Power Settings for Screen Display aren't working

yogi27

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm an old guy and not too skilled with these technicalities that go wrong with Win10 Home. I'm having a friend come down and look at my Power Setting Display problem. I really appreciate all the posts from you and others. Great forum and seems to have a lot of great members. Thanks again for trying to find a resolution.:unhappy:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm an old guy and not too skilled with these technicalities that go wrong with Win10 Home. I'm having a friend come down and look at my Power Setting Display problem. I really appreciate all the posts from you and others. Great forum and seems to have a lot of great members. Thanks again for trying to find a resolution.:unhappy:
I'm a old guy also! I'm 78! It's good that you have a friend to help you. I agree 100% about this forum having a lot of great members. I enjoy learning new things and trying to remember old things that I learned from others; and then passing them forward. Good luck and post back with what your friend finds!:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
10-10 Buddy:wink: For you non CB Radio users (10-10 Transmission Completed, Standing By (you'll be listening) Been awhile sense I've heard these!:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @Elky I'm out of suggestions. I suppose the next step would be a clean install. If if pursues after that, I would have to assume it's hardware related.:wink:
Good luck and happy computering . Computers will cause you to swear and lose your religion!:wink:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi @Elky I'm out of suggestions. I suppose the next step would be a clean install. If if pursues after that, I would have to assume it's hardware related.:wink:
Good luck and happy computering . Computers will cause you to swear and lose your religion!:wink:

Yep looks like a clean install is inevitable, we'll live with it for now as I'm not into going that route at the moment especially if that doesn't resolve... Wondering about the hardware myself yet finding it too coincidental this issue appeared right after AU.

Anyhoo, back at ya holdum with the happy computing, and it's too late for the religion part if my cuss count means anything LOL.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
HI! I'm always on my stump preaching about learning how to use a 3rd party back up program. I use Macrium Reflect Free. When I have a issue that I can't solve, I restore my PC to a time when every thing was working like I wanted it to. It will restore back exactly like it was the day I created the image.If a update created my issue, I'll know that's what caused my problem. I use to be able to skip the update causing problems; but with W10, you can delay the updates, but you can't skip them. I don't like that. Microsoft kept up dating my HP printer. I can stop that and I did. Maybe there is a patch waiting in the future to solve your problem. Anyway good luck with your issue. Hoping some one has a solution and you don't have to do a clean install. They are a lot of work, but it's kind a nice to have a fresh PC once in awhile! See you around the forum!

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yogi27 and Elky64, you guys both turned off your screen-savers, right?

Just checking, because these can completely hose a power scheme, and I had asked about this at one point, and didn't see a response.

There's some truth to holdum333's comment. I do regular backups too, at least monthly anyway, more for data protection, but it's handy for feature issues too, in some cases. I had a problem with my Edge Session restore (I posted a thread here somewhere, met with a bunch of head-scratching too), but no amount of restores would fix it. Turns out, it was a combined OS/Live space issue, which makes sense. The Live issue got fixed over time, and the OS change came in at AU, so my session restore finally works again, and I'm mostly using Edge now (not for these forums though too many bugs loading and such). No amount of restores, an in-place-upgrade (I did this twice actually), and various other attempts would fix it. When it started happening on multiple machines, I ran it under a debugger, and realized what was happening, and that I just had to wait, for everything to get fixed (I got really good at Chrome plug-ins in the meantime ;-]).

I'm an old-ish Win guy too, since before the Win286/386 and WinNT3.0 days, and I appreciate the new features and security of Win10, but boy has it gotten hard to debug things, when they go wrong, even as a former developer...

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
No screensaver for me PGrey, haven't used one for a long time and was just for testing purposes only.

I keep my data backed as well using various media (mostly ext. HD's) with most of my computers, laptops included, running a secondary HD housing just that, my personal data. I'm sure you meant imaging of the OS as well and truthfully, throughout all my years it never has been a real necessity, IMO though W10 changed all that.

One saviour of mine HAS been System Restore, was batting a good 95% success rate but that appears to be dwindling. Since installing W10 (public release) I’ve only had to use the rollback option twice, on this machine and my work PC, both failed to have their issues resolved even though everything was hunky dory just prior, or in other words, AU messed up even the previous version of the OS where these problems we are now having, were not present… Ran the beta release of W10 on a couple machine in 10’s early stages with great results, even a ten year old laptop had no problems so had high hopes, fell apart for me though when it entered the public stage.

For various reasons I depend on Firefox for my browsing needs, use it along with uBlock Origin mainly to speed up this site lol, without it load time here were atrocious. IE has always been a little flaky for me in the stability department, and really really don’t like Edge at all, too much of a clunky feel.

Viruses or malicious content… I know many may find this hard to believe but I can count on two hands, but not necessarily all 8 fingers/2 thumbs, how many times I’ve had the like infiltrates my devices, and we are going back to 1987, of course it wasn’t too prevalent then. Point being, highly doubt any of my issues of late have anything to do with a bug that has crept in from an outside source and has more to do the Windows OS itself.

No developer here but do give it an honest try from time to time, as a lonely HD Mechanic I’ve pondered bringing in the big guns, a 20lb sledge haahaha. I’m sure we’d see some real results then which would solve my problems once and for all LOL... I know the image is unrelated for most but was taken with a Lumia 830 running WP8.1, this is my stress relief from the computing world ;).

Attachments

• WP_20161018_06_07_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161018_06_07_23_Pro.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! And this thread lives on. I have given it my best shot, but I will continue to monitor this thread, and hope I learn some thing new! These are my thoughts tonight.
If you haven't fully learned the benefits of how to use a 3rd party image program; then you are really losing out. I'm fearless knowing I can restore my PC back exactly like it was the day I created the image. Nothing Microsoft or malware can think up scares this old country boy. I have been there and done it.LMAO. The stress relief from the computer world is having a image you can restore to.:wink:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi! And this thread lives on. I have given it my best shot, but I will continue to monitor this thread, and hope I learn some thing new! These are my thoughts tonight.
If you haven't fully learned the benefits of how to use a 3rd party image program; then you are really losing out. I'm fearless knowing I can restore my PC back exactly like it was the day I created the image. Nothing Microsoft or malware can think up scares this old country boy. I have been there and done it.LMAO. The stress relief from the computer world is having a image you can restore to.:wink:

Yes holdum that appears to be the wave of the future, with Windows. Hate be a downer here but after going through many trials a tribulations upgrading/installing/updating 11+ machines to W10, I think it is time LOL. On the flip side, the other platforms (iOS/Mac OS/Android/Linux) have steadily improved being rock solid for me (past 3 years), sure we've had the occasional glitch but for the most part they've been easily and quickly rectified. As far as I am concerned, Windows reliability index has dropped considerably with the inception of ten, going by my own experiences here, just don't see it any other way especially after having three Windows phones and seeing firsthand how that has played out.

One thing that seems apparent w/10 for PCs is the lack of generic drivers, if what I experienced is any indication MS decided to forgo providing that service for the most part. In the past these drivers would provide enough leeway to get one over the hump (successful install) so final tweaking could be done later, now it appears Windows either refuses to install or disables some crucial component that could make a resolve nearly impossible especially if there is only one PC to work with, thankfully I have an endless supply (hehe) of sorts but doesn't make it any easier.

Like everything nowadays we keep plugging away and sooner or later it'll get sorted but sadly, it's the latter that usually prevails.

warewolve

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
just checking in im new here, has there been any headway on this issue. im having similar problems but reversed my computer wont stop going to sleep after 1 min. it wont let me change the intervals

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
just checking in im new here, has there been any headway on this issue. im having similar problems but reversed my computer wont stop going to sleep after 1 min. it wont let me change the intervals
Hi Have you considered a in-place repair?
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.
How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
In place repair might work, it's quite a bit of work though, and you (ideally) need to build a fairly current image.

Logging as a different user (I have a backup local Admin, for example) might allow you to change this too, or possibly a remote connection (which typically prevents sleep entirely).

Your computer shouldn't go to sleep while you're interacting with it, trying to change the interval, what exactly happens when you try to change the setting? Some more info would be helpful here.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @PGrey! I agree a in-place takes a long time. I have done 3 and it takes 2hours+. Not something to take lightly. Creating a back up image is always highly recommended before doing any major changes. I use a 3rd party image program called Macrium Reflect Free.
Team work is good!:wink: I have my Toshiba set to never sleep!:grin: I personally think it's a bad feature!

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, I keep backups as well, I like (or at least I used to like) Acronis, since I can do an image restore or a file/folder.
The newer versions have gotten pretty ungainly with Win10 though, permissions issues constantly, so I'm looking around. I like Macrium, for what it is, I've used it to upgrade machines quite a few times, it's really well implemented, particularly for the free version.

I turn off display/HDD at 10, sleep at 25, and hibernate at 24hrs, works for me, but I think everyone is a bit different in what they want here.

I'm curious to see what the last poster has to say, about it not letting him change the value.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion