Processor power management windows 8.1?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone with a surface pro running 8.1 able to change the minimum and max processor state? For some reason I can't find that setting. I just noticed my processor is running at the full 1.7ghz. The modification really helped my battery life before

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well. i can go into the battery power profiles from the system tray, and then i can view advanced options, but when i click porcessor power management, i only see the option for system cooling policy. The min/max setting is gone!

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Go to the desktop control panel. Then search "power options". Then click on your enabled power plan and change advanced settings. Then click "change settings that are currently unavailable" then click on processor power management, and finally choose the max level for battery and or plugged in. I have mine set to 20% max, but it doesn't feel slow at all.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Go to the desktop control panel. Then search "power options". Then click on your enabled power plan and change advanced settings. Then click "change settings that are currently unavailable" then click on processor power management, and finally choose the max level for battery and or plugged in. I have mine set to 20% max, but it doesn't feel slow at all.

I've checked there. it's still not there

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 11

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

works on my Pro 2, excellent thanks!! Just adjusted to try out 50% max. Good suggestion

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ughh, yea I had done this a long time ago, and my battery life went up by like 50%. Now the setting is gone. And from what I can tell under task manager. It's not downclocking. So something weird is going on for me

ERFrizki

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
it just recently happened to me too.
i can't control minimum/maximum processor speed unlike before.

i wonder why is this happening...

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
it just recently happened to me too.
i can't control minimum/maximum processor speed unlike before.

i wonder why is this happening...

I figured it out, it's a bad registry setting or something that broke it. I did a refresh which brought it back. Unfortunately it downgraded me to 8.0 and then i had to update to 8.1. In the process I lost all my installed apps :'( All files were still intact though

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've never had this option...ever. Refreshed, got a 256GB Model (passed my 128 model down), no setting and even after 8.1, still not there.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've never had this option...ever. Refreshed, got a 256GB Model (passed my 128 model down), no setting and even after 8.1, still not there.

That's odd. Yea, i dunno what's up with the setting and why it randomly dissapears/appears for certain people. But do you have a 256 SP2? If so, don't worry about it! Your battery is already better than anything we can achieve with SP1 settings haha

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
That's odd. Yea, i dunno what's up with the setting and why it randomly dissapears/appears for certain people. But do you have a 256 SP2? If so, don't worry about it! Your battery is already better than anything we can achieve with SP1 settings haha

I've got the original Surface Pro (not 2) with 256GB...they still offer them on the Microsoft Store. :)

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The processor min and max is disabled if you have Hyper-V turned on. Hyper-V is automatically turned on if you install Visual Studio 2013 with Windows Phone SDK.

With Hyper-V on, the CPU is always running at full speed. I removed Hyper-V using Add/Remove features and my CPU is back running at slower speed.

John

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The processor min and max is disabled if you have Hyper-V turned on. Hyper-V is automatically turned on if you install Visual Studio 2013 with Windows Phone SDK.

With Hyper-V on, the CPU is always running at full speed. I removed Hyper-V using Add/Remove features and my CPU is back running at slower speed.

John

I don't have it anymore, but in case I want to download VS 2013 with WP SDK, can I turn off hyperV and still use VS?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

Again, as I said in your other thread, I think you're incorrect here. It's a reporting issue, not that the CPU is constantly at max speed.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Again, as I said in your other thread, I think you're incorrect here. It's a reporting issue, not that the CPU is constantly at max speed.

I don't think so, when I noticed that I lost my min/max setting, i know for sure that the last time I changed it was to 75%. After I noticed that the setting was gone, I checked task manager, and saw the CPU was hovering around 1.2-1.7ghz. Now that I have the setting back to 75%, it idles at 0.78Ghz.

fosormic

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

John

Disabling Hyper-V did the trick for me, thanks John. Yes you can use VS without Hyper-V but you will not be able to use the device emulators (Windows Phone or Windows RT emulation).

I agree that Performance Explorer does show an incorrect CPU speed and that CPU-Z is more accurate. After having "uncovered" this setting, I throttled my cpu to 75% max and CPU-Z keeps reporting as usual, but now Performance Explorer shows the CPU at 70% or so - constant. So, at least its inaccuracy is constant.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4