Should I buy a Windows phone in 2018 that was bought in 2106 but not used?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My old android (Samsung) is ready for replacement. My sister offered me her new-in-the-box Windows phone that she bought maybe in 2016? She got her regular phone wet so bought the Windows phone maybe two years ago. Then she managed to dry out her original phone and just kept using that and never even activated the new one. I don't want to spend a lot of money, nor to cheat her if she could get any real money for this from someone else. But it seems like Windows phones are not supported any more? I'd never actually heard of them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you get it free, go ahead and try it. But unless you hated Android, or have something personal against Google and/or Apple, you probably won't like Windows phone. It's not supported well anymore, and good apps are getting harder and harder to come by.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Depends on which Windows Phone it is, if it's the Elite X3 or the L950 XL your sister will get some decent cash for either of these phones. You can get the L950 for about £80 to £100 now, I got my L950 XL for £124.99 (£5 for delivery) it's only got a little dent at the top left corner and beyond that it's in pretty good condition.

In comparison to either of these phones, the only other decent windows phones are L930 and L1520. However, you will be hard pressed to find the Lumia 1520 now as it's still a stellar device albeit it won't be getting the creators update like the L950s. You can buy the Lumia 930 for as little as £30 now - it goes for £30 to £60 now.

Beyond these... it's not worth spending much as none have a camera that can match the Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, Lumia 930 and the Lumia 1520.

The Elite X3 but it makes up the value with the specs and it's accessories suchas the Lapdock. The other Windows phone of note is the Windows phone of HTC One M8 (Windows Phone variant) but that was sold in the US only (officially). Beyond these phones, spend as little as possible on any Windows Phone as Microsoft although is supplying updates is not actively developing the platform - case in point Microsoft pay is "available on the Lumia 950 XL" but officially cannot be used anywhere else but the USA.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
My old android (Samsung) is ready for replacement. My sister offered me her new-in-the-box Windows phone that she bought maybe in 2016? She got her regular phone wet so bought the Windows phone maybe two years ago. Then she managed to dry out her original phone and just kept using that and never even activated the new one. I don't want to spend a lot of money, nor to cheat her if she could get any real money for this from someone else. But it seems like Windows phones are not supported any more? I'd never actually heard of them.

If it's a nokia yes, on a few conditions:

1) You don't use a truck tonne of apps
2) You're not wildly into smart things
3) You don't mind not having a banking app

The windows app platform is pretty decent. All the basics are covers - photos, maps, music, social media etc. Nokia phones have some excellent cameras. MSFT intergration is good, and there's a few unique features like the live tiles, texting whilst driving via voice.

I'm happily using a nokia 950. Love the camera, the screen and the audio quality.

If you go for it, you might find the budget ones a bit slow - and DEFINATELY do every single possible upgrade before even using it. Early versions were very buggy.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If it's a nokia yes, on a few conditions:

1) You don't use a truck tonne of apps
2) You're not wildly into smart things
3) You don't mind not having a banking app

The windows app platform is pretty decent. All the basics are covers - photos, maps, music, social media etc. Nokia phones have some excellent cameras. MSFT intergration is good, and there's a few unique features like the live tiles, texting whilst driving via voice.

I'm happily using a nokia 950. Love the camera, the screen and the audio quality.

If you go for it, you might find the budget ones a bit slow - and DEFINATELY do every single possible upgrade before even using it. Early versions were very buggy.

I agree.
If you know what you are getting and not expecting to have all the extras of an Android or iPhone there is nothing wrong with a 950xl or even an HP Elite x3. You can get the Nokia at a very decent price.

joinrohit

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
I am afraid there are several apps that are no longer being developed or updated for Windows platform.

Though Windows always had a great hardware, the software side was and still is weak.
Please keep the above in mind.

PS. Always wanted to have a 950XL...never could own!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Do we know what Windows phone it is? As long as you don't mind not having certain apps and just want a smartphone for basic internet, social media and email then it should be fine.

smartblu

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Why not but what will happened when MS will close their "Application Store" servers ??? Let's assume you need to reset your beautiful Lumia, what happened after ? No Server, no update, the apps you get after a Reset are VERY old and obsolete ... I think 2020 will be the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas