SB i7/256/8 slight bulge on the back of tablet from heat?

Piratechip

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i was wondering if anyone noticed a bulge on the back of their tablet portion of the surface book. It almost feels like a distortion in the casing due to heat. If i used my hands and slid it across the lower area (below the windows logo) i can feel a slight bump. It seems to be permanent now, and I don't believe this was there before.

Do i have a defective unit? or is this normal because of the heat?

I also noticed my surface book can get up to 80~84 degrees (HWMonitor) while running on high performance mode and playing games. Is this normal?

I got my surfacebook yesterday and i am quite sad about this. Thanks the help.

Piratechip

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
that was not my thread, but thank you for the quick reply. What about the 80~85 degrees while on high performance mode and playing games? is that within normal heat range or is that too high?

Razor237xp

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I would say that seems like a normal temp if your making it do some work, not sure its normal if its just sitting idle with no load

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Piratechip

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
when it's idle it stays around 40ish. My concern is if this is something that would eventually happen due to the excessive heat, or did i really just get a bad unit. I know TechFreak1 said it was defective, but i guess a part of me is just concerned this will happen again on a exchanged unit.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
when it's idle it stays around 40ish. My concern is if this is something that would eventually happen due to the excessive heat, or did i really just get a bad unit. I know TechFreak1 said it was defective, but i guess a part of me is just concerned this will happen again on a exchanged unit.

Can you post a picture?

If the case has bubbled then it is certainly a defect or a design flaw however the latter is just conjecture at this moment.

A picture would help :)

Piratechip

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
It's not evident when i place it on a flat surface, but it is definitely there when i slide my hands across it (i've asked some friends to try it, just incase im going crazy). It is very slight, but feels more evident with heat. ): im not sure if im just being OCD. But i would think the tablet should feel uniform throughout.

Razor237xp

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I think I can feel what your talking about , seems to be a small ripple under the logo towards the bottom. Cant really see it but can feel it. Most likely a support structure is on the inside but trying to get something so thin that support may add a little deform to the flat surface. Its so slight not sure its a defect or avoidable but I could be wrong

Rattso2005

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I have this on my i7/512gb unit too. It's not really pronounced just a slight bulge starting from the bottom of the logo. Has to be a support of some sort like someone previously mentioned.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the I7/256/8 book too, and I don't feel any deformity on mine. If it's noticeable, I would suggest you take it back and get it swapped. This is a premium device with a premium price tag. It should feel perfect. Anything less and you are short-changing yourself.

For what it's worth, the build quality of my book is outstanding.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I have seen this issue discussed before. When talking about it, most people noticed a slight bulge when you swipe your hand across the metal just below the logo. It is somewhat normal.
BUT, if the processor is indicating above average temperatures, maybe the metal has warped away from the processor enough that the heat sinking is not working as well as it could. That may throttle the processor too often or make the fans run too often. I would consider exchanging it. But even if you do, expect a slight bulge where the processor is pressed into the back of the case there.

Boomwaller

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I would get it looked at/swapped. This is more then likely due to a battery bulge in the tablet. Same thing can happen to phones etc...
70-85 is a normal threshold in CPU/GPU intensive task on a thin metal machine. My old Razer Blade would hit the hot 90+ temp but it is all aluminum, and it acts as its own heat sink just like Macs.

Also side note make sure to always use the charger that it came with or an OEM one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb