Question for all you glossy white L900 owners, and general questions

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
How is the gloss finish holding up?

I'm particularly interested in those who don't use a case with this phone ( why would you right, show it off!)

Also, is it slippery to hold?

I have the option of picking one up at a really good price and may jump on it. I know the new phones just got released but honestly, I'm not being blown away by them and may just wait for the next wave of WP8 devices.

I figured I might switch to the Nokia ecosystem until then though as they are rock solid at supporting their devices. I currently use a Focus S which is a great phone but I do like the Nokia ecosystem that they provide.

Anyhoooo, comments please: difficult to hold and how is the finish holding up?

**EDIT - also, can someone confirm the network app from Nokia will allow for full APN editing so I can use data AND MMS on StraightTalk?

And is this a true pentaband phone for 3G? If I get it unlocked can I use it on say UK carriers? **

Sorry for all the questions folks but I know this excellent community will help me out with the answers. :)

Many thanks peeps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
OMG, you know I never even noticed that! **** that sounds totally racist, can I edit that?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the glossy white for a while. In my opinion it would have been more of a scratch magnet without the matte finish. That being said compared to my cyan Lumia it looks more the part of an elegant device than a toy. I should never have swapped my white Lumia in for a One X.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the glossy white for a while. In my opinion it would have been more of a scratch magnet without the matte finish. That being said compared to my cyan Lumia it looks more the part of an elegant device than a toy. I should never have swapped my white Lumia in for a One X.

I'm a bit confused by your statement, are you saying the matte or the gloss is more of a scratch magnet.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My white 900 is holding up well. I dropped it the other day on cement and it got some dings and scratches. It seems like the some of the color of the cement rubbed off on the 900 where it is dinged, but other than that, I've had no problems.

I don't find it very slippery. It stays in my hand pretty well.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the glossy white is more prone to getting scratches versus the matte finish on the magenta, cyan and black models. I just wish I would have kept the glossy white one that I did have as this was a device I turned in to get a One X which I ultimately hated and went with a Lumia 900 again.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the glossy white is more prone to getting scratches versus the matte finish on the magenta, cyan and black models. I just wish I would have kept the glossy white one that I did have as this was a device I turned in to get a One X which I ultimately hated and went with a Lumia 900 again.

I have to say I'm torn between the black and the white (the cyan is just the wrong shade of blue for me).

I got hands on with a white in an AT&T store today and thought it felt good in hand, they also had the black on display but with all the security crap tethered to it.

I want to try a different color from black for a change but am worried that ultimately it might be the wiser choice.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I liked the white, but I was worried about "hurting" it. With the matte finish on the cyan I'm not as nervous to leave it naked. Now, the black just goes with everything. I have a black Nokia case for it so I get black when I prefer it and blue (cyan) when I want to show it off some.

I wonder more and more though why I have a blue phone and not a black/white/gray phone. I didn't necessarily feel the white Lumia slip through my hand, but I could just see hairline scratches eventually showing up the longer I owned it and I didn't want to chance it. I think the black Lumia gives off the illusion that the display is floating. The white Lumia gives the device a refined look and the cyan and magenta Lumia phones make you stand out and be different.

For my personality - it's awfully "loud".

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have had a white L900 since it was available, and the only scratches or blemishes are on the chrome around the camera lens. I've dropped it (many times) on tile, cement, wood, and other surfaces and it looks like it did when I purchased it (again, minus the chrome on the rear). I have no case, and I don't think it needs one either. Scratching it is likely possible, and I've heard of folks doing it, but it shouldn't be any more or less prone to this than the matte finish would be.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, it was very informative. I actually think I'm leaning more towards the black now, much as I was wowed by the white I agree with you. Black just goes with everything and I am going to using the device naked (due the car cradle I use) so need it to resist mark as much as possible.

Cheers!

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Have had a white L900 since it was available, and the only scratches or blemishes are on the chrome around the camera lens. I've dropped it (many times) on tile, cement, wood, and other surfaces and it looks like it did when I purchased it (again, minus the chrome on the rear). I have no case, and I don't think it needs one either. Scratching it is likely possible, and I've heard of folks doing it, but it shouldn't be any more or less prone to this than the matte finish would be.

*Groan* Now you're just making me second guess myself again!

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had the glossy white Lumia for little over 3 months now, and it still looks like it just came out of the box. No signs of wear and tear, even after a couple drops! This thing is a beauty, to see and to hold.

last boy scout 151

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
StraightTalk

The glossy white has been no problem for my wife and I. No scratches, dings, or anything. And yes, the Nokia Setup App will let you change APN so you can use with StraightTalk. That's what I did! Our phones also show the 4G symbol. I know we are on ATT network, but don't know if we are actually getting 4G speed. Either way, phones work like a charm and for $45 bucks monthly, unlimited everything, and no contract, it's all good! And once we get the 7.8 upgrade (fingers crossed), this phone will still be as good, if not better, than the non Nokia WP8 options! In my opinion that is. This phone will surely tide you over until the next wave of WP8 phones or at least until this wave hits craigslist! Hope this helps! Good luck.

Last edited:

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I own the white glossy 900 for about 2 months now. It still looks new to me. Fingerprints & grease is not an issue as the glossy surface is easier to clean compared to a matte surface. I used to own a matte Trophy and it aged faster compared to my current 900. The new-ness of the 900 is more lasting. Cheers !

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the matte one difficult to clean then? I'd have thought it would be resistant to fingerprints unless you had very oily fingers or something?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb