[Real Users] My Lumia 640 Review

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
- The display is nice and crisp. Personally, I consider any display with more that 300ppi a bad design

Things I hate
- The limited glance screen is a big deal. I actually didn't know this to be even a thing, and only found out after I bought the phone. Well, nothing I can do about it now.
- The bezel is just too much. If you are gonna waste so much space, the absence of capacitive buttons is so much harder to justify.
- Touch sensitivity could be better. Double-tap-to-wake doesn't work as reliably as 520, and there's no option to change touch sensitivity.
- I don't know who to blame here, but TrueCaller does not show live caller id.
Overall, I'm very satisfied with my phone. I intend to keep it on WP8.1 for the foreseeable future.

Higher DPI to FHD does help as there is slight notice of pixels at the current DPI of the 640... However it is only noticeable if magnified such as with a drop of water. 4K however is a waste.

For a budget device, this is the first time for glance screen. I think the lack of weather is bearable considering this.
I agree the bezel is a little much.
As far as double tap to wake, the proximity sensor is the culprit. If covered with your hand, it will not wake. This is to prevent accidental wake in your pocket. It also takes a couple seconds after being uncovered to register. Once I realized this double tap to wake has been consistent to work.
Why WP 8.1 and not W10M when the official update is released? I noticed many good things in the preview and upon release bugs should be worked out.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
As far as double tap to wake, the proximity sensor is the culprit. If covered with your hand, it will not wake. This is to prevent accidental wake in your pocket. It also takes a couple seconds after being uncovered to register. Once I realized this double tap to wake has been consistent to work.
Why WP 8.1 and not W10M when the official update is released? I noticed many good things in the preview and upon release bugs should be worked out.
Thanks for the tip with double-tap-to-wake, I'll keep that in mind and see if my experience improves.
Regarding your question, I made a choice to sacrifice (some) functionality for aesthetics when I chose WP over Android. As of now, the way W10M looks and feels, it would be hypocritical of me to choose it over WP8.1. Basically I'm too drunk on WP8.1 to notice anything else(is that bad? I don't care :grin:).

Checkoff

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Such a long reviews, god. I'll put my thoughts in a short and clear maner.

Hardware

You all know the specs, great hardware for the price actually great hardware. The phone itself doesn't crack at all since its made out of plastic. I've got the black one so it matt, it's not slippery which I can't say for those colored ones, I've got the yellow 535 too, and yes, it's very easy to drop.

Camera

Off, no need to talk about. I compared my HDR photos with mu friends S4, and believe me, mine were way, way better. Manuall mode also comes in handy if you know how to use it properly. Flash is honestly camera's weakest link, even in-door you still can't see clearly.

Performance & battery

Very fast and fluid, doesn't crash or similar to that although this last update did screw things a bit, but yet, nothing that can't be fixed with a simple soft reset. And also, I noticed that my 640 in compare to my 535 has much, much better settings app, with all those sections and stuff.
Battery is amazing, it lasted for 2 days of constant camera and flash use. See pic below.

Overall I do not regret my buy, excellent phone indeed.

http://i.imgur.com/decHSdG.png

Uhm...that picture shows us....what exactly? That you have an estimated runtime for 2 days? Good to know ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254