ProShot camera app.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm fighting tooth and nail to get this.

Honestly, the *reason* I bought my first Windows Phone, an LG Optimus 7, was because of the camera button launch feature. Without that, I would have never gone Windows Phone, and without Windows Phone I would have never made ProShot.

Understood
I know it's an old story and an ongoing battle.

Pretty sure there isn't anyone who wants the feature more than yourself.
Still a user and still pleased with PS on 2 phones!

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
A simple question:
why is not possible to configure Scene (backlit,sport,...) and AF(hyperfocal,full,...) modes with Proshot ?

(Nokia, with official docs, shows us that it should be possible:
h**p://developer.nokia.com/resources/library/Lumia/imaging/advanced-photo-capturing.html
h**p://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA138457
and also the default wp camera app permits to configure Scene modes at least)

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
A simple question:
why is not possible to configure Scene (backlit,sport,...) and AF(hyperfocal,full,...) modes with Proshot ?

(Nokia, with official docs, shows us that it should be possible:
h**p://developer.nokia.com/resources/library/Lumia/imaging/advanced-photo-capturing.html
h**p://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA138457
and also the default wp camera app permits to configure Scene modes at least)

I'd be glad to answer!

For AF modes: though exposed by the API, most hardware doesn't properly handle these settings. MF, AF, Macro AF, and Infinity AF are all supported by ProShot, but, for example, Infinity AF just doesn't work on the Lumia 1020 and quite a few other devices. It won't focus to infinity, but to somewhere ~10ft beyond the camera. This is something that can only be fixed on the firmware level. The reason why "full" AF is not included is because it works just the same as the default AF. Furthermore, the hyperfocal setting doesn't work on any camera I tested, and it's easier to just use MF and set focus to 100%. Finally, there was no way to sensibly include 5 AF mode choices into the current Focus Dial area. I want to keep the UI as simple to use as possible, without too much screen clutter.

For Scene modes: Scene modes were sooo busted on so much hardware back when WP8 launched that they fell far down on the priority list and I focused on other things such as filters, HDR, timelapse, etc. It's something that I want to revisit now that most WP phones at least have GDR2 (which is where most of the camera bugs were fixed). With every feature I add to ProShot, I try to be very careful about where I add it to the UI. A million buttons on the viewfinder makes it hard to compose your image, and digging deeper than one level in a menu is annoying. The new UI I'm working on hopes to address some usability issues such as this, all while reducing clutter, and hopefully adding new features such as scene modes.

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed answer :)
I confirm that Infinity & Hyperfocal AF don't function well on my 920 with Portico

Only last question: I have a 920 with Portico/GDR1 and I can't see Macro AF. I read in the proshot changelog that it appears only with GDR2/Amber. Why not with Portico ? (I tested Macro AF with other camera apps and seems to be function well)

PS I want continue to use Portico on my 920 because is the best firmware for quality shots (no postprocessing bug)

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed answer :)
I confirm that Infinity & Hyperfocal AF don't function well on my 920 with Portico

Only last question: I have a 920 with Portico/GDR1 and I can't see Macro AF. I read in the proshot changelog that it appears only with GDR2/Amber. Why not with Portico ? (I tested Macro AF with other camera apps and seems to be function well)

PS I want continue to use Portico on my 920 because is the best firmware for quality shots (no postprocessing bug)

There were so many camera bugs and inconsistent issues with GDR1, it was impossible to test them all, so a few features just required GDR2. I know what you mean about the post-processing, Nokia went overboard with their algorithms. The yellow tint is not *too* bad with GDR3, thought it's still there.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
On the capture screen there are buttons for macro, AF, and another one which I am assuming is landscape/scenery mode - is this correct?

I took some pictures of scenery using the landscape mode button and they all came out quite blurry for some reason. Was there something else I had to do or should I just stick to AF?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On the capture screen there are buttons for macro, AF, and another one which I am assuming is landscape/scenery mode - is this correct?

I took some pictures of scenery using the landscape mode button and they all came out quite blurry for some reason. Was there something else I had to do or should I just stick to AF?

The top option is for setting focus to infinity. It seems like it's not working properly on quite a few devices. It's nothing I can fix though, it's the hardware not properly handling the request to focus to infinity (the option seems to work fine on my 521, but not on my 1020). I may just have to remove the option :/

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames, I have purchased your not so popular app about a month ago.:devil: I have not tried the timelapse feature yet and I want to test it next weekend (wanting to buy a new SD card).
I can't see an option from the app to create a video out of the timelapse photos. Do you have plans to add this feature ala Timelapse Pro app?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames, I have purchased your not so popular app about a month ago.:devil: I have not tried the timelapse feature yet and I want to test it next weekend (wanting to buy a new SD card).
I can't see an option from the app to create a video out of the timelapse photos. Do you have plans to add this feature ala Timelapse Pro app?

No plans at the moment I'm afraid. The current focus is to make the best photography experience possible, specifically make a better UI, UX, as well as minimizing shot-to-shot times. Timelapse is an area I'd like to develop further -- big plans are on the to-do list, but I don't know when I'd be able to add those. Just a word of caution, timelapse settings are *very* dependent on hardware. I put up a crude hardware chart and some additional info on it here: http://www.riseupgames.com/ProShot/timelapse. Please be aware that longer shutter speeds require longer processing times, so that will also affect the interval if you're doing timelapses at night.

It may be possible to eek some better shot-to-shot times out of these devices for timelapse, it's something I'm working really hard on for the upcoming super-mega-huge release. Fingers crossed on that, too.

coltopi003

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
@RisenUpGames........ Can you make the start screen tiles transparent when set to medium size? I've updated my L720 to WP8.1 recently and it would be nice to see it blend with my background. :)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@RisenUpGames........ Can you make the start screen tiles transparent when set to medium size? I've updated my L720 to WP8.1 recently and it would be nice to see it blend with my background. :)

I'll definitely look into it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to include 8.1-specific features in the next major release, but this app is still a work in progress, and I am far from finished ;)

draco76x

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Just bought the apps for my L1020, still exploring & get used to the Proshot UI setting layout as already get use to Nokia Camera Pro layout.

@RisenUpGames, looking forward to your next update especially on WP8.1 so that we can have the best photography experience on our phone & user friendly access UI. :excited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ProShot v3.7 submitted to the store (not the big one just yet :p)

Changelog:
+ Added fast app resume
+ Fixed AF issue with some devices
+ Updated Nokia Imaging SDK
+ Improved single-exposure HDR

The big thing for me was getting fast app resume working, it's something that I haven't been able to figure out for the longest time (legacy code from GDR1 made debugging the issues very confusing).

ProShot: NEXT news
Really happy with how it's coming along, everything runs a lot smoother on the high-res 1st gen devices (Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1020, HTC 8X, etc), while consuming a lot less RAM (which is great for any device with 512MB RAM). If you've ever experienced a random crash with ProShot, it's because the app hit the RAM limit, so the big update goes a long way in improving this, if not totally eliminate the problem all together.

The UI re-design is coming along well, too - still going through a couple of ideas to see which feel the best, but it's all a step in the right direction. It borrows some things from the current version, while adding new stuff to make the UX a lot more fluid. Also, I'm finally adding the long-awaited, often-requested(!).... on-screen camera button :p

wp_ss_20140505_0001.jpg

neitin

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the app, it is awesome, thank you, I am using Lumia 1520 and can't select 16:9 by default I have 1:1, could someone please help, also the resolution max is 10MP why not more for Lumia 1520

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the app, it is awesome, thank you, I am using Lumia 1520 and can't select 16:9 by default I have 1:1, could someone please help, also the resolution max is 10MP why not more for Lumia 1520

Go to the IMG panel, tap "size", and you will be able to select your desired resolution.

Similar to Nokia Camera, ProShot shoots a lower-res image, and then saves the high-res image to its local folder. This file can be exported from the ProShot camera roll, so you have easy access to the high-res image without needing to plug your phone into your PC (like with Nokia's app). Instead of only offering 5MP for the super-sampled photo, ProShot also offers 8MP and 10MP on the 1520, ICON, and 930, and also a 12MP option on the 1020. These lower res images are super-sampled from the original high-res image, so you still have great image quality, even at 8 or 10MP.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks quick response am unable to select 16:9 it doesn't accept my clicks

I think you're clicking on the legend for the menu, which doesn't do anything. It's just there to let the user know what the colored circles mean (red is 1:1, etc) instead of writing the aspect ratio in text for each resolution item in the list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb