Should I buy a Lumia 950 / 950XL?

IRBarney

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Would love to hear opinions on my current dilemma...

Should I buy a Lumia 950 or 950 XL now?

Background: Been an "Insider" since the program started. Had a 1020, but 12 months ago purchased a 650, with the aim of trading it in for a "Surface Phone" sometime around now. (the talk at the time was Q2release, and I also thought it would be likely) The sale on the 950s have been and gone, they are no longer on the Microsoft website, but they can still be found on ebay or amazon.

For the last ten years or so I've always had a top tier phone, but figured the 650 would be good to last for a year until a real top tier Microsoft phone appeared. The 650 is actually a really good phone, but I would like something bigger and more powerful. I could buy the HP, but don't really want to spend a relatively large sum of money (currently on sale at C$750), just in case the fabled unicorn surface phone does appear sometime within the next 12 months or so.

So....I'm debating whether to stick with the 650 and cross my fingers that some kind of announcement comes soon...ish, or I buy a 950 (C$350ish) / 950 XL (C$450ish) from somewhere. If buying a 950 / 950 XL which one would you buy? (Oh, and I'm in Canada....where everything is more expensive!)

Looking forward to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, it might be better to wait. The last Lumia (which, coincidentally was the 650) was released more than one year ago. Going forward, there's no telling when these last couple of Lumias will stop being supported. On the other hand, you might get a 950 or 950XL at a bargain, in which case it couldn't hurt to get one anyway.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
True that. I just got my 650 a few weeks ago, coming off a 640. I got it for $0.99 when Cricket had that sale. I don't regret it one bit.
8)
Why not consider that Acer or the Alcatels? Or another way, I know I looked at the M8 & 830 for a good while.

It's also true that with some Interop'ing, you can get a form of Continuum going with the 640/XL using Miracast & Bluetooth. FYI, my 640 is now my designated streamer..

I'm sure there's bound to be some sales coming. And.... Cerulean is coming. I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll be good. 8)

IRBarney

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

The Alcatel is on sale right now for about C$530, but the reviews I've read seem to be mixed. I'll probably wait until after the event they have coming up, just on the slight chance that something gets mentioned.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's the way these things go, isn't it? We're always waiting for the next best thing. That mindset however, has us eternally unfulfilled as what we have or can get just might not be the best..

Just sayin

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a 950XL for three months... a joy to use. Beats my previous 1520 in every possible way except that beast has a super large viewing screen.
I bought mine for ~USD386 (SIM-free which is normally how phones are sold here), it's way below the launching price of USD680.
If you can find a good deal, get it.

Superb screen & camera. Down side is average battery life and it still heats up. But really... zero regrets

I cannot comment on non-lumia/msft phones cos those are just not sold here.

... !!

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
If you are 100% sure you want to stay in the W10M ecosystem and you trust MS then I would go after the 950/XL as their prices dropped. What you should consider is that we don't know for sure what is happening with W10M, as they've put new insider builds on another development branch (feature2) and that nobody knows for sure if and when the "surface phone" is coming. I would like you to bare in mind that Samsung released S8 with iris scanner (first time it was used on the 950) and Samsung Dex which is basically android version of Continuum, except I must admit it looks nicer and has more features + the S8 is being marketed by MS which never happened before (hint hint - MS might have worked with them) and that the 950 is soon going to be 2 years old.
Good luck!

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Go with the 950 XL!! I've had it for about a month now, and love it! I tried the IDOL 4S for 3 weeks; excellent phone; premium build and feel, but the camera let me down. I take a ton of pics, so i needed a better camera. I returned it, and picked up the 'International' version of the 950 XL on Amazon.ca. It was almost $200 cheaper than than the XL being sold in the Microsoft store. The instructions were written in German (but i could figure everything out by looking at the pics), the charger has a European plug on it, but it came with the North American adapter included, so not problem. The camera on the 950 XL is super awesome!! The screen looks amazing. When i show my friends pics i've taken, they are always impressed with this phone!

IRBarney

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
With the announcement from ARM today it could possibly be the surface phone coming later in the year...

"Fifth, we have an opportunity to disrupt the existing suppliers of the PC and the datacenter. Our Snapdragon 835 is expanding into Mobile PC designs running Windows 10, which are scheduled to launch in the fourth calendar quarter this year. "

By the time the fourth quarter comes around the 835 chip is going to be nearly a year old, so I'm presuming it won't be the "latest and greatest" chip anymore. This chip is currently powering the Galaxy S8...yes, I suppose it could run a tablet, but it seems, to me at least, that a "mobile device" is more likely.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
With the announcement from ARM today it could possibly be the surface phone coming later in the year...

"Fifth, we have an opportunity to disrupt the existing suppliers of the PC and the datacenter. Our Snapdragon 835 is expanding into Mobile PC designs running Windows 10, which are scheduled to launch in the fourth calendar quarter this year. "

By the time the fourth quarter comes around the 835 chip is going to be nearly a year old, so I'm presuming it won't be the "latest and greatest" chip anymore. This chip is currently powering the Galaxy S8...yes, I suppose it could run a tablet, but it seems, to me at least, that a "mobile device" is more likely.

I was thinking the same thing!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Even though W10M is in dire straits, I'd still get a Lumia 950 XL for its camera.

Just browse through the pictures taken by the owners and tell me if you're not amazed.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/395344-22.htm#post3654188

Something from week ago, a casual shot of grasses. Some very very close-cropping and editing for IG.
The camera picks up on the delicate details, always.

CWuWD4o.jpg

Edit : The Instagram pic is 733x733 small compared to the original 3008x5344
I cant upload the original photo to WC for some reason... its portrait 16:9

... !!

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
We can always worry about the future, or live in the moment. If you think you will enjoy using one of those phones, why not get one? They won't stop working if something bigger comes along.
Good luck!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Edit : The Instagram pic is 733x733 small compared to the original 3008x5344
I cant upload the original photo to WC for some reason... its portrait 16:9

You have to reduce the size on larger jpg files to fit the forum. I think the limit is about 3.5MB...

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
You have to reduce the size on larger jpg files to fit the forum. I think the limit is about 3.5MB...

Hmm... I'm using mTalk for WC forums, I don't seem to have problem posting same files in landscape orientation... perhaps its a app bug.

... !!

Test upload 3.9mb
8UZCj7T.jpg

Seems Ok !!

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
The 950 is twice the phone the 650 is. Get the experience Microsoft wants you to have with the 950. Who knows if there will ever be a surface phone. If Microsoft had one In development they would say something to excite their base. Right now they are dust in the wind.

IRBarney

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Some of those photos are stunning. Very impressive. Decided to get a 950 off eBay. Think it works out at about C$350 or so. Not too bad, I suppose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos