Setup/Restore tips when I move from my 920 to my 830?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've never transferred my stuff from one WP to another and want to make sure it goes smoothly on Friday. Currently on a 920 on ATT, with 8.1 Update, Cyan and running DP.

I'd like to restore from a backup so I can keep all my apps, settings, start screen, etc. I plan to keep music, photos and videos on an SD card because I've got about 14GB worth and my 920 is currently maxed out on storage (I have about 200MB free).

Will I need to do any updates out of the box, before doing anything else?
Can I tell the phone to split my restoration so that music, photos and videos are restored to the SD card and everything else is restored to the 830's internal storage?
Anything else I should be aware of? Any other tips?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Since the 830 already has Windows Phone 8.1, it'll act just threw same as if you hard reset your 920.

It'll ask you to log in to the same account you have your 920, then it'll find the most recent back up and load it up. So biggest tip is to back up your 920 prior to starting up your 830 if you change anything, then you're set. :D

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
To answer your question the answer is no. You can't restore a partial back up that im aware of.

So im assuming your stuff is backed up, and the 920 has internal storage only, you may want to update to 8.1 without a restore, then restore it with your back up. Problem is I don't know for sure how much internal storage your new phone will have. If you have 32GB internally them what I described above wont do more than eat up an hour or two. This method requires using Microsoft's app Files (First party file manager) to move your media to the SD card.

If you DONT have that much internally, I suggest backing all your media to a computer in a folder or whatever, delete it off your phone, THEN perform a back up so everything that isn't pictures, music, videos, etc gets saved minus the 14GB of media.

Then go ahead, update the phone, restore from the media-less back up, and either load all your media to the SD card from your computer to it directly, or insert the SD card into your phone, hook it up to your PC, and navigate to the card and drag-n-drop your media to it.

Hope this helps!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Do the backup: Settings>Backup>app list+settings>backup now. My understanding is that not only will everything be restored but even your Start Screen layout will be set just the way you had it on older phone.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
To answer your question the answer is no. You can't restore a partial back up that im aware of.

So im assuming your stuff is backed up, and the 920 has internal storage only, you may want to update to 8.1 without a restore, then restore it with your back up. Problem is I don't know for sure how much internal storage your new phone will have. If you have 32GB internally them what I described above wont do more than eat up an hour or two. This method requires using Microsoft's app Files (First party file manager) to move your media to the SD card.

If you DONT have that much internally, I suggest backing all your media to a computer in a folder or whatever, delete it off your phone, THEN perform a back up so everything that isn't pictures, music, videos, etc gets saved minus the 14GB of media.

Then go ahead, update the phone, restore from the media-less back up, and either load all your media to the SD card from your computer to it directly, or insert the SD card into your phone, hook it up to your PC, and navigate to the card and drag-n-drop your media to it.

Hope this helps!
So, if on his current storage settings (On the 920) he has it set to store music, videos and pictures on the SD card, wouldn't that setting apply on the new phone when the restore is being done? I'm asking now. Ooops! never mind, the 920 doesn't have that option for the SD card does it?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
32GB internal storage on the 920, but no SD card. The 830 only has 16GB internal storage. I considered moving all my music, videos and photos to my PC then just loading directly onto the 830's SD card, but I think it will mess up the time-stamp for photos and videos. So the Camera Roll will say that everything was shot the day I set up my phone. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
32GB internal storage on the 920, but no SD card. The 830 only has 16GB internal storage. I considered moving all my music, videos and photos to my PC then just loading directly onto the 830's SD card, but I think it will mess up the time-stamp for photos and videos. So the Camera Roll will say that everything was shot the day I set up my phone. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

I don't think WP is so behind that moving pics to your PC will do anything more than add an edited time stamp along with the original time stamp it. Plus if you have your camera roll set up to back up your pics to OneDrive, those copies will have the original time stamps on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizmizo