prepaid app card question

Embiggens

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I got myself a titan recently and just received my $25 prepaid app card. I was hoping to use this to handle the bulk of a $30 purchase of Navigon USA. However, it doesn't seem like I can purchase the app in 2 steps ($25 from the card, then $5 using my normal payment method)- I get stopped after applying my prepaid card with what is basically an 'insufficient funds error'. Anybody know if there's a trick to doing this? Thanks.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to prepaid.citi.com/uswindowsphone and registered my account. This info is from the Card Tips section:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making purchases: Choose "credit" (not debit) when checking out. (It doesn't make sense since you're using a debit card, but that's the way the processing network works.) Also, you don't need a PIN to complete purchases.

Avoiding "cash equivalent" transactions: Sorry, but you cannot use your card for cash equivalency transactions (e.g. ATMs, Western Union).

Spending up to your limit: Remember... your card does not offer you a line of credit. You can only spend up to your available balance.

Purchasing gasoline: For security reasons, your card will be declined if you try to purchase gas "at the pump." To complete your transaction, just ask the service station attendant to swipe your card.

Using your card at restaurants: Sounds crazy, but restaurants may temporarily "authorize" your card for 20% more than the purchase amount. They do this to cover gratuity. Make sure you have enough funds in your account to cover the authorized amount.

"Splitting" Payments: If your purchase amount is more than the amount available on your debit card, you can usually supplement with another form of payment (cash, check, or other card).

Make sure the merchant allows split payments
Use your debit card as the first form of payment (specifically tell the cashier the exact amount to deduct from your debit card)

Use a supplemental form of payment to cover the remaining purchase amount
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like you can use that $25 dollars at any place that accepts Visa. You just gotta make sure to use it as credit. I'm thinking I might purchase Navigon with my regular card and use that $25 for more Christmas gifts for the fam.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I also tried calling the help line but I've been on hold for roughly 10 minutes (and counting). I was going to ask if there was a way to add money to the card but I'm thinking it'll be easier to do what I suggested above.

Embiggens

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks both for the replies. duvi, no go no matter where I try... I also considered trying to add value but it does say on the back "not reloadable" or something of that sort. Fig 8, I may try what you're saying as well.

Oh well, it would have been nice to defray most of this cost.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Wait a minute, you're saying this is the same as a Visa gift card and not just good for windows phone apps?!

According to the Card Tips section it sounds like we can use it for anything we want. I'm going to try it at Target tomorrow and see what happens.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I was actually coming back in here to say that... I noticed it was a Visa card and didn't check Microsoft's site, but it looks like it's accepted anyways Visa is.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it at Guitar Center and WalMart. Declined both times. :(

So why does the Card Tips list all that stuff about using it at a restaurant and for gas if I can't actually do it?!?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to try it one more time at the self check so I don't look like a complete fool if it gets declined. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro