[#SaveXboxWP] Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend. #SaveXboxWP

Some more slightly positive news on Twitter, as today the official Windows Phone (@windowsphone) account tweeted this:
With Xbox on Windows Phone, you can unlock Achievements & build your Gamerscore, even when you're on the go

While it's no major announcement like new games, the fact that they are now promoting the benefits of Xbox on Windows Phone via official channels is very promising, as it intimates that they have not given up on the platform.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend. #SaveXboxWP

Two interesting and related things happened this week. Gameloft made the price of Asphalt 8 (previously 99 cents) free and also jacked up the price of Asphalt 7 (previously 99 cents) to $5! I have been watching the sales of both titles closely since Asphalt 8 launched in November. Despite Asphalt 8 being a newer game, and being featured prominently in several Microsoft commercials on TV, Asphalt 7 (Xbox enabled) had continued to outsell Asphalt 8 (non-Xbox enabled). My belief is that Gameloft gambled and lost and is now trying to save face. They gambled that Xbox branding wouldn't matter that much to sales. Asphalt 8 was their first test of that, and I've no doubt that they were frustrated when they realized that Xbox branding does matter: the older Asphalt 7 was outselling the new Asphalt 8! So now they're trying to cover that up by making Asphalt 8 free (thereby increasing sales) and jacking up the price on Asphalt 7 (thereby decreasing sales) so that they can tell their bosses that Asphalt 8 is selling better. In my opinion, jacking up the price five-fold on such an old game that has always cost 99 cents is a huge slap in the face from Gameloft to WP gamers.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Two interesting and related things happened this week. Gameloft made the price of Asphalt 8 (previously 99 cents) free and also jacked up the price of Asphalt 7 (previously 99 cents) to $5! I have been watching the sales of both titles closely since Asphalt 8 launched in November. Despite Asphalt 8 being a newer game, and being featured prominently in several Microsoft commercials on TV, Asphalt 7 (Xbox enabled) had continued to outsell Asphalt 8 (non-Xbox enabled). My belief is that Gameloft gambled and lost and is now trying to save face. They gambled that Xbox branding wouldn't matter that much to sales. Asphalt 8 was their first test of that, and I've no doubt that they were frustrated when they realized that Xbox branding does matter: the older Asphalt 7 was outselling the new Asphalt 8! So now they're trying to cover that up by making Asphalt 8 free (thereby increasing sales) and jacking up the price on Asphalt 7 (thereby decreasing sales) so that they can tell their bosses that Asphalt 8 is selling better. In my opinion, jacking up the price five-fold on such an old game that has always cost 99 cents is a huge slap in the face from Gameloft to WP gamers.

Yep, was thinking the same exact thing. I'm hoping with windows phone 8.1 update we will get some surprises with the Xbox brand. A man can dream.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

In the seesaw saw ride that is Xbox gaming on Windows Phone, we were dealt a major blow today as Rockstar games released Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas without Xbox integration. This is a major title by a major developer, and it would've been a huge victory for the Windows Phone platform if the game had launched with Xbox branding. Instead, we have sloppy seconds: an inferior version of the iOS and Android games that were released a month ago. Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one. They should've done everything possible to ensure this game had Xbox integration. Likewise, Rockstar games deserves to be called out as well. I've added their Twitter handles to the original post.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

In the seesaw saw ride that is Xbox gaming on Windows Phone, we were dealt a major blow today as Rockstar games released Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas without Xbox integration. This is a major title by a major developer, and it would've been a huge victory for the Windows Phone platform if the game had launched with Xbox branding. Instead, we have sloppy seconds: an inferior version of the iOS and Android games that were released a month ago. Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one. They should've done everything possible to ensure this game had Xbox integration. Likewise, Rockstar games deserves to be called out as well. I've added their Twitter handles to the original post.

Inferior version?

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

No cloud saves + no MOGA support + 1 month late - Xbox Live = inferior version

I don't believe other versions have the cloud save functionality(I may be wrong).
1 month late doesn't make it inferior. Lol, dude.
The only point here is the MOGA(unless of course, others have the cloud save functionality). Other than that, I think we pretty much got the standard version

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't believe other versions have the cloud save functionality(I may be wrong).
1 month late doesn't make it inferior. Lol, dude.
The only point here is the MOGA(unless of course, others have the cloud save functionality). Other than that, I think we pretty much got the standard version

Other versions have the cloud save, other versions have Moga, other versions came a month ago. We do not have the 'standard' version. And, furthermore, we are not just a garbage dumb of sloppy seconds for 'standard' versions of games elsewhere. We are a unique mobile operating system, with a unique costumer base, including a niche of enthusiastic gamers who prefer features that come with Xbox integration. The point is that both Rockstar games and Microsoft failed in bringing over this game from iOS and Android, and we absolutely should let them know that on Twitter: #SaveXboxWP

anon(8022058)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Please Ubisoft, Rovio, Rockstar or anyone tha f*** else - bring all future games Xbox enabled. Otherwise i'll kill myself :)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm wasn't talking about app exclusivity. I was talking about the features of Xbox Live being exclusive to Xbox Live. For instance, Temple Run 2 is on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone but only the Windows Phone version has Xbox achievements. Thus, as Keith Wallace pointed out, even though all 3 platforms have the game, I see the Windows Phone version as being superior.

Exclusivity seems to be a very bad thing for customers. Why would we want that?

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Exclusiveity seems to be a very bad thing for customers. Why would we want that?

Exclusivity is what sells devices. Windows tablets sell because they're the only ones that have Office. The 3DS sells well becuase Nintendo only makes Nintendo games for Nintendo consoles. The Xbox 360 sold well because it had Halo as an exclusive. Xbox on Windows Phone is an exclusive feature that distinguishes it from iOS and Android. If you want Windows Phone to grow, you have to have exclusive features to bring people in from other platforms, things like Xbox, Office, and so forth. Without exclusives, there are no incentives for people to switch.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Please Ubisoft, Rovio, Rockstar or anyone tha f*** else - bring all future games Xbox enabled. Otherwise i'll kill myself :)

Tweet #SaveXboxWP to @UbisoftMobile @Rovio and @RockstarGames and let them know you care! Also, don't kill yourself!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Exclusivity is what sells devices. Windows tablets sell because they're the only ones that have Office. The 3DS sells well becuase Nintendo only makes Nintendo games for Nintendo consoles. The Xbox 360 sold well because it had Halo as an exclusive. Xbox on Windows Phone is an exclusive feature that distinguishes it from iOS and Android. If you want Windows Phone to grow, you have to have exclusive features to bring people in from other platforms, things like Xbox, Office, and so forth. Without exclusives, there are no incentives for people to switch.

I disagree. If WP is not good enough for me to switch anyway, why should I do so?
I understand why a company might think exclusivity is a good idea (although I think they are often wrong), but I don't understand why I, as a customer, should want it?

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I disagree. If WP is not good enough for me to switch anyway, why should I do so?
I understand why a company might think exclusivity is a good idea (although I think they are often wrong), but I don't understand why I, as a customer, should want it?

exclusivity DOES sell things, but not for the reasons you're thinking of. The fact of the matter is that every phone has exclusive things that it does and others can't. IPhones have iTunes and icloud, Android phones have widgets, WP has Xbox tie-in and live tiles, BB has a hub that connects everything together. These things are features, which are what sell a platform. Really, that's one of the only things to sell a platform based on. Advertisements are almost always "hey, our product does this and the others don't do this". Yes, exclusiveness when it comes to apps are kind of bad for the consumer, but features aren't necessarily bad, they're what differentiate that platform from others. If every platform did the same thing, why would anyone choose one phone over the other? UI by itself is a tough sell for a phone.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

exclusivity DOES sell things, but not for the reasons you're thinking of. The fact of the matter is that every phone has exclusive things that it does and others can't. IPhones have iTunes and icloud, Android phones have widgets, WP has Xbox tie-in and live tiles, BB has a hub that connects everything together. These things are features, which are what sell a platform. Really, that's one of the only things to sell a platform based on. Advertisements are almost always "hey, our product does this and the others don't do this". Yes, exclusiveness when it comes to apps are kind of bad for the consumer, but features aren't necessarily bad, they're what differentiate that platform from others. If every platform did the same thing, why would anyone choose one phone over the other? UI by itself is a tough sell for a phone.

Of course I don't mean platform features - that's for the platform vendor to decide. I'm not sure why you think I meant that? I am talking about a vendor deliberately choosing to limit something, typically an application or service, to a specific platform, typically their own.
Vendors might have their own business reasons to do this, although these are often debatable. I still don't see how it can be a good thing for customers.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Of course I don't mean platform features - that's for the platform vendor to decide. I'm not sure why you think I meant that? I am talking about a vendor deliberately choosing to limit something, typically an application or service, to a specific platform, typically their own.
Vendors might have their own business reasons to do this, although these are often debatable. I still don't see how it can be a good thing for customers.

Well, we're talking about Xbox Live on Windows Phone, which is a platform feature. That's why we thought you meant that. Xbox on Windows Phone is available to all Windows Phones. So, what exactly is the problem?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Well, we're talking about Xbox Live on Windows Phone, which is a platform feature. That's why we thought you meant that. Xbox on Windows Phone is available to all Windows Phones. So, what exactly is the problem?

Is there are reason why Xbox achievements or whatever they are called couldn't be built in Android or iOS (*) apps, so that people can get these achievements without being tied to a specific platform? That would seem to be good for the customer.

(*): I appreciate that Apple might not allow this as they have their own "game centre", which of course they should also open up.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Is there are reason why Xbox achievements or whatever they are called couldn't be built in Android or iOS (*) apps, so that people can get these achievements without being tied to a specific platform? That would seem to be good for the customer.

(*): I appreciate that Apple might not allow this as they have their own "game centre", which of course they should also open up.

The reason is because Microsoft owns Xbox and giving away their brand to competing platforms would be counterproductive to Windows Phone's growth (but not to Xbox's growth). I think that would be a really bad move for Microsoft. That said, they've already dabbled in it: Wordament is available with Xbox achievements on both iOS and Android. I believe this really hurt WP's credibility as a competing platform, and I hope Microsoft is wise enough to never do it again.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

The Xbox 360 sold well because it had Halo as an exclusive.

The Xbox 360 came out in 2005. There wasn't a Halo game until 2007 on the platform. What sold it was:

1. Xbox LIVE, which was vastly superior to PSN
2. The one-year head start the 360 had on the PS3 and Wii
3. The asinine pricing of the PS3, which put it out of the financial range of many consumers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo