Samsung Ativ S - Windows Phone 8.1 Update - Developer Preview

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I turned off my phone and turned it back on. Bug's back. So, unless you have to, Don't turn off your phone. If anyone finds a fix for this, please advise. Thanks!

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i have an ativ s and everything works perfectly, my advice is that after getting 8.1 update, reset your phone from (settings-about-reset phone). this solves the lagging issue, camera issue,app crashing issue for me

jkunze

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
After a hardreset I noticed, that I can't change my ringtone. Somehow it's set to the default one by Samsung. Does anybody else noticed this problem?

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
To whom is experiencing the continous reset thing, what firmware are you using? the latest official fw that came together with GDR3?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This bug was preventing me from installing GDR3 from PfD. Any "rumors" if they fix it in 8.1?

They did, I did a factory reset yesterday and it booted up perfectly. Just be aware that the APN app will lose all the APN settings for every network, not sure why this happens but I used the Mobile+SIM settings to add the Internet and MMS APNs manually.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
After a hardreset I noticed, that I can't change my ringtone. Somehow it's set to the default one by Samsung. Does anybody else noticed this problem?

It's in the same place it's always been, settings > ringtones+sounds, top list selector is Ringtone.

jkunze

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry. I explained it wrong. I can change it under settings. But when I restart my device, it's changed back to the default one.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
To whom is experiencing the continous reset thing, what firmware are you using? the latest official fw that came together with GDR3?

No, it's a Dev Preview GDR3. The last update I got from Sammy was GDR2 like 2 Months ago. I imagine I'll get their Firmware sometime in the summer. It's a HONG KONG version ATIV S. Here's my firmware:
TABLET - wp_ss_20140415_0001.jpg

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I am having on my ativ s 8.1 update is that I cannot open ie11. It doesn't launch.. I've tried soft reset and on off but nothing. I dont want to hard reset because of the onslaught of issues everyone is reporting.... I'm in Canada and on Rogers. I have a 16gb micro SD card. All apps on phone and data (music.photos. Bids) on SD card

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
No, it's a Dev Preview GDR3.

So it's the firmware that came with GDR2, as no firmware came with Dev Prev Program.

If I were you I'd definitely check any other CSC that your variant allows and switch to one of them (hard resetting in the process) if it would allow you to download a more recent firmware.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
ATIV S on Bell in Canada here.

I upgraded yesterday and a few hours later did a hard reset. No restart bug, no other major problems, things are smooth for the most part:

One bug I came across was cell data not working. However upon research I found that manually entering the APN fixes it (on most). So I tracked down the Bell APN, entered it, and everything's been working fine since.

The only other bug is that the camera sometimes won't work. It'll load up, but the buttons are grayed out and you can't take a picture/video. Sometimes it works though. Haven't found a pattern yet.

Some rare stutters here and there, but other than that, it is stable.

Battery life is lower though. Although I can't tell if it actually is lower, or if I'm just playing with it more. Right now I have Cortana enabled and she's #3 on the battery sense drain list. Thinking of disabling her as she's little more than a dressed up tellme.

Roger Weiss

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I've done about 5 hard resets (Settings | About | Reset Phone). All is fine until you restart your phone, then it goes into the endless reboot every 30 seconds. So i guess the joke is on me trying out preview software which has now rendered my phone useless.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've done about 5 hard resets (Settings | About | Reset Phone). All is fine until you restart your phone, then it goes into the endless reboot every 30 seconds. So i guess the joke is on me trying out preview software which has now rendered my phone useless.

That's the thing though, this isn't preview software. This is the build. This was sent to developers and carriers. It's only called "preview for developers" because that's just what they chose to name the thing that enables them to bypass carriers and push updates to users.

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing though, this isn't preview software. This is the build. This was sent to developers and carriers. It's only called "preview for developers" because that's just what they chose to name the thing that enables them to bypass carriers and push updates to users.

Yeah and what happens sometimes with new operating system builds is they sometimes require new drivers and can't use the old ones due to some change. It seems the ATIV camera driver needs an update.

It's unfortunate but things like this is why the OEM is allowed to block the update. So they can update the drivers and make sure the phone functions correctly.

Carriers should have zero say though. **** them.

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So i guess the joke is on me trying out preview software which has now rendered my phone useless.

What Samsung firmware you currently have? It is the official post-GDR3 one or did you get the GDR3 with another PfD program, thus keeping an even more ancient firmware from Samsung (GDR2 era)?

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
What Samsung firmware you currently have? It is the official post-GDR3 one or did you get the GDR3 with another PfD program, thus keeping an even more ancient firmware from Samsung (GDR2 era)?

Shouldn't the phone update to the latest firmware even if there is no OS update available?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv