Quitting Smoking with Patches, 4th Day In, Unusually Irritable

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
As background, it's already difficult because I personally don't want to quit--as in even knowing the facts I would still smoke--so I'm doing my best to remember I'm quitting smoking for my loved ones. But that's background and I'm digressing.

So I'm at the fourth day with a 21mg smoking cessation patch. The past three days I've been finding it manageable--the cravings, the self-talk--but it just happened now that I'm finding myself aware of being significantly irritable than the past three days. Someone commenting that I used a wrong color on a Word document (because [sarcasm]how dare anyone not know I'm color blind[/sarcasm]), my bus constantly stopping to drop off and pick up (because the bus and everything should work on my terms), and even ridiculous negative-meta-thoughts like maybe if I'm irritable enough to basically send everyone around me into crisis they'll tell me to just smoke.

This general core feeling of now wanting to control everything, and heaven help if the world doesn't conform to my distorted view of reality, doesn't surprise me now that I'm four days smoke-sober, especially since I'm on patches and not cold turkey, but the intensity of emotion is very strange to me. I figured this intensity of emotion would've come sooner.

So, is this normal to feel at this time? I want to continue doing this for my loved ones, even if I don't want it, but I'm not sure if this is normal, nor do I know how to explain what I'm feeling.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
When my wife and I were dating, she decided to stop smoking. She had a rough few weeks, but she did it. For her, patches and gum didn't work. She just had to quit cold turkey.

I can't offer you any advice, only the best of luck. It gets better! Keep posting here, if you wish. At the very least, having a place to record your thoughts and actions as you go through this may at least offer some emotional support as you quit.

Good luck!

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
When my wife and I were dating, she decided to stop smoking. She had a rough few weeks, but she did it. For her, patches and gum didn't work. She just had to quit cold turkey.

I can't offer you any advice, only the best of luck. It gets better! Keep posting here, if you wish. At the very least, having a place to record your thoughts and actions as you go through this may at least offer some emotional support as you quit.

Good luck!

Many thanks for that. You're certainly right that it gets better--I think.

I'm currently 7 days non-smoking, 4 days without nicotine. I certainly feel better in general, but can really hear the self-talk. Trying to remember it's for my loved ones, even if I personally don't want to quit. I don't know if it's hard; just really tempting.

I've gone through, like, 5 packs of Menthos, as an aside.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there! That's my story:
*Started in May 2009
*Quit in November 2012
- around 18months -
*Started in May 2014
*Quit in December 2014
- around 8 months and counting -

Both times I just quit smoking from day to day... 15-20 cigarettes previous day, and 0 the next one. No substitutes such as e-cigarette, patches or gums.

It's definitely worth to quit smoking, I can't describe how wonderful I feel :p

If you fail (hopefully not!), then you should read "Alen Carr - Easy way to quit smoking".

It's not a product placement. This book won't make you quit smoking, but it's definitely helpful when you're 100% sure about your decision to quit. :)

Good luck!

EDIT: I've been through hard times, first 3-4 weeks are awful, next 4 weeks are tough, but after 2 months everything starts to get better and better.

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm working on quiting myself... Been a smoker for 30+ years over a pack a day.. It's not easy! I've been trying to use this vapor/electronic thing...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I smoked for around 10 years. Quit (for good) in 2004, cold turkey. However, I did want to quit that time, and I pretty firmly believe that is crucial.

(Extra: got the flu IIRC and was, of course, still smoking. Had some terrible coughs and was reminded of a couple people I knew with asthma. Terrified me and my wife supported me in quitting.)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
OP (and Ed): yeah, the nicotine is obviously one form of the addiction, but as an example, I believe they say the time to be done with it is under 2 weeks to be done with the physical.

The mental is another - it's definitely a way that a smoker learns to cope with stress, or just to process his/her day. Unfortunately, it seems that in 'normal' society it's frowned to simply announce that you're taking a timeout to go outside and smell the flowers. :p So try to figure out a way to have some timeouts. I chewed gum like a boss for several years as well.

I've been done 11+ years and there's still a few moments, scenes in my mind, really, that I would a smoke during. In all reality, chewing on some hot ashy air would be revolting, but it's more the feeling of the moment I'm after.

Note: basically either pre-dawn or post sunset, maybe a cup of coffee on cool fall morning, on a country porch, mountains, just the quiet sounds of nature and a cigarette. Sorry, this is probably not helpful. :p

One thing to do also: take your money you would spend on smokes everyday and put it into a savings fund. My dad did that back in the 80's and it was still a ton of money after a year.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
PS The gobs of tar I started horking up a few months after quitting and that lasted for around a year. Just precious, I say. *barf*

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So, is this normal to feel at this time? I want to continue doing this for my loved ones, even if I don't want it, but I'm not sure if this is normal, nor do I know how to explain what I'm feeling.

I have never smoked a day in my life, so I'm probably not the best person to say anything, but I love psychology and it so happens that there's a reasoning behind every action we take..

The reason why you're feeling irritable is, because you no longer have that "safe place" to go to. Most people escape the harshness of the world using that "place". It can be eating, smoking, drinking, binge-watching sth, listening to music etc. You no longer have that, so you need to find sth else to replace it :)

My gf's father had to stop as well and he did, but he replaced that addiction, with an obsession for candy lol so in the end he has sth to grab when he's depressed or stressed

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm quitting too. I am into DAY 6 going cold turkey. The biggest problem, I enjoyed smoking. I am on edge every day, my normal breaks to get away from everything cant happen any more.

I'm in the office today and it''s driving me nuts...on edge.

I know after 3-4 days, now it's all psychological, most of the physical addiction in smoking is MOSTLY out of your system in 3-4 days but, the rest that will take weeks to get over is fully psychological addiction.

I was not worried about the physical side of smoking. I made my plan 3-4 weeks ago, planned for this day and set it in stone, 2 days before I cleaned out ANY record of smoking from my home (I dont smoke or ever have in my car or home, includes all outside ash trays, all butts, empty packs etc) and I took 5 days out work. As there is other smokers at work that I talk to, so I wanted to remove that factor.

One of the hardest things I have done in my life, when it's something I really did enjoy and that makes it much worse...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

There's nothing strange about what you're feeling. The physical effects are real and tough to get around. Smokers who quit just a few years ago can't relate to what's happening today because of the chemicals being used today. As for the loved ones, you'll know real quick how much they really love you. It's a painful litmus test that I hope you pass. It's not easy to deal with a totally psychotic individual who's Jonesing in the worst possible way. I tried (unsuccessfully) after my heart attack 4 years ago to go Cold Turkey. Let's just say Mr. Hyde was around a lot more than Dr. Jekyll. Don't feel bad if you stumble and fall. Learn from your mistakes and apply what you've learned the next time. I know it's easier said than done. Best of luck.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm quitting too. I am into DAY 6 going cold turkey. The biggest problem, I enjoyed smoking. I am on edge every day, my normal breaks to get away from everything cant happen any more.

I'm in the office today and it''s driving me nuts...on edge.

I know after 3-4 days, now it's all psychological, most of the physical addiction in smoking is MOSTLY out of your system in 3-4 days but, the rest that will take weeks to get over is fully psychological addiction.

I was not worried about the physical side of smoking. I made my plan 3-4 weeks ago, planned for this day and set it in stone, 2 days before I cleaned out ANY record of smoking from my home (I dont smoke or ever have in my car or home, includes all outside ash trays, all butts, empty packs etc) and I took 5 days out work. As there is other smokers at work that I talk to, so I wanted to remove that factor.

One of the hardest things I have done in my life, when it's something I really did enjoy and that makes it much worse...

All I can really say is hang in there. Days 4-7 once I was off patch and off cigarettes were the worse days for me when it came to cravings and general irritability. What's helped me is to let people know what's going on and when things are becoming too much. People don't have to accommodate to your withdrawal symptoms, nor should it be a blank check to do whatever you want or blow up whenever you want. After all, cigarettes or not, nobody is entitled to control anything but themselves.

That being said, I think you'll be surprised that being honest with what you're feeling during cessation, and letting people know what's going on before it becomes problematic, will usually make for accommodating and supportive company--more so than you think. Hopefully you'll feel a little gratitude, or love, in their small accommodations, and hopefully it'll make it a little easier.

Also, yeah it takes 3-4 days for there to be no nicotine in your system, but actually takes about 2-3 weeks for the symptoms of withdrawal to subside and eventually disappear. I'm on 2 weeks 4 days with no nicotine and while it's still hard since, like you, I don't really want to stop, it really does get easier. You're just at the peak of it, but it will get better.

Have you tried the KickSmoking app in the Windows Store? It's been helping me a bit by gamifying the journey with achievements, gives statistics (cigarettes avoided, money saved, etc.), money saving goals, and a craving timer. It's ad-supported, but you can buy it to remove ads and add a few ore achievements.

There's nothing strange about what you're feeling. The physical effects are real and tough to get around. Smokers who quit just a few years ago can't relate to what's happening today because of the chemicals being used today. As for the loved ones, you'll know real quick how much they really love you. It's a painful litmus test that I hope you pass. It's not easy to deal with a totally psychotic individual who's Jonesing in the worst possible way. I tried (unsuccessfully) after my heart attack 4 years ago to go Cold Turkey. Let's just say Mr. Hyde was around a lot more than Dr. Jekyll. Don't feel bad if you stumble and fall. Learn from your mistakes and apply what you've learned the next time. I know it's easier said than done. Best of luck.

Thanks!

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Only thing you need to stop is strong will. Patches, gums and etc are just money taking and can even make things worse. Once you have strong will to stop smoking, you'll never look back. It will be tough. It will be hard. You will have crisis. I even had crisis few years later. You just have to really want it, just throw away your cigs, and don't look back. Fight with your innerself, think of your family and think, if you could live wothout tobacco for 4 days, why couldn't you for 5? If you could 2 months, why not two months and 1 day?
Be strong. Be man. Leave that junk and help your family. We are with you.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, you know what made me want to stop? My father. One morning I was just wake up and wished to fire one and I walked by my dad, he is smoker from his teen years, and he was smelling so freaking bad of cigarete and was coughing I thought he will throw out his lungs. I was horrified that I could be father like that for my children. I don't want that for my loved ones. Do anyone wants? Think for yourself...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
All I can really say is hang in there. Days 4-7 once I was off patch and off cigarettes were the worse days for me when it came to cravings and general irritability. What's helped me is to let people know what's going on and when things are becoming too much. People don't have to accommodate to your withdrawal symptoms, nor should it be a blank check to do whatever you want or blow up whenever you want. After all, cigarettes or not, nobody is entitled to control anything but themselves.

That being said, I think you'll be surprised that being honest with what you're feeling during cessation, and letting people know what's going on before it becomes problematic, will usually make for accommodating and supportive company--more so than you think. Hopefully you'll feel a little gratitude, or love, in their small accommodations, and hopefully it'll make it a little easier.

Also, yeah it takes 3-4 days for there to be no nicotine in your system, but actually takes about 2-3 weeks for the symptoms of withdrawal to subside and eventually disappear. I'm on 2 weeks 4 days with no nicotine and while it's still hard since, like you, I don't really want to stop, it really does get easier. You're just at the peak of it, but it will get better.

Have you tried the KickSmoking app in the Windows Store? It's been helping me a bit by gamifying the journey with achievements, gives statistics (cigarettes avoided, money saved, etc.), money saving goals, and a craving timer. It's ad-supported, but you can buy it to remove ads and add a few ore achievements.

My wife knows I was quitting but, didn't tell her for 2 days after I started(incase I failed, so no gilt factor), and when she leaned about it she said "ahhhhh" because she said I looked very unhappy for the last 2 days...

My goal was clear, I had a plan, picked a date and going to make it happen. Stop 100% cold turkey, and so far so good, no cheating, or sneaking a quick one (bumming one of someone at work or something, as I removed that factor for a bit).

Day by day it is getting better but, there are moments through out the day where I could crack easy, I just need to be in the right place when those happen till a few weeks go by. I know when those things happen, if I am around one, I will ask for one. Let's just avoid that :)

I do feel myself getting very stressed and Irritable, I know as time goes by, this will fade. I have done homework for months and studied the affects of smoking and the process of the body when quitting. Trust me, I studied harder than I have done for any test so I know almost 99% what I was expecting. So far, almost right on target.

I have 1 week of this, so next weekend, I start on the treadmill and start working out. Taking the change from the lazy self to trying to be active.

One thing I have learned that I needed to do this to understand, I need to keep busy, the moment I stop and start thinking about it, it's all over....and the stress starts...

Still in the top worse things I have ever done in my life.... quitting something you really enjoy doing.

Only thing you need to stop is strong will. Patches, gums and etc are just money taking and can even make things worse..

Tried patches and gum before, about 2 weeks after doing it, I still wanted to smoke and I ended up going back to it.... I feel the only way I can do it is stuffer for a few days really bad.

Be strong. Be man. Leave that junk and help your family. We are with you.

Thanks !

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Good luck everybody here!

Like I said, I did it too, back in 04. Had tried before, but never because I wanted to - not that I didn't enjoy it, either.

Here's another thing I will share: I think it is easier to quit smoking than try to lose weight with diet/exercise. Quit smoking = don't do it at all. Diet = eat, but stop at a certain point, exercise, get up and torture yourself. :p Aargh.

DinCT: good idea on the treadmill, you want to get some natural endorphins and also some metabolism help to take the place of the nicotine. I should have done a better job when quitting years ago. Been struggling to get my weight under control now for awhile. If it ain't one thing...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Whoa...

Punched in 365 (days) * 11 (years) * 5.5 (probably rough average per pack over time) = >$22,000 since April 2004 NOT spent on cigarettes.

$22,000. Whoa...

Like I said, put that cash into yer piggy bank!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am now 2 months in and still taking it every 30 seconds at a time (Seriously).

I used "Champix" as I had used them before and they work well for me, they take away the craving and if you do smoke you don't get the hit so taking them over the two week withdrawal period makes sense, but that was six weeks ago I stopped taking them.

I have smoked for 45 years, and at times especially the last few years very heavily 40+ a day. I miss it, I enjoyed it, I love it BUT I know full well it is a very stupid thing to do and within days of stopping I could feel my heart rate dropping as it didn't have to work maybe 30% more to supply some oxygen rather than crap.

I also know I can never drink again as both times I have packed up in the past, when I have had a drink, hey presto is that a cigar or cigarette in my hand, so to avoid ever smoking again I am now a non drinker, seeing as I don't gamble as well its just so lucky I am absolutely devoted to the study of women :smile:

Otherwise my life would be painfully boring.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed a few pounds going on (My trousers suddenly don't need the belt I have used for years) so today ordered a Fitbit charge HR for me and one for the wife and the Fitbit scales so I can play with technology whilst I lose some weight and as I have SOOOOO much more money in the bank I can afford the toys anyway, my Surface Pro 3 was my first months present to myself for packing in.

Plus my eldest daughter is getting married next year, I want to look a bit slimmer for the wedding pictures and I suppose I had better think about giving her some pennies for a present and as long as I stay of the smokes I will be able to do that.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it's going well for you Bob, keep going. Let me know how you get on with the fitbit.. I'm considering one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb