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.

No offense. I just want to point out that this is not a thread for posting grievances. There are already a couple threads for that.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/314330-beginning-q4.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/316510-official-8-1-denim-icon.html

So please, go there if you want to complain or rant. This thread is for any official updates from Verizon or Microsoft.

Thanks.

nicktina

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I was afraid to do the developer preview but so glad I did. Works perfect. Home page more beautiful than ever. Cortana has been very helpful and I'm enjoying Swype on my keyboard. I feel so much better hearing the Microsoft store is encouraging people to do it. I also don't feel as anxious and irritated with this delay. Looking forward to denim, but more at peace with my phone. Thanks for keeping this thread on task with specific info so I can keep up. Very happy 😊

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
some more official word from MS mentioning the Icon and Denim this time:

Lumia 830, 930, 1520 and Icon will automatically get the new Lumia Camera 5 application with the Lumia Denim software update. Lumia Camera Classic represents the existing camera (formerly known as Nokia Camera, now Lumia Camera 4). This application lets you revert back to the predecessor version. Go to Store to download and install.

Microsoft Mobile Devices

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Icon Denim update scheduled for early 2015 | Windows Central

joebelfiore
?@joebelfiore Happy Holidays WP users on Verizon! The 928 and 922 updates (WP8.1 + Denim) go live today and the ICON is on deck for early 2015.

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/545978520317341696

We also recognize that many of you on Verizon who have the Lumia Icon are anxious to hear about updates for your Windows Phone. Today we are confirming that the Lumia Icon will receive the upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 in early 2015. This upgrade will also be the Lumia Denim update!

Verizon announces Windows Phone 8.1 upgrades for Lumia 822 and Lumia 928

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria