Screen Responsiveness (VIDEO)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't really tell what you're trying to do in that video, tap an icon or scroll.

If you're trying to scroll, from the video, it looks like you're barely moving your thumb 1/2 a millimeter.

Not really sure what to say here except that my phone scrolls perfectly for my preferences. I haven't owned a Samsung or HTC phone before. My last phone was an LG.

Personally I don't like screens that fly all over the place when you even look at them, seems especially unnecessary in WP7 where you only have the live tiles and you don't have a huge area to flick around in.

Like I said though, I haven't owned a Samsung or HTC so maybe it's just whatever your used to.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
"Experience". You mean the guys who already waited for months, bought the phone, used their upgrades & hence are probably more inclined to downplay any issues it may have? Hmmm. What about the others on this board who backed up my experience who do own the phone? I guess we're all lying.
Play the victim some more, it's really working.

Hang on, let me run to the AT&T store to play with a Titan for 10 minutes so I can tell everyone it has the "issues" which make all HTC handsets crap.

Look, I honestly don't care either way since I don't plan on buying the 900
Obviously you do care ;)

I did visit another completely different AT&T store today, used both 900s they had, and guess what? Same exact behavior. But alas, I don't know what I'm talking about since its not sitting here at home with me.
Well, maybe "crazy" isn't the right word..."obsessive" might be better. I'm 95% set on a 900 (at $450 outright) when the white one comes around, I've been waiting for Nokia hardware since it was announced they would be returning to the US market with WP7, and I haven't even been to a single AT&T store....

I mean, for not caring, it sure is important to visit multiple shops, make a video, create threads on issues on a fan forum whose userbase has either already encountered the issue or is aware of it, and continue to insist every Lumia 900 is defective in some way.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a HD7, Focus S and the Lumia 900. The HD7 and Focus S follow my finger very accurately. Where I place my finger and move, is where the screen will move. However the Lumia 900 trails it slighty, almost like a tiny bit of lag between where you move your finger and when the screen follows.

I tested it with Dodonpachi Maximum on the Focus S. when placing my finger directly over the space ship, it follows my finger no matter where I move it, be it a quick swipe or a slow swipe, the ship is always under my finger. When playing it on the Lumia 900, with quick swipes or slow swipes the ship always ends up at a different location than my finger.

This I can replicate with tiles on the home screen. The tile I place my finger on doesn't track with my finger if I move it quickly.

I don't really see a problem with that though because I wouldn't have any reason to need the tile to stay right under my fingertip as I scroll.

This is my first WP7 phone though. I can see where someone could be put off by different behavior after having owned another phone with the same OS that acts differently.

I haven't had any problems with precision of the touch screen in any respect, whether it's game play or anything else.

Could be something is wrong but it's just subtle enough that I can't tell.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Look, I honestly don't care either way since I don't plan on buying the 900, just reporting my own experience. I don't have to own the phone to know the screen isn't responsive. I mean, how long would that take in your opinion to notice after owning the phone? A day? A whole week?? Give me a number.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure one would notice that sort of thing right away since its basically, you know, how you interact with a touchscreen device. But have it your way.

I did visit another completely different AT&T store today, used both 900s they had, and guess what? Same exact behavior. But alas, I don't know what I'm talking about since its not sitting here at home with me.

Hmmm, now I have to disagree with you again. If you don't own the device, you haven't actually used the device other than to, essentially, fiddle around with it looking for flaws. As I have said, I have never once noticed this "issue" in actual use. I have now owned a Lumia for 5 days--and I can't say I've experienced a problem with screen responsiveness, at least not compared to my iPhone 4.

One does not have "experience" with a device after playing with it in a store. By that measure, I can say my "experience" with all Android devices is that they are ugly to look at, hard to understand, and do absolutely nothing better than either iOS or WP7. Now, regardless if that's true, it's not a fair statement for me to make. I haven't really used an Android at all, so how can I pass judgment?

You've discovered, at most, a quirk. As to the real-world consequences of said quirk, I haven't seen any.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
For those who are new to Windows Phone...

VIDEO0002.mp4 video by wadeuss - Photobucket

A quick example from my old HD7. :)

Almost looks like some inertial scrolling there.

I was just playing with my Lumia and doing the same thing the OP did. I noticed that when I start to move my finger the screen does lag a tiny bit behind. But when I stop moving my finger the screen then keeps moving a tiny bit more and stops right where my finger was originally placed.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Big Supes, I can't say that I see any difference between your video and the way my Lumia works...

That's great news. I take it your Lumia doesn't react the same way as in the OP's post? :)

Almost looks like some inertial scrolling there.

I was just playing with my Lumia and doing the same thing the OP did. I noticed that when I start to move my finger the screen does lag a tiny bit behind. But when I stop moving my finger the screen then keeps moving a tiny bit more and stops right where my finger was originally placed.

Well, it most definitely reacts differently to the speed in which you scroll. Of course, on the home screen it is geared down slightly compared to scrolling through a thousand or so songs....

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
After playing around comparing the 800 to the 900 (have both), there is some delay time in touch movement on the 900. It's not a lot, but combined with the larger screen it does feel much less responsive.

I, like most of you, will likely use the phone one handed, and in that case, it's very noticeable, even frustrating given how much slower scroll items move in comparison to the 800.

Unrelated, but I've noticed the phone also has the white pixel auto-dimming that isn't associated to any system settings. This really annoyed my on the Samsung Focus, and I'm not happy to see it on this phone.

I purchased a Lumia 900 as a replacement for my 800 which has suffered a shattered screen. Right now, I'm leaning towards returning the 900 in favour of an 800, this time in Cyan.

pstorm13

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Try removing screen protector, particularly iVisor

I've owned the original Focus, HD7, and Focus S. I notice that the scrolling my Lumia 900 was not as snappy as those other Windows Phones I've owned. On those other phones I would flick up or down on the home screen and you would notice that the screen was scrolling quickly and smoothly, on the lumia 900 it seems to take a couple more swipes. One thing that I noticed that made a big improvement today was removing the iVisor screen protector I purchased for the Lumia 900. After removing the iVisor protector I notice that the screen is more responsive. For those who notice the screen slowness, try removing the screen protector and testing it out. I notice the screen is more responsive without the screen protector. Since the iVisor is pretty thick, it could be the reason for the screen not being as responsive.

elmopio

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I read this yesterday morning and didn't get to see the video till this morning. Its a touch screen. Not a "put my finger through the screen". Unless you burnt your fingers tips off and even then, touch lightly. No need to force it. ***** if you like. I don't care.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So I can see from the videos that there is a tiny bit of difference. But 2 things...
1. I would not classify it as is problem with the phone, maybe just a hardware/software difference.

2. is it really that big a deal that you have to whine over it and cause a big hulpa?
Dude My 900 is prefectly fine the way it is. If it scrolled a little faster...Id' get used to it. If it scrolled a little slower...I'd get used to it. It doesnt scroll at any speed(fast or slow) that is useless or annoying.

I think people should find something else to worry about.

alaozx

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I own the first gen Focus and just got the Lumia. There are noticeable scrolling speed differences between the two, but I don't think the slightly slower scrolling speed on the lumia is at all that bad. I actually think it makes using the keyboard easier as it's not as sensitive as the focus was. I type more accurate and faster on the lumia 900 than I did with the focus. I think it's more of a software change in the scrolling speed than it is a hardware difference.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Screen Lag issues here too

Just wanted to add my voice to the choir. Prior to my 900 I've owned a Focus and Focus S. Compared to those, my 900 has an outstanding screen (much brighter than the S, easier to see in daylight than either) but the touch response is slower. Like others have said, it's easy to demonstrate on the home screen (tap-hold and swipe up and down quickly - screen lags behind finger action). My phone's screen responsiveness seems slower than the demo phone I played with in the Microsoft store, and I am thinking of going back to exchange it. However, the demo phone is still slower to respond than my Focus S, which makes me think Nokia probably changed the responsiveness in software somewhere so they're all going to be a little laggy (there's probably a reg setting or something adjustable in the firmware). In fact I agree with @alaozx that the keyboard is easier to use, which might be why Nokia did this.

This issue is not a deal-breaker for me, just a typical v1 problem we early adopters love to hate. In 2-3 months this will all be just a memory. I hope I can say the same for the camera image quality... :)

M

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Just compared it back to back with my HTC Arrive and it is really noticeable. It's to the point where I'm starting to wonder if this is a deal breaker. Really that bad for me. It makes the entire device seem sluggish-- you just expect the screen to follow your finger precisely and it's jarring when it doesn't.

-R

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind, not everyone has ham hands like you. This thread is nothing short of a troll post with a completely ridiculous video showing a fabricated "issue" Do us all a favor and read more and post less. :rolleyes:

The folks that have pointed this issue out are not fabricating anything. We as consumers often forget that manufacturers may use different parts from different manufacturers. And while good manufacturers have processes to validate all sourced components operate and work exactly the same, that doesn't always happen. I'm not saying this is the case. But, how do we know that Nokia hasn't sourced multiple component vendors to manufacture screens, and one (or more) of them have this behavior? Stop being ignorant and acting as if your feelings are hurt.

I can also confirm that my Lumia 900 Cyan's screen is slightly (but annoyingly) laggy (READ: NOT THE OS) when compared to my inferior Samsung Focus S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6