Remote Desktop Scaling - How to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm constantly remoting into servers for my job. One of the biggest issues I have is remote desktop scaling. Everything is dreadfully small. If I set custom settings in RDC properties all it does is shrink the size of the full screen window - not change the scaling.

I tried using remote desktop connection manager and adjusted the display resolution there - it does the exact same thing. I saw someone on TechNet suggested using the Windows Store remote desktop app as it handles this more appropriately. That is not an option because my company blocks access to it.

Any ideas?

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I just change the resolution on the Surface book lower like 1920 x 1080.I use RDP with Juno Pulse to connect to my pc or servers. I change it back to 3000 x 2000 when I'm done.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Some are finding relief by using Remote Desktop Manager instead of Remote Desktop Connection. This can be found here:

Remote Desktop Connection Manager Download (RDCMan) 2.7 - 250 Hello - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I specified in my original post that I already tried this?

I just change the resolution on the Surface book lower like 1920 x 1080.I use RDP with Juno Pulse to connect to my pc or servers. I change it back to 3000 x 2000 when I'm done.

Thats a terrible workaround and its a damn shame that you have to do it. I go back and forth between my local computer and the VM all day, so i wont be "done" until I am done with work for the day.

No one else has a viable, permanent solution?

lewinr

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I think this solution should work for you without changing the resolution of your SB desktop:

1. Connect to the remote machine using Window's standard "Remote Desktop Connection" application but under Advanced -> Display tab choose a normal resolution like 1280x768.

2. Once you connect, click on the little icon (a screen with a sync symbol) in the uppermost lefthand corner of the window, where you find the options for maximize, minimize, etc. You'll see an option "zoom". Choose 200% for example. You'll find the right setting depending on your resolution and the resolution of the remote system.

michal64

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
remote desktop connection manager works fine, i use it all the time, no need to change resolution.

go to properties of the server you have there, Remote Desktop Settings > click the "Same as client area" option.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Unfortunately, native scaling depends on the host PC. Scaling is only officially supported on Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 and newer's version of Remote Desktop.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
remote desktop connection manager works fine, i use it all the time, no need to change resolution.

go to properties of the server you have there, Remote Desktop Settings > click the "Same as client area" option.

No, this does not work.

I was having the same issue and as a work around I found adjusting the display zoom addressed my issue. View attachment 120838

This is what I have had to resort to. The problem is that on server 2012, the zooming throws off where the desktop thinks the cursor is. I have found using the smart scaling option works best for that.

Hopefully they fix these issues.

michal64

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
sorry, i didnt replay sooner, i use remote desktop manager, what i forgot to mention is you need to uncheck display scaling

start > type remote desktop manager > right click, open file location, when you see the file, properties, Comparability tab, and uncheck Disable display scaling on high dpi settings

Alderran1

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Sarcastically you know what's funny? The microsoft remote desktop client for the mac works perfectly. Absolutely no scaling issue at all everything looks great on a 13" macbook with a retina display. Good job Satya we know you like supporting other platforms better than your own.

dd1234567

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Michael this worked once the properties were changed. Ive been on many forum and downloaded multiple suggestions but this is first to work.

Vorlox

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I found Remote Desktop Manager 2.7 hit or miss using that option.

What I did find is that Remote Desktop Manager 2.2 scales beautifully by default on my Srface Pro 4 and I have been using it for several months.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post the solution that worked very well for me. It's an older remote desktop client, but I have had no issues with it. Worth a shot if you are fed up with the scaling issues.

DeutydaBeast

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Sarcastically you know what's funny? The microsoft remote desktop client for the mac works perfectly. Absolutely no scaling issue at all everything looks great on a 13" macbook with a retina display. Good job Satya we know you like supporting other platforms better than your own.

This is probably due to retina display just being a nicer terminology for downscaling, or rendering at a higher resolution than the display actually pushes out, removing aliasing. The RDP session is probably just matching to your native display res and not using downscaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizpis