Should i buy a wp now or later?

cuek80

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, i m new here.
I waa thinking of trying out WP, but after browsing about it for some time, I have doubt.
1. WP9 iscomming soon? Should i wait until it released to make sure which phone get the update?
2. Metro UI rumored to be ditch on WP9, it was even said that the UI will get a massive overhaul. Will i like the new UI?
3. BBM. Anyone know exactly when it will be released?

I had the chance to play with nokia 520 in a store, and really think its a good device, cheap enough, but run very smooth. I love the simplicity and clean interface.

I m a long time bb user, from bold 9000 to recent Z10, and i also have android device, htc desire vc. I m planning to switch the htc with WP.
Any suggestion, recommendation, comment, is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

Sent from my HTC Desire VC using WPCentral Forums mobile app

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about UI. Microsoft sometimes makes crazy decisions/things but they aren't going to completely overhaul UI. They now have very similar UI on PCs, tablets, Xbox and phones. And apart from haters everyone else like it or at least don't have problem with Modern UI. I guess WP 8.1 will be released around May/June (best scenario).

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
hey cuke80 welcome to wpcentral
Lumia 520 is fast and smooth windows phone (actually all the windows phone are fast and smooth).
all the windows phone 8 devices will get the next taste of windows phone (wp8.1) in early 2014 may be by April in //build.
I would suggest you to wait and buy Lumia 525 ,below are the reasons
-> Lumia 520 is bundled with 512 MB ram which is good enough for moderate users but when it comes to gaming it is not sufficient for handling graphics
-> Lumia 525 comes with 1 GB ram which can run all the games present in wpstore like subway surfers ,temple run 2 etc.

although these apps will be ported for 512 Mb devices but it wont be as smooth gameplay when compared to 1 GB handy.

no metro UI wont be ditched in next version, its the heart of windows phone and windows 8.

cant say about bbm,I prefer using msn or whatsapp.

cuek80

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I just search about 525 and it was said to be launched here in indonesia on Jan'14. Though already available now in china, singapore, vietnam.
Looks good and the price seems not much more expensive than 520's.

in fact, I am planning to go to singapore next Jan for vacation, might as well buy it there if the launched date here got delayed :p

But how about 520/525? You guys think it is good enough or better to take better model? If yes, any recommendation which model is worth the price?

- I dont play games
- I dont watch movie on phones
- camera doesnt have to be soooo great, decent is enough.
- I do browse a lot

so i kinda think bigger screen is better, though most of them are much more expensive. I honestly dont think that it is worth it to pay for more than twice of 520's price for the bigger screen (which the only thing that I want from the specs)

Thanks for all the replies :)

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If you want bigger screen what about Lumia 625? Since you don't play games 512 MB RAM should'n be problem. Or maybe Lumia 1320 this model is more expensive though.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
enjoy your holidays ! X
525 go get it , who knows what features will be available for 512 MB devices in next release for windows phone, 1 GB is seen on Lumia 820,920,925,925 but now a cheap variant Lumia 525.
cant wait to upgrade my dad's Lumia 520 to Lumia 525.

Lumia 525 can handle better multitasking due to 1 GB ram, also I think internet explorer will be more responsive due to additional ram.

Himanshu
xxx

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
First off, welcome to wpcentral! Windows 8.1 is coming REAL soon, and is going to be a major upgrade from WP8. The rumor about ditching the UI look was false, even the WP Development team made fun of him on twitter. I'm sure that phones that came out this year, especially the 1020 and 1520, will get WP8.1. Also about BBM, it should come soon, either official or 3rd party.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
And yes, I suggest to wait for the 525. It is the same as the 520, but double the RAM. It does make a difference. Do you want a big screen but still not as expensive as the major flagships? I suggest the 625 or the 1320.

cuek80

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcomes.
I just browse about 1320 and 625. I must say thanks for the recommendations. I think those two are more fit to my need.
Do you think the RAM difference (512 vs 1024) is very important for non gamer users?
If not, I think I ll get 625.
Cant imagine holding 6" phone :D

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
cant say about ram its personal preference , who knows what features of windows phone 8.1 will be only for 1gb ram .
625 is a nice mid range phone,though the screen is bix but its not a high quality screen looks lil pixilated ,wher as 1320 has a 720p hd screen.
you can either gor for lumia 525 or 625.
not a gamer no issues go and get lumia 625 for bigger screen .

pveezy

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I really hope they don't change the Metro UI. It is fantastic and really forward thinking vs the icons used on Android and iPhone. Metro is what has me interested and excited with Windows again.

IMO the main people knocking Metro and the desktop PC luddite crowd who are obsessed with the mouse (1970s technology) and don't want to/can't afford to jump to touch screen. Windows 8 is fantastic on a touch screen computer, and there is a reason that pretty much every computer sold in the Microsoft store is a touch screen all in one or laptop or tablet.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you don't play a lot of games, that is fine with 512 MB.

I'd prefer 1024 RAM only because it seems more future proof(this is just a guess for me, 512 could be future proof as well) but sometimes a few apps every now and then may only work with phones with 1 GB or more.

If you are fine with the 520, then just go with the 525 which is less than the 625 and 1320 and has 1024 MB of ram and is a good price.

If you want something bigger but not as big as the 1320, then get the 625...Most windows phone apps DO work on 512 MB phones, I believe like 95 or 98 percent of the apps will work fine :)

I couldn't imagine holding a 6 inch phone myself and i now own the big 1520 and I now can't ever see myself using anything less than 6 inches :D you might be the same if you get the 1320 :D

I don't see microsoft ditchign the Metro UI in WP9, especially with rumors of WIndows RT and Windows phone merging together so no worries there<3
Thanks for the warm welcomes.
I just browse about 1320 and 625. I must say thanks for the recommendations. I think those two are more fit to my need.
Do you think the RAM difference (512 vs 1024) is very important for non gamer users?
If not, I think I ll get 625.
Cant imagine holding 6" phone :D

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Never buy later. Not unless the next major thing is on the horizon. In this case we are still a while off before something new even shows up on the forecast. I say get a Windows Phone now. Aim for something with 1 gig of ram if you want to have some future proofing.

Keep in mind there are games that won't run with 512mb. Games like Temple Run 2, and a few other higher spec'd games. I personally would go the distance and buy a 1320. Newer hardware, and a higher res display. But if you are looking for just the phone, the 625 should please you greatly. You really can't go wrong with anything here.

I got my mom a 520, and her only complaint is rather short battery life. Everything else she appears to be pleased with. So... to totally counteract what I said. You should be fine with a 512mb device. You still have the vast majority of apps available to use, and if you are going to be reading the news, or surfing the net, all devices should be good for you.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I dont think the RAM makes any distinctive difference if your not a gamer. Btw Temple Run 2 is coming for 512 versions as well.
Never buy later. Not unless the next major thing is on the horizon. In this case we are still a while off before something new even shows up on the forecast. I say get a Windows Phone now. Aim for something with 1 gig of ram if you want to have some future proofing.

Keep in mind there are games that won't run with 512mb. Games like Temple Run 2, and a few other higher spec'd games. I personally would go the distance and buy a 1320. Newer hardware, and a higher res display. But if you are looking for just the phone, the 625 should please you greatly. You really can't go wrong with anything here.

I got my mom a 520, and her only complaint is rather short battery life. Everything else she appears to be pleased with. So... to totally counteract what I said. You should be fine with a 512mb device. You still have the vast majority of apps available to use, and if you are going to be reading the news, or surfing the net, all devices should be good for you.

cuek80

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for all input.
I do want higher specs, but honestly, some of the feature that makes the phone become more expensive is not important for me, like amoled, high MP camera with special lenses etc :p
My main priority are processor, RAM, gpu, screen size, even the storage is not really a problem for me usually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster