Screen Protector on SP3?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got a SP3 and wondering if I should get a screen protector? Does it need it?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I put an Illumishield HD screen protector on mine. It went on easy with no bubbles. The Surface Pro 3 has Gorilla glass, but it can still be scratched by sand particles. I can't even tell I have a screen protector on.

Ray Shum

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I was going to unmask my screen protector on my SP1 until I saw this discassion. The touch of screen won't be as comfortable as glass of course, but glass is easyier to get dirty

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So yesterday I tried out a Zagg Invisible shield for SP3. The guy at Worst Buy took like 30 min to put the damn thing on. Once I left I went to a Starbucks to give it a run and I didn't like it at all. It was really think which messed up the screen sensitivity. Plus he put it on wrong and was dirty inside. I immediately took it back. I love zagg products. I have one on all my phones for years including my current 1520. But I don't like it for a tablet the size of sp3.

Oh well...i'll be trying the recommendations above.

berfles

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Zagg and it is total garbage. Bubbles are everywhere (I'm not putting their stupid water/applicator crap on a screen where speakers are so close) and it even stretched out somehow on the bottom. You can also see every single thing I've ever written on the screen. I used the hinge method of applying so there's no chance I stretched it out when putting the thing on, as soon as I find something better I'm throwing this in the garbage.

jschipmann

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
was just looking in to doing the same for mine :) glad I stopped in to see what everyone else thought.

I was looking for two specific things though.... one something that is possibly matte with anti glare to take away the shininess.... and second to get something that felt more like paper when using the pen that comes with the surface 3... the slick glossy screen makes it hard for me to attempt to write or draw.

EDIT: LMAO thats funny as I was posting mine someone posted right before me showing an anti-glare one with matte finish. A question to you how does yours feel with the pen now that you put that protector on?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
was just looking in to doing the same for mine :) glad I stopped in to see what everyone else thought.

I was looking for two specific things though.... one something that is possibly matte with anti glare to take away the shininess.... and second to get something that felt more like paper when using the pen that comes with the surface 3... the slick glossy screen makes it hard for me to attempt to write or draw.

EDIT: LMAO thats funny as I was posting mine someone posted right before me showing an anti-glare one with matte finish. A question to you how does yours feel with the pen now that you put that protector on?

It feels mostly the same as writing on glass. There's a slight difference, but not much. I think it is better than writing on the glass, but again, not much difference. I had College Algebra for the past 8 weeks (Final this Friday night), so I've been using OneNote for the math quite a bit this term. One cool thing about OneNote is that you can go into (I think) the Draw ribbon, and there's a button something like draw to math or something. It pops up a window, and you write your equations, and it will convert to text on the screen. Great for algebra and trig if you want some part of your work to be in text rather than pen.

As for swiping your finger, you can hear your finger going across more than you could if it was smooth as glass, but that's fine with me. I want the anti-glare.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's the one I have on my SP3:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2705064

Anti-glare is the way for me. And the price is right, too.
Does it make the screen grainy?
I know many screen protector that are anti-glare, doesn't use a real film that you have on decent non-glossy monitors, where light from the back can pass through fairly straight, white the other side doesn't. It's just a textured plastic sheet. The result is that small text is hard to read. And the display is appears grainy at even a large distance from the display.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You should ALWAYS get a screen protector. You don't want you greasy pizza stained fingers smearing on your screen.

Never used one and never will. It amounts to supporting a useless industry contributing pollutants to the environment to solve a problem that does not exist. As far as greasy fingers smearing the screen:

1) Anyone ever hear of those things called napkins? They have been around for awhile and work wonders when it comes to pizza and other food.
2) If one chooses to not use such things, you are still smearing your screen, just via a PET, urethane, or polymer film.
3) Glass is easier to clean and not subject to chemical destabilization/breakdown.

It is also worth pointing out that any (meaning every) screen protector creates resistance for which the active stylus was not designed. As such, it is reducing the use life of the nib at the very least and requiring the user to exert more pressure on both the screen and pen body. Sorry but this is one where people are buying into marketing claims. There are some lines of work where protectors are merited but for the vast majority of users, you are simply spending money on a value-less add on.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Of course there is some degradation. You can't put a good filter on a good camera lens and not lose some image quality noticeable to the trained eye. But the trade-off here is acceptable in my opinion. Keep in mind my eyes are 46 years old, and to add to that yesterday I got a script for reading glasses that I am now waiting on. :wink:

Here is a picture I took with the Surface lying flat on my desk so that I could show how the film, which yes, is just a piece of textured plastic as far as I can tell, diffuses the fluorescent lights glaring directly over my desk. Keep in mind that taking a picture of a digital screen never gives you good quality, and also remember that these aircraft are both exceeding 300 knots when the shutter of my camera was opened for a brief moment in time, so some blur is expected. :wink:

desktop.jpg

Here is the photo that is the desktop wallpaper for comparison:
BlueAngelsOpposingHalfSize.jpg

Yes, the coloring looks different in the image, but in reality that's the lighting here, the phone taking the picture, and other factors as well. Like I said, a picture of a computer screen will never be of high quality. Oh - and the brightness of my screen, which is only slightly more than halfway turned up.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Never used one and never will. It amounts to supporting a useless industry contributing pollutants to the environment to solve a problem that does not exist. As far as greasy fingers smearing the screen:

1) Anyone ever hear of those things called napkins? They have been around for awhile and work wonders when it comes to pizza and other food.
2) If one chooses to not use such things, you are still smearing your screen, just via a PET, urethane, or polymer film.
3) Glass is easier to clean and not subject to chemical destabilization/breakdown.

It is also worth pointing out that any (meaning every) screen protector creates resistance for which the active stylus was not designed. As such, it is reducing the use life of the nib at the very least and requiring the user to exert more pressure on both the screen and pen body. Sorry but this is one where people are buying into marketing claims. There are some lines of work where protectors are merited but for the vast majority of users, you are simply spending money on a value-less add on.

They are many people that scratch their display with the pen, as the display wasn't clean.
Sadly, Gorilla Glass is not good enough.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

It's hard to say if the screen protector would degrade the pen nib. I've been using a screen protector on mine for over a month, and my nib still looks brand new. I've used the pen on the display models that were less than a few weeks old being used on the glass, and the nibs were all worn down.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to say if the screen protector would degrade the pen nib. I've been using a screen protector on mine for over a month, and my nib still looks brand new. I've used the pen on the display models that were less than a few weeks old being used on the glass, and the nibs were all worn down.

Not to mention that the pen is a lot cheaper to replace than the glass.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So yesterday I tried out a Zagg Invisible shield for SP3. The guy at Worst Buy took like 30 min to put the damn thing on. Once I left I went to a Starbucks to give it a run and I didn't like it at all. It was really think which messed up the screen sensitivity. Plus he put it on wrong and was dirty inside. I immediately took it back. I love zagg products. I have one on all my phones for years including my current 1520. But I don't like it for a tablet the size of sp3.

Oh well...i'll be trying the recommendations above.

I'm using the Zagg Best Buy sells right now and did the same for my Pro 2. The employee's install issues aside, you generally need to wait a few days before the protector starts looking and feeling "right." Some reviewers on Best Buy's site mentioned the sensitivity on their Pro 3 units going crazy with this protector on, and mine did the same. This went away after about a day. If you end up without other avenues, maybe give them a try again.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a Zagg and it is total garbage. Bubbles are everywhere (I'm not putting their stupid water/applicator crap on a screen where speakers are so close) and it even stretched out somehow on the bottom. You can also see every single thing I've ever written on the screen. I used the hinge method of applying so there's no chance I stretched it out when putting the thing on, as soon as I find something better I'm throwing this in the garbage.

Return it. They'll take it back.

berfles

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Return it. They'll take it back.

Even if I bought it the day the SP3 came out? I don't even know if I have the receipt anymore anyway.

I like the Spigen screen protector I have on my phone so I'm giving that a shot for the SP3, only $17. I'll report back, it should be a harder film and not feel like I'm writing on silly putty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise