Should I get the 930?

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Recently I just came back off holiday. I have a white Lumia 1020 and was loving taking photos with that phone, strangely it annoyed me that the photos were not perfect. So I have decided to stop using the 1020 for photos and upgrading to a DSLR.

So I have few questions. What's photo speed like with the 930? There is quite a delay with the 1020, I know the quality is less so it should be quicker. Also does it run faster than 1020/920? Does the quad core make much of a difference? My 1020 has felt choppy recently but I do have the dev preview...

Just wondering if this is a decent upgrade? Extra screen space sounds nice and not having the bump of the camera in my pocket. 1020 eBay prices are still quite good so thinking now is the time to sell...

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice! My 1020 is white too, but thinking of a change this time. Think you will use a case? The 1020 has rounded edges and slippy as hell so I had to just to grip it!

Actually I know the quality will be fine being pureview and 20mpx its just the speed that it processes and saves the photos im wondering, 1020 was slow at this. So taking a quick second photo was frustrating at times.

The design of the phone reminds me of the iPhone 4 which was my favourite phone design ever. Really love the look.

SearleyMoto

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks mate!

I hadn't really thought about a case, I don't usually use one whatever phone I have. I might take a look and see what's available though.

Yeah I know what you mean about the rounded edges, the 930 feels great to hold though, as you say very similar to the iPhone 4 (also my favourite design). I'll be testing the camera out properly over the weekend so check my thread for updates. I'm guessing it'll take a second or two to process/save a photo before letting you take another pic. Although I'm sure there's a burst mode somewhere isn't there?

I think if you really love taking pics with your phone then it's hard to beat an iPhone, burst mode on my 5S is crazy fast! I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 6 when it's released. My 930 is my business phone.

masshuu

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Nice! My 1020 is white too, but thinking of a change this time. Think you will use a case? The 1020 has rounded edges and slippy as hell so I had to just to grip it!

Actually I know the quality will be fine being pureview and 20mpx its just the speed that it processes and saves the photos im wondering, 1020 was slow at this. So taking a quick second photo was frustrating at times.

The design of the phone reminds me of the iPhone 4 which was my favourite phone design ever. Really love the look.

I'm also considering changing from the 1020 to 930....
The 1020 is so slippy that I have broken the screen twice, so I really don't want a phone where the screen protrudes in front so much.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a white Lumia 1020 and was loving taking photos with that phone, strangely it annoyed me that the photos were not perfect. So I have decided to stop using the 1020 for photos and upgrading to a DSLR.

Ive got a 1020 and gotta say i agree, coming from a 920 i expected to leap to be bounds but figured out its almost impossible to take photos with focus items not moving AT ALL...still items will turn out excellent but even the slightest movement will cause my pictures to blur.

Looking at the 930, i can see why you're considering it...the body design is excellent (god i hate the lack of grip on 1020/920) and with that amazing big display, just plain awesome. Good luck, ill keep an eye to see what you plan to do. I may consider the same in the future.

masshuu

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I went and tested loads of phones the other day, and I have to say that the 930 was lovely and much faster than the 1020. Most importantly faster at taking photos, and the photos were just about the same comparably as the 1020.

I decided against buying it, as it is still too slow compared to every top end android phone and iphone that I tried. I feel it isn't really usable in a life situation. I will sell my 1020 and use my Sony z1s because it's water-proof and has expandable memory, and has all of the apps that I use.

anon(4213556)

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Same question. I'm new and contemplating the 930. Read that everything is good but the battery life. Any comments guys ? The review site can be somewhat harsh and unrealistic at times, wonder what's the experience you guys have

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Get the 1520 if you don't mind the size, since it has the glance screen and micro sd card support to 128gb, but that is only if you don't mind the size.

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The 930 actually looks and feels better in real life then the pictures, in terms of ergonomics I prefer it over my HTC One m8 and the screen is fantastic really shows off windows phone modern UI!

However the biggest disappointment for me is the poor battery life the best I can get is about 14-15hrs standby on moderate use. On heavy use I barely can get 10hrs!! :( I now carry a monster powercard in my wallet this gives me an extra 35% battery usage.

Also there is a issue about it running quite hot especially at the bottom right but you can minimise that by switching off non essential apps running in the background in the battery saver settings. I think the reason it runs a bit hot is because of Snapdragon 800 processor and this processor is not the most efficient when it comes to battery like the 801 which could explain the poor battery life!

Tschonatschan

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, for me there isn't a battery issue. It drains during the day about 80% with heavy usage (regular phone usage, ~4h music streaming, up to 2h gaming,...). The 20% left are lasting for about another 8h, that should get you through the night ;) In my opinion this is ok nowadays. It's not great, but ok.
The major issue is the screen. Because of the purple hue, you probably did read about...
Otherwise it's a real great phone.

As far as photography is concerned, you should be aware of the color of your phone. If you want to make some Macro pictures, you will recognize the bright green/orange...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz