Sand-boxing

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I am a fan of Sand-Boxing things to get a feel for what to expect and figure out how I plan to do things. (I am moving to the Duo from a Samsung Note 10+ *It's going to be a bit odd since I have had each generation of Note from the 1st one*)
It's also fun to do while waiting for my Duo to arrive. (Here is roughly what I have done so far)
-I have loaded up MS Launcher.
-Loaded up any MS apps I was not currently using.
-I am Removing apps I currently do not/have not recently used to streamline.
-I am figuring what Samsung Apps will be able to port over (will have to see how things like S-Health & Wear will play on the Duo)
-I will see about what Apps will not be available that I currently use and develop a work-around (S-Notes are shared between family members that use Notes) stuff like that.

So far I am ok with MS Launcher, it seems smooth, I already use the MS Office Apps, OneNote has been a commonly used app. I kind of like the concept of using apps that are not Phone Vendor Specific (A carry over from work is always trying to be Vendor Agnostic)

Anyway I just started working on this today. I would be interested in peoples thoughts along these lines..

Cheers,
BR

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I am a fan of Sand-Boxing things to get a feel for what to expect and figure out how I plan to do things. (I am moving to the Duo from a Samsung Note 10+ *It's going to be a bit odd since I have had each generation of Note from the 1st one*)
It's also fun to do while waiting for my Duo to arrive. (Here is roughly what I have done so far)
-I have loaded up MS Launcher.
-Loaded up any MS apps I was not currently using.
-I am Removing apps I currently do not/have not recently used to streamline.
-I am figuring what Samsung Apps will be able to port over (will have to see how things like S-Health & Wear will play on the Duo)
-I will see about what Apps will not be available that I currently use and develop a work-around (S-Notes are shared between family members that use Notes) stuff like that.

So far I am ok with MS Launcher, it seems smooth, I already use the MS Office Apps, OneNote has been a commonly used app. I kind of like the concept of using apps that are not Phone Vendor Specific (A carry over from work is always trying to be Vendor Agnostic)

Anyway I just started working on this today. I would be interested in peoples thoughts along these lines..

Cheers,
BR

I've worried for years in mobile and device tech. So I've Amaury had the hottest, newest devices to use. Usually 3 new ones a year. With a large family, they always get handed down. Over the years I've always gravitated to the NOTE, top ene iPhone, and recenyly the pixel. With the note and the pixel, always unlocked, so no carrier software. Though that's hard with a Samsung. Always loaded with those few apps I normally use.

I opened the new year with retirement.. and that changes the buying patterm]. spent most of last year with the big NOTE 10+. Necessity, family based, moved me to the big new iPhone. And I tried to stay happy. UNTIL I saw Panos getting excited. Now i wait for the DUO. As soon as I preorderd, I move to an s10+ to get used to android again. I really don't like the s10+...too narrow. I tried rooting it...but couldnt make it wider.

The MS launcher was a pretty good go between and I now find myself enjoying it for productivity. I particularly enjoy the ability to use multiple account in the briefing area, specifically the ability to combine work/corp accounts along with the daily usage accounts. I use OneDrive since it came out, and of course office. I also enjoy some of the Google packages I got used to on the pixel. When I saw the DUO, trying to put all that together on a single device, native...I couldnt control myself.

I don't remember the actual preoder day...the day it started, but my receipt says august 12th. So, thats how long my willpower lasted.

I made several trips to best buy and got to play with the device. Hardware wise, this is a surface. It looks like one, and feels like one. The different modes were ok. The only thing I discovered,,there is always a bottom. the usbc side can never be the top. The feel in the hand was what I expected. Its big yes. But NOToverly big. the software on the device, worked well. Making an app span, took a little work, but once you figure it out, its easy. The switch between apps was fine, Being in a best buy, I could not test the connectivty response. Pics on the cam, were more pixel-ish...in that the coloring was natural rather than enhanced. The settings were Android of course. But, there is a new Microsoft and Office)Microsoft 365) additions. Under connectivity, there were quick connects for the surface pen and surface headsets.

Looking at the list of software, my only arguement would be with swiftkey. I've been trying to use it since MS bought it , and really have a hard time. I've reset it and signed in, used it for weeks and still struggle...whereas Gboard always seems to work well. So, that may be the only thing I change from the default.

I've also been trying to use a watch. Wtih apple, it was the apple watch. But I alsohave a couple samsung watches. I really don''t like using the samsung software...I purchased a cheap fossil watch to try wear os. it works ok. I did preorder the new fitbit Sense...this should cover the the lackof NFC.

Otherwise, I'm excited and getting more excited every moment. Since Im now retired, I sit and wait...they don't warn you about that in the retirement manual.

PS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium