Searching email [TIP]

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So,I just now noticed that (in NoDo) when you are in the email, and hit the search button, it does not bring up Bing but a search to search the email!!!
It is pretty sweet.

Anybody else notice that before?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy it while it lasts. In Mango the hardware search button always takes you to Bing. I'm guessing they wanted to do away with the surprise factor, where you never know what you're gonna get when you hit the search button.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy it while it lasts. In Mango the hardware search button always takes you to Bing. I'm guessing they wanted to do away with the surprise factor, where you never know what you're gonna get when you hit the search button.

The search email button is still there in my Mangoised phone. Hitting the hardware search button takes you to the usual Bing.

I guess we'll soon get used to what the non hardware search button does within the various hubs. :)

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The search email button is still there in my Mangoised phone. Hitting the hardware search button takes you to the usual Bing.

I guess we'll soon get used to what the non hardware search button does within the various hubs. :)

That's actually disappointing. I wish MS would follow WebOS and provide more search control. They should have the hardware search button result in a list of search options like Bing, Apps, Contacts, Live Mail, Gmail, Calendar, etc. They could make a double-tap of the hardware search button take you to Bing.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
this is even dumber, i just noticed that if you hit the search button in the marketplace you can search apps!!! i was using some stupid app to do that. amazing

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
this is even dumber, i just noticed that if you hit the search button in the marketplace you can search apps!!! i was using some stupid app to do that. amazing

In mango there is a new additional search icon in the Marketplace now as the hardware search now goes to Bing where previously it would search the Marketplace. (When you were in there)

Guess they are just trying to standardize the hardware search button is Bing only in Mango.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
That's actually disappointing. I wish MS would follow WebOS and provide more search control. They should have the hardware search button result in a list of search options like Bing, Apps, Contacts, Live Mail, Gmail, Calendar, etc. They could make a double-tap of the hardware search button take you to Bing.

Universal Search using your idea of the hardware search button is a must have feature. MS doesn't appear to be getting that.

Its probably the most overlooked feature that when you show people on webOS they say wow, I wish I knew that sooner.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Universal Search using your idea of the hardware search button is a must have feature. MS doesn't appear to be getting that.

Its probably the most overlooked feature that when you show people on webOS they say wow, I wish I knew that sooner.

I like the way it's setup right now in NoDo. If I'm in email, it searches email. If I'm in Music, it searches Music. If I'm in Apps, it searches Apps and Games. I didn't like it when it searched music, apps, games when all I was looking for was a game. A universal search feature would make it even worse: apps, games, music, email, web, etc... IMO.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I like the way it's setup right now in NoDo. If I'm in email, it searches email. If I'm in Music, it searches Music. If I'm in Apps, it searches Apps and Games. I didn't like it when it searched music, apps, games when all I was looking for was a game. A universal search feature would make it even worse: apps, games, music, email, web, etc... IMO.
Then disable the feature.

That's the point of features: to allow the customer more control over the experience. If I prefer the feature & you don't we both can have our cake & to eat it too.

Besides, this is best done from the homescreen and not within any particular app.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Then disable the feature.

That's the point of features: to allow the customer more control over the experience. If I prefer the feature & you don't we both can have our cake & to eat it too.

Besides, this is best done from the homescreen and not within any particular app.

Oh, there's a disable feature? Well why didn't you say so? That would be the perfect world.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh, there's a disable feature? Well why didn't you say so? That would be the perfect world.

Well when properly implemented, yes. In fact it would have the ability to add any given level of detail to Universal Search functionality: Apps, Games, Music, Email, Web, Contacts, Docs, etc.

So you could call it, More or Less Universal Search.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler