Screen Protectors - Wet Vs Dry Mount

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned in another thread, I just received my new Nokia Lumia 920. I understand that the glass is scratch resistant due to the Gorilla Glass. However, I'd like to have some extra protection because preventing scratches is not 100%. I was wondering what people's opinions were, especially in regards to the type of screen protector used. From what I understand the disadvantage of the dry mount type is it being smaller and not covering the curves of the glass whereas wet mounts can, but run a risk with the application and feel. I'm really looking for a protector that feels like glass (no orange skin) but still covers everything. Skinomi seems to be the choice, and several reviews on Amazon say it is as clear as glass, but not many people mention how it feels. Right now I'm using a Fosman and in the past they were great for my Lumia 900, but now for my 920 it has this oil pattern and lifts at the edges despite being trimmed smaller.

So what do others think/recommend ?

Edit: Lol, WP8 Word Flow is awesome, I typed a good majority of this post with it, haha.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always used dry mount screen protectors, but that's mainly because I've never been able to apply wet mount without ruining the screen protector. Someone else might be better at the application process than me.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just tried the wet mount for the first time ever and actually went with the Skinomi protectors. I love it much more than the dry mount ones and will never go back!

Pros: clear as glass, feels like glass, covers the ENTIRE front glass (unlike others)

Cons: although I found application easy, some others do not, my rubber case got stuck to the screen protector and when I took the case off it stretched the screen protector and it looks terrible lol

poetic25

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have always used dry screen protectors. I decided to give wet ones a try and love it! I currently have skinomi on my 920. It does feel a little rubberish when you first install it. It now feels smooth, you also get less fingerprints/oil than with a dry screen protector. I bought a full body skin but it started turning yellow quickly, I now only use it on the screen. Just take your time installing it, it's a breeze.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. After using the Fosman (dry mount) protectors, I think I'll give the wet mount a try. I'm only afraid of getting liquid into the ear piece port. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventing getting the liquid in there? Seems like the protectors require quite a bit of moisture that's why.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. After using the Fosman (dry mount) protectors, I think I'll give the wet mount a try. I'm only afraid of getting liquid into the ear piece port. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventing getting the liquid in there? Seems like the protectors require quite a bit of moisture that's why.

I'll be honest, I took a huge risk and just lathered that sucker up and just let it happen. My speaker was drenched but it worked out fine!

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
providing you give your phone enough time to dry ( recommended 24 hours ) the ear piece will be fine. It will be no more then if you are using the phone in the rain.

I run a hair dryer over mine after application to dry up as much moisture as i can so there's no sitting water in any of the pieces.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
providing you give your phone enough time to dry ( recommended 24 hours ) the ear piece will be fine. It will be no more then if you are using the phone in the rain.

I run a hair dryer over mine after application to dry up as much moisture as i can so there's no sitting water in any of the pieces.

true dat, I gave it 24 hours too. Plus it takes a lot of time before the screen protector is even settled.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll definitely be ordering a Skinomi at some point soon. The Fosman dry mount just ruins my 920. It looks nice from afar, don't even notice it, but when I pick it up I see that oil pattern from the adhesive used, and the sides the don't stick due to the slight curvature of the screen. I was wondering though, is peeling at the edges common? I've seen a few people's iPhones have these types, I think they had invisible shield though, but I usually keep my phone in my jean's pocket, was wondering how prone these are to peeling at the edges from that sort of wear. Anyone have any experience with that?

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Wet: protects the entire glass, but imprints will be permanent on the film

Dry: won't protect the entire glass, your glass edge will end up getting ruffed, scratched and so on.

You're choosing =D

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Wet, military shield from amazon, went on absolutely perfect and because its a wet rubber type install it forms to the curved screen. Hard plastic protectors will peel off.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can those with the skinomi / military shield installed post pictures of how it looks?

I'm currently trying to decide between wet and dry and had my eyes on the skinomi. Would love to see how it looks applied on the phone.

Thanks.

RetroGlide

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I had ordered a Bodyguardz full protection set for my L920 and when it arrived had noticed that it was the Gel version that came with a sachet of watery gel like substance to apply to the sticky side of the screen protector before applying.
Its turned out to be my best screen protector yet. Went on very easy and after leaving over night has turned out to look very smooth and strong. Plus you get two of everything in a pack so I now have spare should i need it.

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
IMG_0913.jpg
Can those with the skinomi / military shield installed post pictures of how it looks?

I'm currently trying to decide between wet and dry and had my eyes on the skinomi. Would love to see how it looks applied on the phone.

Thanks.

This is the Skinomi - always use them. Note the 'creases' are from when my phone took a nose dive off my dashboard. When applied it looks perfect!

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! How does it feel?
Is 'slickery' a word? Smoother than the dry types but not as slick as pure glass. It's a little softer, which is why it protects so well and even 'heals' from the dings. But yet it's very thin so its not that noticeable. Honestly I've used them since my WebOS days so it just feels normal to me!

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input and photos. Definitely going to get a Skinomi. My dry mount just got a pretty bad scratch that would appear to should have scratched the exposed sides. Gorilla glass worked for me this time, no scratches at all. I'd rather not take that chance in the future.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't recommend the Skinomi. I had it and I did not like it at all. It keeps impressions and creases and feels a bit rubbery.

I actually recommend Ghost Armor but installing it yourself because the people at the mall don't care about the phone and they have always left dust for me below the protector. They tried several times. Left dust every single time. The worst part is that they actually tried to convince me they were just bubbles that would go away in a few days. PFF.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have any other recommendations? Skinomi seems to have a reputation of being dented after. I was wondering about ArmorSuit. Seems to be the most popular on Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett